Free Floating Brass 14x5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Floating Brass 14x5

hey i just ordered a Pearl Free Floating Brass snare drum (14x5) the guy in the shop who happens to be a good friend of mine reccomended it to me. I was wondering what are your opinions of this snare?
    Tama, Pearl, Sabian, Zildjian, Meinl

Irish Dance music is great to drum to =]

My school uses a 14x6.5 and a 14x5 for concert percussion. They're very nice, and not extremely expensive.

Comment

I played the 3.5" deep one and loved it. I imagine the deeper model would be just as great.
      pls no bully ;w;

//My new Travis Barker Signature OCDP kit w/ Zildjian Pitch Blacks!

Comment

It's a great, versatile snare.

Comment

I personally have not played on it. I'd imagine though it'd be a little bright, with some warmth because it's brass, and have more sensitivity because of the size as opposed to a 6.5. It's also going to be really loud, due to the free floating system. It's basically a normal brass snare on steroids.
          My Studio

My Drum Covers

My In-Ear Monitors

www.twitter.com/devonsteelman
          www.facebook.com/devonsteelman

Comment

my school has the 4X14. beautiful snare. I have also played a 6.5X14. one day I'll get my own they're amazing.
            Updated Kit
            Xbox Live: Wilbus247
            Play drums the way you want to, because you want to. Have fun doing so. Be inspired by other drummers, not discouraged, there will always be someone better than you, try to have your own voice behind the kit, be yourself. -Brann Dailor of Mastodon

Comment

thanks everyone! should be picking it up wednesday
              Tama, Pearl, Sabian, Zildjian, Meinl

Irish Dance music is great to drum to =]

Comment

I have the 14"x6.5" model. Great snare.

The 5" will be able to give you a nasty crack, but as long as you don't crank the heads or the snares (side note, the SR-1000 strainer is INCREDIBLE, capable of extreme sensitivity while remaining rock-solid) it'll retain the warmth brass is known for.

I've also had three sound techs tell me that my 14"x6.5" is one the loudest snares they've encountered. First time was with the snares off too when I was goofing around before the sound check hahaha

EDIT: One more thing, it's heavy for its size. Very heavy. You've been warned
                Pearl Masters Custom MCX - 24x18 | 22x18 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 18x16
                1970s Gretsch USA - 22x14 | 12x8 | 13x9 | 16x16
                1960s Rogers Holiday - 20x14 | 13x9 | 16x16

Comment

That's interesting. Not to be disagreeable, but I have the 14 x 6.5 brass FF and it's not particularly loud or heavy. To me a heavy snare would be one of those ones made of cymbal metal like the Noble and Cooley Zildjian snare. That easily weighs twice what the FF does. My 6.5 FF is only slightly louder than my 5.5 maple ply snares. I'm happy with that since I want tone over volume, but if I was going for sheer volume I would keep looking for something else.
                  I agree 100% on the FF strainers though. The best I've ever run across.
                  My snare collection:
                  http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=243369

Comment

Working...
                  X