Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my dillema

Ok guys, i need your opinions for my dillema
    For a couple of years i had a big piece of 13" fiberglass pipe, about 8" deep and ~1" thick that i want to make into a snare.
    I've recently sold all of my spare snares and my current one (RMV 14"x5" 3ply maple/oak/maple with carbon fiber lugs and 1.6 hoops) while nice just doesn't cut in the live situations.
    I've done some research and quoting and came to the conclusion that to make this thing into a quality snare would cost me about ~200$.
    while i want this snare badly i can see that for such money i can pick up a nice 13" snare that would, unlike my project, would have a resale value and would cost much less.

Now there's no reason why i would have to get this snare, other than "I WANT IT" factor. However it's hard for me to justify such price.

so here's my dillema - should i just invest in my dream project that could end up a big failure, or just get some tattoos?
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Seems like you already know the answer.

If you're taking opinions, though, I say just go for it.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

Selling a minty 14x6.5 Ian Paice Signature Snare! DM for info!

Comment

Originally posted by MitchLyons View Post
      Seems like you already know the answer.

If you're taking opinions, though, I say just go for it.
      that's the problem, while i want it badly, but with all emotions aside i can't justify such price. Logic tells me "nope", while emotions tell me "go for it". that's the issue, and i've been pondering this for weeks now and i can't come to a conclusion by myself.
      The cheap solution would be to buy an existing 13" snare and use it's hardware, however these are rare commodities especially at this depth. I could, of course, but say a pearl steel shell snare (13"x5") and cut my shell to that depth to match the hardware, but while this would be much cheaper i would feel like butchering both my dream shell AND a perfectly good snare
      Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

Tattoos. Much cooler.

Fiberglass drums aren't great. Not particularly special and very dull. I've played a couple of the Pearl ones and they sounded dead.

Comment

My Tempus shell GMS snare and a few Blaemire snares I heard all sound great to me.
          dalewmiller.com my kits: 1 2 3

GMS | Paiste|Evans|Kennedy Camden Auxiliary Percussion

Comment

in the grand scheme of life, 200 bucks doesn't matter. just do it. and put up some pix when you do

Comment

Working...
            X