Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare Beds

Alrighty,

I read something somewhere that you need to have a new snare bed cut in if you plan on expanding your snare count; which doesn't really make a boatload of sense to me.

I recently bought a 40 strand snare; my Supraphonic came with a 20; but as the drum was vintage 60's and had not had new heads or a snare changed since it was bought; or so it appears; I thought it was time for new ones.

I do not really understand the snare bed concept; would someone enlighten me on how this works?

Thanks,
    Sam
    <Pro Mark> -<Paiste>- <Sabian> - <Pearl Eliminators> - <Aquarian>-<Mapex>
    Mapex Mars Pro
    14x5.5 Pork Pie Curly Maple
    Looking For:
    Transparent Emerald Green Mapex 10x8 (M Birch or Mars Pro)

Don't even think about it.

The idea behind snare beds is that they stop the snares from buzzing as much by letting them sink into the head, because the vibrations run along the surface, they are no only as affected by them.

Snare beds are typically a half moon shape, if your snare wires cover the entire snare bed, the edges of your snare wires will sit higher than the middle so will vibrate more - to compensate you will have to tighten your snares and lose sensitivity.

So that is why you need to widen snare beds IF your snares cover the entire bed.

Thankfully, Ludwigs have wide snare beds and can easily accommodate wider snares without being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by fezzasus
      Don't even think about it.

The idea behind snare beds is that they stop the snares from buzzing as much by letting them sink into the head, because the vibrations run along the surface, they are no only as affected by them.

Snare beds are typically a half moon shape, if your snare wires cover the entire snare bed, the edges of your snare wires will sit higher than the middle so will vibrate more - to compensate you will have to tighten your snares and lose sensitivity.

So that is why you need to widen snare beds IF your snares cover the entire bed.

Thankfully, Ludwigs have wide snare beds and can easily accommodate wider snares without being worked on.

Thank YOU! I get it now. Rep for you sir.
      <Pro Mark> -<Paiste>- <Sabian> - <Pearl Eliminators> - <Aquarian>-<Mapex>
      Mapex Mars Pro
      14x5.5 Pork Pie Curly Maple
      Looking For:
      Transparent Emerald Green Mapex 10x8 (M Birch or Mars Pro)

Comment

Why a 40 strand?
        Rogers Drums

My Kits
        http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=196158

Comment

If it's not buzzing you are AOK, I've cut wider beds in some wood drums, but Luddy metal drums are usually OK up to the 48's.
          FS: 6.5x14 Craviotto mahogany, 8 lugs, 30deg edges, minty. $500+ship.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePloughman
            Why a 40 strand?
            You want a dry sound with a lot of snare wire?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePloughman
              Why a 40 strand?
              People really underestimate the value of the snares. From 8 to 10 to 20 to 40 count strands, you can really vary the sound a lot, and of course, new snare wires on an old drum can make it sound like a dream.

Then there's the gut snares.

Comment

Working...
              X