Feedback on my Sensitone Steel Snare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on my Sensitone Steel Snare

In the event that any forum members are looking for a new snare, I thought I would post my impressions of my Sensitone Steel Snare.

I have the 5 1/2 x 14 inch drum, and am very happy with the drum.

Why? I re-started drumming about 2 years ago, and very soon succumbed to GAS, buying a brass snare, an acrolite, a sensitone vision (learned my lesson there!), two maple snares, one deep, one shallow, I had to have them all, as we all know there are so many different sounds right?

Err, maybe, but then you have to TUNE them, doh! This is where it got tricky, and frustrating, until I got to the point I just wanted a basic, easy to tune, easy to use snare, I had spent way too long, of my already limited playing time, messing around with replacing heads, snare wires, tuning, snake oil, you name it, I tried it!

Having lurked on PDF for a while, and added bits here and there, I took the plunge and bought the Sensitone, and could not be happier, it arrived mail order, and although I was again a little nervous about having to tune it, it tuned up a treat, with the standard Remo head, and that was it! No more fussing, just playing.

So a happy ending, the drum is just what I wanted, a basic, easy to tune, easy to use snare.

And, another happy ending, two of the other snares where donated to a musical charity, so although I did go overboard with my snare buying, I feel I have been able to benefit those less fortunate than myself.

you got it new?

Comment

Yes Sir.

I am sure I could have bought used, and thus cheaper, but one other snare drum I had bought from E-bay was, for me, impossible to tune, and having bought used, I couldn't really return it or ask for help, so as I was really just burned out, I wanted something I could rely on out of the box.

Comment

Sounds like you need to practice tuning brother! By building confidence, you'll reduce your anxiety level
        Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

Comment

Good snare that one.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
          8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
          Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

I have the 14 x 6.5 elite version and it sounds (and looks) awesome.
            Pearl Masters (MCX) Mocha Tamo
            Pearl Session Custom (SMX) Green Burst
            Zildjian A & K Customs
            Originally posted by ashmaple
            ... so I secretely wanna see him 'bust his gear out when he's doing their gig in front of the crowds that lead into Make a legendary show. Hajahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterdavis View Post
              Sounds like you need to practice tuning brother! By building confidence, you'll reduce your anxiety level
              You are correct sir, however I was finding myself wasting (for want of a better expression) my already limited playing time, messing around trying to tune, I know I can't avoid this forever, but for now I have a drum I can play, that sounds good, and in the next few weeks I will start to try different tunings, knowing I can return to a default if things go awry.

Thanks

Comment

Short update to my sensitone steel review, concerning the standard Remo head that came with the drum.

I was very surprised when looking at the head last night that some of the coating had chipped off, only in small 'dots', but I was still surprised, I don't consider myself a hard hitter, and have not really played on the drum for that much time, I only get to play a maximum of 30 minutes in a session as I'm playing later at night after the kids are in bed, so in terms of total time played on the head, it can't be more than maybe 10 -12 hours, has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Comment

From what I have read here before, it is a known issue with those heads.
                  Zildjian A & K Customs
                  ... so I secretely wanna see him 'bust his gear out when he's doing their gig in front of the crowds that lead into Make a legendary show. Hajahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy 5000 View Post
                    From what I have read here before, it is a known issue with those heads.
                    Thanks Johnboy, I was not aware of that, not good quality control! Any chance you can recall where the thread was?

Comment

I don't recall the exact threads unfortunately, but I know several have mentioned that the Remo coated heads have a tendency to flake off (coating) almost immediately. I use Evans and I have never had that issue that I recall. If you search a little using keywords like Remo coated flaking etc you may be able to find them. If I see any I'll add links.
                      Zildjian A & K Customs

Comment

It just seems to be a fact of Remo heads. I have experienced it many times myself. I love their coated CS black dot head! but the coating comes off fairly regularly. I would say it stays on them about 1 in 5 times....but it is such a great sounding head. I have never had that issue with Evans or Aquarians coating....both are extremely durable. I am a big Evans fan personally, but
                        Iike certain Remo heads as well and use them when the Evans model is not available. I have read so many times on several forums that this is just an issue with Remo's coating...it just is what it is I guess

Sent from my iPad using Pearl Drums

Comment

What the heck is wrong with the Vision Sensitone?
                          VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
                          Kick Sub Mod
                          How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

sigpic

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

Comment

Mine is still in the box waiting to be used! Though here's a question for you guys... Would it be a good auxiliary snare? Or would I be better off with a piccolo or something similar?
                            Last edited by dsokodrum; 11-02-2013, 07:26 AM.
                            Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X