powder coated pearl brass 14x5 free floater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powder coated pearl brass 14x5 free floater

my snare was rusty and oxidized. figured i do something to bring some life to it.. turned out great for $50 check out this vid... i suggest you do it if you have a snare you don't know what to do with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2FonPYqKPU

That looks really good, but I think it'll flake off on the hoop if you play lots of rimshots.
    pls no bully ;w;

//My new Travis Barker Signature OCDP kit w/ Zildjian Pitch Blacks!

Comment

Originally posted by exordium View Post
      That looks really good, but I think it'll flake off on the hoop if you play lots of rimshots.
      My old snare had powder coated hardware and it didn't flake. And I rimshot. I rimshot a lot. And hard.

Comment

nah

played a few shows.. i practice a decent ammount. its fine... one small ding from a friend helping move my gear....

i rimshot... also. alot.. and hard.. and its fine

Comment

Originally posted by Benn View Post
          My old snare had powder coated hardware and it didn't flake. And I rimshot. I rimshot a lot. And hard.
          Yikes!
          Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

Comment

Cool. What did you do with the badge was it just removed?
            Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

Comment

Originally posted by Benn View Post
              ^+1

The powdercoating process (when done right, of course) results in a pretty sturdy product.

Comment

The badge is gone. they gave it back to me when finished. it couldn't be coated.... I was going to glue it back on but I like the looks of it without.

Comment

Curious how the powdercoating impacts the sound of a very bright brass shell. Thoughts?

Comment

The blue and white is eye-catching. I believe your snare is considered a 14x6.5. It's interesting that you were able to get the diecast hoops powder coated. The shop you go to must have a cooler oven OR they laid the hoops flat to "bake". The oven at my powder coater runs at over 350 degrees... which totally destroyed 2 Mastercast hoops of mine. Steel parts easily survive the over, but the metal used in diecast parts can't take the heat.
                    Last edited by ; 09-20-2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
                      Steel parts easily survive the over, but the metal used in diecast parts can't take the heat.
                      There are a plethora of examples of die cast drum parts being powdercoated, just check out the 'custom' drum companies' galleries.

Also: http://www.e-techpowdercoating.com/p...bepowdercoated

Comment

Originally posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
                        The blue and white is eye-catching. I believe your snare is considered a 14x6.5. It's interesting that you were able to get the diecast hoops powder coated. The shop you go to must have a cooler oven OR they laid the hoops flat to "bake". The over at my powder coater runs at over 350 degrees... which totally destroyed 2 Mastercast hoops of mine. Steel parts easily survive the over, but the metal used in diecast parts can't take the heat.
                        Looks like a 14 x 6.5 to me too.... but cool looking just the same

Originally posted by opus138 View Post
                        There are a plethora of examples of die cast drum parts being powdercoated, just check out the 'custom' drum companies' galleries.

Also: http://www.e-techpowdercoating.com/p...bepowdercoated
                        Is that like a plethora of pinatas?
                        Pearl Masters (MCX) Mocha Tamo
                        Pearl Session Custom (SMX) Green Burst
                        Zildjian A & K Customs
                        Originally posted by ashmaple
                        ... so I secretely wanna see him 'bust his gear out when he's doing their gig in front of the crowds that lead into Make a legendary show. Hajahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy 5000 View Post
                          If those pinatas are made of die cast drum parts and powdercoated.... then, yes

Edit: crap. I missed the 3 Amigos Reference........
                          Last edited by opus138; 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I'm an idiot.. its 6.5 also... they are diecast.. and they were not round when i got them back.......... i'll use steel next time..... did some "forming" of my own to get em round again...... but your right. good lesson to be learned.....

I like the sound alot..... mind you I'ts got a new head and all. i find it slightly less harsh......... but to be honest... it doesn't sound much different. a thin layer of powder is all that is over the original metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy 5000 View Post
                              Looks like a 14 x 6.5 to me too.... but cool looking just the same

"Do you even know what a plethora is?"

Comment

Working...
                              X