PDP Blackout 6x14 VS Yamaha Musashi OAK 6.5x13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDP Blackout 6x14 VS Yamaha Musashi OAK 6.5x13

So which do you prefer? has any of you owns one of these drums? how do they sound/perform/feel in in personal?
    Blackout seems to be nice but per MusicRadar, the maple shell is not a premium maple but still they gave five stars for Blackout. Musashi sounded good too on youtube, but I wonder how they actually sounded in person? I'm in a groove metal/trash metal band. So which do you think would fit? I have JJ snare but I want to try something new, musashi and blackout sounded more open to me.

Thanks!
    Mapex Mars Pro
    Pearl Export 70s
    Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Pork Pie Pig Lite clear snare
    Pork Pie Little Squealer Chrome steel snare 6x13
    Pearl Red Line double pedal with Z-link
    Tama Iron Cobra power & rolling glide
    Zildjian cymbals

Of those two, I'd get the Yamaha Musashi. It has all kinds of nice projection and a nice open character. I also feel that it is the better quality drum. I used to have on and it was a nice snare... one that I probably may add back to my snare stable.
    -Tama Granstar (12, 16, 22)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12, 13, 16, 22)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (10, 12, 14, 14sn, 16, 22)
    -An array of snares
    -An array of cymbals

Comment

Yammie x2

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
      8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
      Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Mushashi! Although you may want to upgrade the strainer.

Old kit: Gretsch New Classic

Comment

Yamaha. No question.

I owned one of the 14x6 Blackouts. Bought it to match the 10x6 that I already had, and it was an enormous disappointment. The bearing edges were pretty rough and gritty, and the powdercoating on the top rim started chipping after just a couple gigs. I tried multiple heads and various tunings, and the best tone I pulled out of it was with an Emperor X head cranked as tight nearly as tight as I could get it. It would cut through the guitars, sure, but it was a very one dimensional tone. After my snare collection started growing, it sat on the shelf unused and wasting space for a very long time, until I traded it for an early 70's Acrolite a few years ago. Absolutely no regrets on that decision.

If these are your only options, definitely go for the Yamaha.
          Originally posted by ttaM
          jamfelt is a way of life. it's its own culture.

Comment

Working...
          X