This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stave snare

now, before i get flamed for "not searching first," i'd just like to say that i know there have been plenty of threads on this topic, but they're not all totally complete or totally understandable, so i just wanted to ask.

i have a graduation project that i have to start work on this year for school. we have to write a paper, do a presentation, and create a product that relates to our paper. so i was thinking of doing my paper on the history of the production of drums, and then make a stave snare as my product. the only problem is, i really don't have any idea what tools or materials i need, or where to start. is it something that i can have completed fairly easily within a year or year and a half? or is it something way over my head? i really just have no idea where to start... any help would be really greatly appreciated.

thanks!
    sc.

My Kit

21" Zildjian A Rock Ride for sale

Laus Deo Semper.

You say you've searched, but the questions you are asking make it obvious that you haven't.

There are two ways of machining a stave shell, using a lathe or router jig. Visit www.drumshed.org and search koto stave jig for the latter, the former is quicker and easier if you have access to the lathe.

It takes about 5 hours to go from raw wood to completed shell. You will certainly have time to do it in a year

Comment

right and i have searched. but i have no idea where or if i could get access to a lathe. i've looked at kotos jig, but i have no idea how it operates or anything. just confuses the heck out of me. is it relatively simple to make and operate? and are the materials for it expensive?
      sc.

My Kit

Laus Deo Semper.

Comment

I'm sorry, but if you can't grasp the concept of koto's jig you wont be able to do it and you certainly wont be able to explain it; In terms of a project, there's nothing to give you marks for as you haven't shown any problem solving or and independent thought. I know you christians don't think that counts for much but I suspect you'd do better looking at a non-drum related project that you can understand and use.

Comment

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...post1851891994
          vater : pearl : meinl : evans

my youtube

pearl masters brp
          latest pics: p9
          white marine pearl
          20x18
          14x14
          12x8

WWW.ONE.ORG

Comment

walk before you can run...
            start with a simple drum build
            Free the JJ thread.

Comment

fezzasus - thanks for calling me stupid. but i'm pretty sure im MUCH smarter than you. what was your gpa in high school? or class rank? (if you even graduated that is). but on the plus side, you know i'm a christian. at least my reputation precedes me

sparkie - thanks!

applexcore - i was going to do that. but one of my teachers today told me it had to be more 'from scratch' than just ordering a shell, drilling holes, cutting bearing edges, finishing it, and mounting heads and hardware. that sounds ridiculous to me. but whatever. thats just what i was told. i figured building a stave drum would be a little more 'from scratch.'
              sc.

My Kit

Laus Deo Semper.

Comment

Originally posted by seaco711
                fezzasus - thanks for calling me stupid. but i'm pretty sure im MUCH smarter than you. what was your gpa in high school? or class rank? (if you even graduated that is). but on the plus side, you know i'm a christian. at least my reputation precedes me
                A person who can boast about high school GPA or class rank should not be forced to ask basic questions about searching and understanding technical instructions.
                sigpic

Comment

If you think a high GPA makes you smart and that intelligence can actually be conveniently measured like that, then think again.

Comment

Originally posted by thismercifulfate
                    If you think a high GPA makes you smart and that intelligence can actually be conveniently measured like that, then think again.
                    so what exactly would you say measures intelligence? iq?
                    sc.

My Kit

Laus Deo Semper.

Comment

so what exactly would you say measures intelligence? iq?
                      None of these accurately measure intelligence. It only measures your ability to perform on certain tests. Furthermore, IQ does not necessarily co-relate to academic results.

For example, I have a measured IQ of roughly 170 to 180, but I've never been bothered to remember the exact number since I don't think it's important. I've been a registered member of Mensa since I was about 1+ years old or so, so that will probably fix this ranking.

But, my GPA is only slightly above average. I'm hopeless at a lot of things, too.

Comparatively, I'm technically still in high school, but I'm studying in university at the same time.

I am extremely bad at learning languages. I don't understand people. I almost fail biology classes. I can do music decently, but I see many people easily overtake me in any of the instruments I study.

You can make what you will of that, but if you look at the varied cases, it's obvious that neither IQ nor GPA or any related score can identify intelligence.

Furthermore, if you think about it, applying intelligence to this situation is highly inappropriate. Wouldn't you say this is more of an issue of technical training? Even a great genius would take some time to work out new documentation, if he had not been exposed to it before.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fezzasus
                        In terms of a project, there's nothing to give you marks for as you haven't shown any problem solving or and independent thought. I know you christians don't think that counts for much
                        i hate political correctness
                        but if it's not cool to say ''stupid n****rs can't build drums'' then its totally unacceptable that you say this - is NO moderator bothered by this at all?
                        fezzasus or whatever you're calling yourself - you're as bad as the 14 year old kids eating mcdonalds while talking about 'down with america'. you're a hypocrite, totally ignorant of your own culture, and once more you're jumping on the bandwagon - it's fashionable to hate america (speaking from someone living in europe) and it's fashionable to hate christians. you know why? cuz it's safe. it's like dissing your parents. yeah you know, your parents. the people who wil always forgive you. that's why its called childish when an adolescent disses his/her parents - they;'re not taking any risks or being 'daring' as they think they are and once they've grown out of that phase they understand. you need to grow up.
                        i'd prasie you for translating the thread starter's latin signautre - that is how u got the christian reference right? - but as you probably just googled it and assumed the rest, you don't deserve to be here. why don't YOU search the internet and trawl through 70,000 posts on one subject that normally just turns into a bunch of kids dissing some player for being successful.
                        this guy has every right to ask what he did - its a f****n' forum!!!! FOR TALKING./
                        i couldnt give two flying -s whether you think you have read this all before or not, some havent - and apologies to those who know this but as you can see, some don't - and the fact is it's not YOUR forum. just like whoever this ryan terry guy is - i see him referered to in every thread - i dont konw the guy and he dose seem to ask some run of the mil questions but everyone has to start somewhere (obv) and lastly - hey listen if the moderators and adminiastrators wanna come in here and say something goodf PLEASE DO and do something about the people *****ing at people for simply usign the forum for its intended purpose. does it say in the stickys that her cant ask about a stave shell with little prior experience? NO.

just remember fezzasus, u think you're the type who neds to throw their weight around at people asking questions. u think you dominate the (seemingly) less knowledgeable. maybe you should consider that whatevergrades the thread starter gets, he also chose to do something (in this case, be a God fan) and didn't just follow the heard (as you are doing) and diss stuff he knows jack about. in fact let's make sum assumptions about you. you seem like a typical what southpark calls ''mr scientist'' - you'd stand on the hilltops literally preaching about how christianity will lead to you having a bad lifeforever and how religious indoctrination is there from when you're a child and how sick that is and even diss the religious for believing something they're told without being able to prove it.....

.............o wait...............
                        ...that's science.
                        first rule of science is nothing can be proven nor disproven.
                        all the other parallels are obvious to our members here i'm sure but do message me if you need it spelled out.
                        cuz remember -
                        for every one of you faux aggressive pseudo dominant types, there's people like me.
                        the people who will defend the underdog against the wannabe bully.
                        walk on home, boy.
                        rubbertomskin

Comment

Originally posted by Composer of Requiems
                          applying intelligence to this situation is highly inappropriate. Wouldn't you say this is more of an issue of technical training? Even a great genius would take some time to work out new documentation, if he had not been exposed to it before.
                          exactly. which is why im ticked at being called stupid just because i asked about how to do something i've never done before, but all people seem to be able to do is turn around whatever i do or say to bring up my religion. but thats fine. at least they know what i believe in.
                          sc.

My Kit

Laus Deo Semper.

Comment

dang man.

thats all exactly right. thanks!

Originally posted by KJSM
                            i hate political correctness
                            but if it's not cool to say ''stupid n****rs can't build drums'' then its totally unacceptable that you say this - is NO moderator bothered by this at all?
                            fezzasus or whatever you're calling yourself - you're as bad as the 14 year old kids eating mcdonalds while talking about 'down with america'. you're a hypocrite, totally ignorant of your own culture, and once more you're jumping on the bandwagon - it's fashionable to hate america (speaking from someone living in europe) and it's fashionable to hate christians. you know why? cuz it's safe. it's like dissing your parents. yeah you know, your parents. the people who wil always forgive you. that's why its called childish when an adolescent disses his/her parents - they;'re not taking any risks or being 'daring' as they think they are and once they've grown out of that phase they understand. you need to grow up.
                            i'd prasie you for translating the thread starter's latin signautre - that is how u got the christian reference right? - but as you probably just googled it and assumed the rest, you don't deserve to be here. why don't YOU search the internet and trawl through 70,000 posts on one subject that normally just turns into a bunch of kids dissing some player for being successful.
                            this guy has every right to ask what he did - its a f****n' forum!!!! FOR TALKING./
                            i couldnt give two flying -s whether you think you have read this all before or not, some havent - and apologies to those who know this but as you can see, some don't - and the fact is it's not YOUR forum. just like whoever this ryan terry guy is - i see him referered to in every thread - i dont konw the guy and he dose seem to ask some run of the mil questions but everyone has to start somewhere (obv) and lastly - hey listen if the moderators and adminiastrators wanna come in here and say something goodf PLEASE DO and do something about the people *****ing at people for simply usign the forum for its intended purpose. does it say in the stickys that her cant ask about a stave shell with little prior experience? NO.

just remember fezzasus, u think you're the type who neds to throw their weight around at people asking questions. u think you dominate the (seemingly) less knowledgeable. maybe you should consider that whatevergrades the thread starter gets, he also chose to do something (in this case, be a God fan) and didn't just follow the heard (as you are doing) and diss stuff he knows jack about. in fact let's make sum assumptions about you. you seem like a typical what southpark calls ''mr scientist'' - you'd stand on the hilltops literally preaching about how christianity will lead to you having a bad lifeforever and how religious indoctrination is there from when you're a child and how sick that is and even diss the religious for believing something they're told without being able to prove it.....

...that's science.
                            all the other parallels are obvious to our members here i'm sure but do message me if you need it spelled out.
                            cuz remember -
                            for every one of you faux aggressive pseudo dominant types, there's people like me.
                            walk on home, boy.
                            sc.

My Kit

Laus Deo Semper.

Comment

exactly. which is why im ticked at being called stupid just because i asked about how to do something i've never done before, but all people seem to be able to do is turn around whatever i do or say to bring up my religion. but thats fine. at least they know what i believe in.
                              Hmm who called you stupid? I don't see anywhere in this thread where you're explicitly called stupid. If you mean Fez's post,

I'm sorry, but if you can't grasp the concept of koto's jig you wont be able to do it and you certainly wont be able to explain it; In terms of a project, there's nothing to give you marks for as you haven't shown any problem solving or and independent thought. I know you christians don't think that counts for much but I suspect you'd do better looking at a non-drum related project that you can understand and use.
                              That's just speaking the truth. If you can't understand koto's jig, you won't be able to do it. Common sense- if you can't understand something, you can't do it.

Of course, the christian comment is probably uncalled for.

Originally posted by KJSM
                              ...that's science.
                              cuz remember -
                              walk on home, boy.
                              And one thing I really hate is people quoting "science" when they have no idea what's going on. The correct way to phrase it is that nothing can be proven, but it can be easily disproven with a single example.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X