• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me what I am looking for

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/HPIM0913.jpg

I have the snare in the photo above. I don't care for the sharp, hollow
    and ringy sound I get from it's brass shell. The truth be told, I probably
    don't have it tunned as well as I could but I don't think better tunning
    alone would make me like it more for I am doing with it.

So what do I want out of a snare you ask?

Well, I am older self-taught, fair weather player just screwing around
    in the basement an hour or so a day. I have never played out and I never
    will. I take a lesson here and there when I have time and for me it's just
    about having fun and nothing more.

I do however want a good sound from my drums because if they don't
    please me I won't play them.

First off I would probably be best served if I got a 5 x 14 supra but I am trying to avoid a four - hundred dollar purchase due to my limited needs and talent. I was thinking if only I could get something with the sensitivity of
    the supra for around 300 hundred bucks it would be great.

I am not concerned with looks or signatures or projection. I would just
    like to get into a good quality snare that will stay in tune and capture
    ghost notes well and one that doesn't have to be muffled excessively
    to stop ringing overtones.

I can get a 5 x 14 supra from GC online for like 380 bucks. What else is
    out there that is close to it for around 280 bucks?

Please, don't suggest buying used on ebay as I don't use ebay and never will.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts..........

Rick
    Kurtz: Are you an assassin?

Willard: I'm a soldier

Kurtz: You're neither. Your just an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.

I'm thinking Arby's.

Comment

The problem might be closer than you think, namely your own basement. Is the floor carpeted? Are the concrete walls bare? You might be able to save yourself a snare by just drying up the acoustics a bit. Because you've never played out, you've never heard to true sound of your snare in a larger room with nice acoustics. In a basement with so many hard surfaces, the high-end frequencies are bouncing off them and by the short time they reach your ears, they're still very loud, so in other words your basement is accentuating all the overtones on your drums and cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by thismercifulfate
        The problem might be closer than you think, namely your own basement. Is the floor carpeted? Are the concrete walls bare? You might be able to save yourself a snare by just drying up the acoustics a bit. Because you've never played out, you've never heard to true sound of your snare in a larger room with nice acoustics. In a basement with so many hard surfaces, the high-end frequencies are bouncing off them and by the short time they reach your ears, they're still very loud, so in other words your basement is accentuating all the overtones on your drums and cymbals.
        I know the basement is a part of the problem but I also have a really cheap
        6 1/2 inch Tama rockstar metal snare that I almost like the sound of and that is
        played in the basement as well. The basement is pretty packed with household
        junk and it is somewhat carpeted in most areas so it's not as bad as a wide
        open basement.

If the Tama rockstar snare had better sensitivity I would be satisfied with
        that drum

The DW snare has a brass shell and as such I don't think we are ever going to get along together.

Kurtz: You're neither. Your just an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.

Comment

id get a wooden snare of some sort. I find they dont have as much ring to them as metal snares. You can find some pretty good maple snares around your price. Id check out porkpie. They make some pretty nice cheap maple snares.

Comment

Arby, try playing your snare in a ton of different acoustics.. ex
            Living room, outside, kitchen perhaps..

Just to know the real potential ..
            well this is IMO
            Technics SL-1200

Comment

There's just no point in anyone trying to help you.
              Without real-world experience...without actually playing a single gig...anywhere for christ's sake...as long as you just sit there after work, in your stubble and grease-stained Dickie's... you will never appreciate, let alone understand an acoustic snare.

So go on...go back to your Budweiser and classic rock CD's...back to wondering why your acoustic drum "doesn't sound right" when heard through your Casio headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by arby
                First off I would probably be best served if I got a 5 x 14 supra but I am trying to avoid a four - hundred dollar purchase due to my limited needs and talent. I was thinking if only I could get something with the sensitivity of the supra for around 300 hundred bucks it would be great.

I can get a 5 x 14 supra from GC online for like 380 bucks. What else is
                out there that is close to it for around 280 bucks?

Please, don't suggest buying used on ebay as I don't use ebay and never will.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts..........

Rick
                If you get lucky, you may find one locally through a pawn shop or used music store. I picked up a 1974 Supra locally for $150CDN in quite good shape, and I've heard of others getting them even cheaper.

Oh, another thing.

If you're looking at the Supraphonic, you may want to consider it's little brother, the Acrolite. VERY similar to the Supraphonic -- same shell. Only difference is the hardware and finish. Supraphonics have 10 Imperial lugs, while Acrolites have 8 Bowtie lugs. (New) Acrolites have a Black Galaxy finish, while the Supraphonic is chrome-plated.

A new 5x14 Acrolite should run you no more than $270. Likely even less.

---

Now, I realize you did say not to suggest buying on eBay, but if you're looking for a good deal on a Supra, there are many to be had. Used 5x14 Supraphonics can be found on eBay for much, MUCH less than $400.

As for the Acrolite, some forum members have found used Acrolites for $40 or even less on the 'Bay! Just something to keep in mind...
                Gateway Recording Co.

1972 Ludwig Hollywood outfit, Black Oyster Pearl (12x8/13x9/16x16/22x14).
                1973 Premier B303 outfit, Polychromatic Gold (12x8/13x9/16x16/22x14).
                2005 Sonor Delite, Birdseye Cherry (10x9/12x10/14x12/16x16/22x18).

Comment

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

I picked up a floor model LM410 from GC for 475 bucks.

All is well.......

Comment

I think that's the snare the second drummer from BDM used. Sounded great for death metal but yeah I don't know about other genres
                    My drum videos
                    Luke Zwelsky Group
                    Kelevra

Comment

yea man ludwig makes great snares. I was going to recommend you a Pearl Sensitone Aluminum shell 5.5*14. I have one like that and i like it better than my supra.

Comment

Working...
                      X