12 inches??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 inches??

I'm seriously thinking of going to a 12 inch snare as my main. I sit to close to my 14 as it is, and I think the 12 will create a little more room but still have a nice sound. Who else has a 12 as their main snare??
    videos at:
    http://www.youtube.com/rdrummer322
    http://www.myspace.com/jimtylerrdrummer

SLIPKNOT1 (Will) used to use a 12" OCDP on his green sparkle kit.
    sigpic

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

Comment

I don't, but I'd be sure if that sound is going to work for you. It's a big jump.

I'm considering scaling down my snare too. The way I tune, I think, would be best suited on a 13x6 drum, with some lenience in the depth. I tune pretty high and resent the lack of depth I get from tuning my 14x5 like that. Even that little of a jump is risky; 90% of the music I play is jazz where 14" is the usual drum. I'll be losing 1" of brush space too, which may or may not effect my brush patterns.

Make sure your music can allow for a 12" drum. Sure, there's a lot you can do with head choice and tuning, but I think all would agree that a 12" snare is a bad way to get a fat backbeat.
      Those that do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.
      -/- Salvador Dali

Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air.
      -/- Tom Waits

drums&heads&cymbals&implements

Comment

You could try for a 13" Im playing on a 13" and I wont go back to my 14" because its too big. Just make sure you road test it against your old snare before you buy it. I think you can make any snare sound good you just have to fiddle around with it.

I have a slice of foam touching the top and bottom heads slightly to thicken up the sound (its a 13"x3" Piccolo) I get a very sharp sound, especially on ghost notes and it takes out all the overtones from me it tuning really tight. The result is a Piccolo snare that I use as my main one in 3 completely different bands.
        Geoff Irish on MySpace
        Quandary - Leadlight Rose - Echotide
        OzProg Come here If you like progressive music of any kind.

Comment

Doesn't Gavin Harrison use a 12x5 on some occasions? I think I've seen him use one on a YouTube video. Watch this video btw It's very entertaining, not to mention the Jazzy goodness is pure sex.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN25WDIBBk0
          My Pearl Masters
          My DW VLT Snare
          TheAnt's Drum Dial Snare Tuning Method (Video)

Comment

hard to do rim clicks on a 12" snare. You need to use either a shorter stick, or get Yamaha Groove Wedge.

Dennis Chambers used to use the 7x12 Pearl Soprano snare as his main drum, pre his Signature snare. Yes, there's more room as far as proximity, but you lose some versatility, rim clicks being one thing.
            Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
            Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
            Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
            Rogers: 13-16-22
            Yamaha, Tama, snares
            Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

Comment

I've used 12" snares since november last year. i want a 13" reference though. i got bored of 12's

Comment

i have to agree from any experience something around 12 inches makesit harder to do crosssticks or rim clicks or however best to call them. that said, it only makes them harder in that most of us i assume are used to 14" snares
                wouldn't it be worth learning how to do little clicks on any toms? if you could do them on anthing from an 8" to 14" rack, you could surley learn to perform them on a 12" snare, without a block of any kind. that said i am quite pro using a block as for every recordin and live thing i've ever done, rim clicks are almost inaudilbe or get picked up by the engineer as a soft snare hit...
                rim shots too in my opinion are totally do able on a 12" snare
                a 13" would be inbetween 12 and 14 for positioning (obivously) but the way it works for me...like i love the sound of certain 13"s but no=one ever seems to use them at permanently...joey jordison i understand used a 12x7 (or was it 8?) on 'Iowa'. sounds gerat from what u can make out of an otherwise too fuzzy recording. too many members.
                rubbertomskin

Comment

12" snares sound incredible as a main snare, but like some other members mentioned, it is quite difficult to acheive a solid cross stick sound.

I personally love the sound, very tight and poppy without being overwhelmed by the rest of the kit.

If in the end your main concern is the cross stick issue, then a good jam block could be an effective solution.

Krys
                  - Ya Dude, I Play Drums! -

- My Transparent Green Starclassic Performer -

Comment

I don't and never would use it as a main, but here is a pic of my 12x5 Masterworks snare.
                    Attached Files
                    Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

sigpic

Comment

Chris Adler from Lamb Of God uses a 12" as his main I believe. It can be done, but it is usually a really deep snare, to try to fill out the body a bit. It's not crazy... but it is a particular sound that you may or may not like. Be sure to try before you buy.
                      -=Gord=-

Need some Microphone info?

Comment

I sometimes use a 12 as my main snare.

It's a Potyondi Custom Cast steel 12 x 4. Heck of a pop for hip-hop.

Comment

They are a bit of a one-trick pony, not very versatile
                          Free the JJ thread.

Comment

That's true. I like mine for accents.
                            Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

sigpic

Comment

It's very tempting. I know it's hard to believe, but I don't use my snare that much, dedinitely not as much as most drummers. I have a 14 now tuned up pretty tight, so I think the sound would be similar, yet I would gain 49pi-36pi=13 pi, around 42 square inches of space between my legs. That sounds pretty comfortable.
                              videos at:
                              http://www.youtube.com/rdrummer322
                              http://www.myspace.com/jimtylerrdrummer

Comment

Working...
                              X