Anton Fig Snare Drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drummer7411
    No matter how you tune it, just about wrinkle, or cranking it, it always has a TON of high end crack. Not much body.
    I'll have to disagree with that statement, the maple shell and wood hoops give it more "body" than any other snare I have used.

I associate "crack" with diecast hoops doing rimshots. That immediate impulse impact of the stick with a diecast hoops gives a crack to me. The Fig wood hoops have more give, more surface area, and provide the overall sound a more 'meaty-ness'.

...just my opinion.
    BlackFrogMusic.com

Comment

My church I play at had 3 of them at one time.
      A guest drummer that played came and BROKE the top wood hope.
      The other one was bought be a drummer who plays weekly.
      The third is a " musical snare " ( no pun intended ). It's just a spare, goes from building to building or studio or whatever. It was triple flanged hoops on it.

It is a VERY mellow snare.
      No matter how you tune it, just about wrinkle, or cranking it, it always has a TON of high end crack. Not much body. It feels super good to play on though, especially with the wood hoops.
      worst review of this snare everrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint
        worst review of this snare everrr.
        Yeah, I am on the polar opposite with just about every characteristic that his review attributed to this snare.
        The man called Shaggy.

Comment

BROKE the top wood hope??!!!!! But seriously, I think I'd have to try extremely hard to bust my Yamaha wooden batter hoop. Maybe if I did a hard rimshot over a lug (which I am careful not to)...maybe.

My church I play at had 3 of them at one time.
          A guest drummer that played came and BROKE the top wood hope.
          The other one was bought be a drummer who plays weekly.
          The third is a " musical snare " ( no pun intended ). It's just a spare, goes from building to building or studio or whatever. It was triple flanged hoops on it.

It is a VERY mellow snare.
          No matter how you tune it, just about wrinkle, or cranking it, it always has a TON of high end crack. Not much body. It feels super good to play on though, especially with the wood hoops.

Comment

One of the best sounding wood snare drums I've ever owned, it's those 19 ply rims and the thin shell!

The only thing that I didn't like about the drum is that the wood hoops are wider than flanged or cast metal types.

They're made wider to accomodate the tension rods which in turn required me to sit with a wider than normal stance. I'm 5'7" just to give you a perspective, this may not be a problem for a taller player though.
            MRX Antique Gold: kicks: 18x24 18x22 16x20, Toms: 8x8 8x10 9x12 10x12 11x13 12x14 14x16 14x14ft 14x16ft 16x18ft, snare 6.5x14
            1962 Ludwig Club Date, Red Sparkle
            2009 Ludwig Element Retro SE, Citrus Mod

Snare Drums

The Vejtabils!

Comment

Sorry for the bump but does anyone have any video/audio clips of this snare's natural sound?

Dave Haley used it on the new Ruins and Psycroptic albums, and while it sounds great I'm curious as to how it sounds naturally (no eq/compression etc).
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHbu2xKP59A&fmt=18
              Also how versatile is it? Is it a snare worth having? Is it hard to tune and get a good sound (I'm a very bad tuner haha). I found a guy selling one for $350..is that a good deal (I think they sell them for about $630)?

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
              X