Thor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thor

Picked this up earlier today. Am very happy with the deal I got it for.

Its a DW Cast Bronze 7 x 14 with 24k gold hardware and die cast hoops, dated Oct 5th 2000. It has a lot of tarnish on the hardware and is chipped and the shell is oxidised in places but to be honest, I would rather a 12 year old drum be worn and played than be brand new. This has a lot of history and has toured the world a few times as well as recording numerous albums. Took is apart and tuned it to my liking, to actually describe the sound with words would be meaningless, so I'll just say its perfect. I measured the width of the wall, my old bronze which was newer had a a 3mm wall whilst this is 5mm, it projects a stupidly large amount. The Emperor head warms it up more and is needed becuase I hit very hard.

Basicaly I have been after one of these ever since I got my 14 x 5 becuase I didn't think the 6 was so different but the 7.....sweet mother of mercy its immense! Add the extra 2 inches and die cast hoops and you have a totally different monster. I know I said I never would, but I sold the 5 to make room for this beast and I am glad I did as I am now a deep snare convert, this is just it for me. Its basically DW's answer to the Tama Bell Brass and it weighs a daft amount, easily more than TWICE what the 14 x 5 weighed.

Interestingly enough, the shell is a totally different colour to the 5 from 2004 and I contacted DW to ask why that was. They told me any of the redder shells were US made, whilst the newer cast ones (just before they switched to rolled) are made in Taiwan.

I have only ever seen another 2 of these snares. One went on Ebay years ago for $1500 and the other is owned by C-Monster on this forum. I hope hes still around becuase hes served as inspiration for me finding one of these! An absolute beauty and my favourite snare to date, just spent two hours getting acquainted with it and breaking it in at a gig tomorrow night!
    Attached Files
    SONOR, ZILDJIAN, REMO, PRO MARK, Favourite Drummers: Matt Cameron, Nicko McBrain, Mikkey Dee

1. Iron Maiden
    2. Pearl Jam
    3. Rush
    4. Motorhead
    5. Black Sabbath

Last one
    Attached Files
    SONOR, ZILDJIAN, REMO, PRO MARK, Favourite Drummers: Matt Cameron, Nicko McBrain, Mikkey Dee

1. Iron Maiden
    2. Pearl Jam
    3. Rush
    4. Motorhead
    5. Black Sabbath

Comment

Congrats man, very nice.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
      8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
      Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Congrats......that is one amazing looking drum...... And no doubt amazing sounding!
        got G.A.S. ?

Comment

Huge congratulations! I finally experienced what it's like to be blown away by a specific instrument. I'm still hunting for that feeling with my snare. Looks amazing!
          I love when my cymbals talk dirty to me.
          Tama Swingstar
          My Ocean Sparkle Kit
          My Ebay
          Currently After: 8x7, 16x13, & 20x18 MMX Ocean Sparkle w/ Satin Hardware - Please PM if you found some!!

Comment

What a terrific drum!
            Guru Tour padauk segmented
            Tama Star walnut and maple kits (indigo sen/emerald curly maple)
            Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
            Tama Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
            Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys! Pics don't do it justice! This guy makes me want to play as much as I can, i'm totally in love with this snare! Took another piccy just because, looks fiery in this one
              Attached Files

1. Iron Maiden
              2. Pearl Jam
              3. Rush
              4. Motorhead
              5. Black Sabbath

Comment

^^ Super hot!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
                8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
                Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

That is one cool snare. Enjoy!
                  Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex MPX (snare, )Mapex Armory Sabre (Snare), Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms; Sabian HHX, AAX, XS20, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

Comment

title is correct

Comment

Drums need names, Thor was most fitting for this guy. Sounds like the God of thunder in a bar fight....

1. Iron Maiden
                      2. Pearl Jam
                      3. Rush
                      4. Motorhead
                      5. Black Sabbath

Comment

That thing looks mean...
                        Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

Comment

Very nice, looks beast!
                          sigpic
                          MASTERS ARMY

Comment

Thanks guys! It sounds mean..... I prefer it to the Tama Bell Brass I tried out, this is waaaaaaay more tasty.

1. Iron Maiden
                            2. Pearl Jam
                            3. Rush
                            4. Motorhead
                            5. Black Sabbath

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8nL_fmDCo

God of Thunder!
                              dalewmiller.com my kits: 1 2 3

GMS | Paiste|Evans|Kennedy Camden Auxiliary Percussion

Comment

Working...
                              X