Hazy Emperor vs Glass 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazy Emperor vs Glass 500

what is the difference between these 2 snare side heads?

is there a real difference between 'hazy' and 'glass'

They're both 5 mil. heads. I'd say they're the same, except for the finish.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkinbiker00
      They're both 5 mil. heads. I'd say they're the same, except for the finish.
      yeah thats what i thought..

im assuming there is really no real difference in sound between a hazy and a glass?

Comment

I'd agree w/ that.
        sigpic

Comment

I recently switched my snare size head from a hazy emperor to a Glass 500. Other than the way I had it tuned, I couldn't tell a difference. This is one of the few occasions when it's okay to let brand loyalty control your decision.
          Evans4life btw.
          Tama Drums | Saluda Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Vic Firth Sticks | Gibraltar Hardware
          Tama Starclassic Performer EFX
          Originally posted by Und3rOATH
          79. If you say symbols,cymbols,symbals, cimbals, or anything that's not spelled cymbal. you're officialy a ratard.
          XBL GT: Lol Tillamook

Comment

I had a hazy emperor on my snare for a while and absolutely hated it.

Are you using either one of those now? If not, try out a hazy Diplomat (my favorite) or Ambassador first.
            My Truth Kit
            check us out

-Carson

Comment

hazy is more livley. glass heads are drier and brighter.

i wouldnt use either though. they just kill my snare
              -Euan

My kit: Sonor Designer "White Sparkle" (22x18, 13x9, 16x16)

Comment

Originally posted by carsonruga
                I had a hazy emperor on my snare for a while and absolutely hated it.

Are you using either one of those now? If not, try out a hazy Diplomat (my favorite) or Ambassador first.
                Good point! Imo, your snare side head should be as thin as possible to promote sensitivity. Diplomat weight heads are the way to go!
                sigpic

Comment

Good point! Imo, your snare side head should be as thin as possible to promote sensitivity. Diplomat weight heads are the way to go!
                  definitely agree. especially if you're using something like a cs or emperor x.
                  My Truth Kit
                  check us out

-Carson

Comment

i disagree.

if you want a thicker reso for a warmer/fatter sound you can make up for the less of snare response by using more wires. if u normally use 20 strand you can change to something like 30 or 42 (etc etc)

Comment

Originally posted by petew89
                      i disagree.

if you want a thicker reso for a warmer/fatter sound you can make up for the less of snare response by using more wires. if u normally use 20 strand you can change to something like 30 or 42 (etc etc)
                      Except it's not as simple as just adding more wires to gain more sensetivity. In fact, adding more wires can often give you a fatter sound.

Comment

I think you should at least try ambassador before something as thick as an emperor though.

From my experience (mainly using a thick batter head):
                        Diplomat-big crack, tons of tuning options, sensitive and good snare response at ANY volume. Not too warm though. Just a tight, loud crack.

Ambassador-didn't have as much time with it, but it had a good amount of sensitivity and a little more warmth to it. Not as much of crack but more of a pop, if that makes sense.

Emperor-I had to use it for a while and I tried every possible tuning option and couldn't get a decent sound. I admit it had a good warm sound to it when I gave it a good hit, but that was all. I couldn't get near enough snare response.
                        My Truth Kit
                        check us out

-Carson

Comment

I don't know why anybody would use a 5mil snare reso, except maybe possibly a big-*** ballad snare.

Hazy Ambassadors (Evans hazy 300) will work fine on almost any drum; Diplomats (Evans hazy 200) will both brighten and dry out a snare drum. Some snares need that but most don't. I get outstanding sensitivity with hazy ambassadors and Pearl 20-strand Ultra-sound snare wires; I wouldn't switch to diplomats for that reason alone.
                          Pearl ECX

New to tuning? Check these out:

Tuning toms Tuning Snares Tuning bass drums Why reso heads are important

Too much snare buzz? See this, then this.

Comment

Working...
                          X