Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pearl Free Floating Steel Shell Snare 14"x6,5" 1st Generation - year of manufacture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Free Floating Steel Shell Snare 14"x6,5" 1st Generation - year of manufacture?

Tags: first generation Free Floating System Timeline history back catalogue production year fabrication date year of manufacture produced during which year

Hey there,

I got a Pearl Free Floating System Steel Shell Snare 14" x 6,5" 1st Generation (hexagonal lugs) (Pearl S 025 Strainer, I guess)

I wonder if it`s possible to determine the year of manufacture by means of the Bagde Serial Number (Serial No.) and where it was built (Japan, Taiwan, China, Korea etc.)
    ---> my serial number: 867630

As far as I know the 1st generation of free floating system Snares started 1983 or 1986 until 1998 (what is correct?)

I thought I found that information on a post at pearl?s forum some time ago, but I could be wrong

I can post pictures if needed

Greetz,

Marc
    Last edited by black-pearl; 11-20-2013, 05:57 AM.

Pictures always help as for the serial numbers, they mean nothing unique, they don't keep records of the serial numbers for anything except masterworks drums. I discovered that 15 odd years ago trying to date my kit. As for the age, the 2nd generation of free floaters with the round lugs began somewhere around 92-94ish if I am remembering correctly. I bought my first FF in '97, and it was a second gen and they had been out a few years. The last catalog I have that still has the hexagonal lugs is from '91 so I know they were still first gen at that time.....

And pics.....even if it doesn't help more with the years, we still like pics around these parts

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Gene Okamoto sent me 2 flyers where you can see that the free floating Snare debuted in 1983.
      So the starting date seems to be clear now

Here`s some pictures of the snare:
      Attached Files

Comment

Free Floater Flyer, 1983, back.pdf

Free Floater Flyer, 1983, front.pdf

Comment

I had that exact same drum. Sounded fantastic with a coated pinstripe on it and cranked to high heaven!

I *think* the 2nd gen (round lugs and new strainers) debuted in 93, but I could well be wrong
          sigpic
          PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
          22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
          PICSPICS 2
          “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
          Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Comment

Thanks for sharing the flyers....I collect all old Pearl literature I can, and I had not seen those! Added to the collection now.

I used to have that exact model as well....it is the one FF I had that I sold, and I have regretted it ever since It sounded very good, I ran an Evans ST Dry on it and it was wonderful, but I got a 8" brass and at the time financially one had to go, so the steel lost. I would love to have another one like it if, if I ever find one when I have some spare cash I will buy it!

93 sounds right to me too, but I was not positive, so i guessed the 92-94 range I would love to see a definitive Free Floating timeline/history....maybe one day it will get put together......Gene or Al, any you guys put in work in on this you would want to share?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrush View Post
              I *think* the 2nd gen (round lugs and new strainers) debuted in 93, but I could well be wrong
              You are absolutely correct.

I have a 6.5" steel G2 that is in dire need of spare parts and some maintenance, and am picking up an 8" brass G2, tonight!
              1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
              1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
              1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
              1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
              1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black
              Roland TD-20SX
              Roland TD-30KV

Comment

Originally posted by gyorpb View Post
                You are absolutely correct.

I have a 6.5" steel G2 that is in dire need of spare parts and some maintenance, and am picking up an 8" brass G2, tonight!
                Now I am jealous I have a 1st gen 8" brass, but would love to have the 2nd gen hardware with that shell. I like the 2nd gen stuff the best, it is just my favorite.

Comment

If you`re interested I`m going to sell this drum (but I`m located in Germany)

So the history of the FF 1st Generation Snare is from 1983-1993 ???
                  Just for the record

Can anyone tell if it`s an older or newer 1st Generation FF?
                  Last edited by black-pearl; 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I always wanted an 8" deep FF snare, and I can't think of a better shell to have in that size than brass - get pics up when you get it!
                    sigpic
                    PICSPICS 2
                    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

Comment

I shall.

I was already toying with the idea of converting my 6.5" steel to an 8" [something], since I had trouble finding the FT-65 lugs, but could find the FT-80's. Then this "new" one came along, and I just couldn't resist.

I'm still toying with the conversion idea on the steel shelled one, though… I could make a CZX FF out of it by dropping in an 8", 10-ply Keller maple shell and covering it in bird's eye maple veneer… that would rock.
                      Roland TD-20SX
                      Roland TD-30KV

Comment

That would be very cool!

I've gone off the idea of an 8" deep snare myself over the last few years - although I wouldn't pass up a Premier HR9 if I found a good one. The other FF I always wanted was an acrylic one. I just think the chassis really lends itself to the acrylic look. I'd quite like a 6.5 version in either clear or light smoke acrylic
                        sigpic
                        PICSPICS 2

Comment

Acrylic has been one of the shell options I have been pondering for a while. But there's just too many colours to pick from! Clear would be cool, as would smoke, but what about Day-Glo green? It'd be an ORAC free-floater!
                          Roland TD-20SX
                          Roland TD-30KV

Comment

This has given me an idea for a new thread: What would your signature snare be?
                            Roland TD-20SX
                            Roland TD-30KV

Comment

Here's my first gen 8" brass, I know it has some scuffs and spots and such but the way it sounds I won't touch it

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4233.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	5175829

I have often contemplated an acrylic shell too, they are quite affordable from drumfactorydirect.com and drummaker.com. My issue was color as well....I just can't decide which I like better. I just posted in your new thread too as well great idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X