remo controlled sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remo controlled sound

ok so i just buoght a new sanre head and after like 3 days of playing it its got loads of white marks on and it and the coating has tiny cracks and looks like it is abuot to start peeeling off.

is this a massive problem? but should it b happening so soon? ill get a pic of it up when i can
    Vision VLX clear birch
    20 x 18
    10 x 8
    12 x 9
    14 x 14
    14 x 5.5

Zildjian cymbals and sticks

It'd say the white marks are normal, however, cracks and peeling, not so much. Never used those heads though so Im not sure how they are.
    Tama SK Hyperdrive 6-Piece Brushed Vintage Blue
    Yamaha Stage Custom 4-Piece Dark Silver Metallic

Meinl Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    Vater Sticks

~The Hyper Drive Club~

Comment

Originally posted by tom444
      ok so i just buoght a new sanre head and after like 3 days of playing it its got loads of white marks on and it and the coating has tiny cracks and looks like it is abuot to start peeeling off.

is this a massive problem? but should it b happening so soon? ill get a pic of it up when i can
      haha. its a remo man. come on.

totally normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint
        haha. its a remo man. come on.

totally normal.
        - this is why I havn't used one :P not a remo fan.

Meinl Cymbals
        Evans Heads
        Vater Sticks

~The Hyper Drive Club~

Comment

People care too much about looks. The compressed (NOT COMPLETELY GONE) coating on Remo heads has no affect on the sound, UNLESS you are using brushes.

In fact, I like the sound of a Remo when it's slightly broken in and the coating is slowly starting to smudge or compress. It never "flakes" away or cracks off into pieces of coating on the floor.
          Headhunters Sticks and Creations Artist

Comment

Originally posted by PureRockFury
            People care too much about looks. The compressed (NOT COMPLETELY GONE) coating on Remo heads has no affect on the sound, UNLESS you are using brushes.

In fact, I like the sound of a Remo when it's slightly broken in and the coating is slowly starting to smudge or compress. It never "flakes" away or cracks off into pieces of coating on the floor.
            The way the OP is saying, it seems like it is cracking off into pieces, I guess we shall wait and see his pictures.

Meinl Cymbals
            Evans Heads
            Vater Sticks

~The Hyper Drive Club~

Comment

Wait, is your Remo CS the clear one, or the coated one? I assume you mean the coated one, right? It doesn't really affect sound very much.
              sigpic

Comment

Aim your hits towards the middle.. right there is fine.
                Technics SL-1200

Comment

i've ran into coating problems with all the head brands. but i still use remo. but yeah peeling definitely ain't normal

Comment

Originally posted by PureRockFury

agreed

my controlled sound head looks like absolute dog balls, but it's still the best sounding head for my snare that i've ever tried

Comment

ok actully i spose peeling was the wrong word

but tis like like if you hold it p to the light you see holes in the coating where thelight gets through
                      Vision VLX clear birch
                      20 x 18
                      10 x 8
                      12 x 9
                      14 x 14
                      14 x 5.5

Comment

Yeah so compressed or smudged which happens often. The only type of head that I have seen the coating actually flake off was an Aquarian Texture Coated batter.

Just play and enjoy! The CS heads are great for snares.
                        Headhunters Sticks and Creations Artist

Comment

ok actully i spose peeling was the wrong word

but tis like like if you hold it p to the light you see holes in the coating where thelight gets through
                          Pretty normal in my experience and nothing to worry about until it gets the point where the whole head is too smooth for brush work if you use brushes (which is probably unlikely to be your main game if you are using a CS). I agree it is annoying when it happens so soon after a head change; could be a factor of how hard you hit, whether you have a doggy-paddle technique as apposed to the stick hitting straight down and up, how smooth your stick tips are and whether wood or nylon, how angled the snare is positioned, etc.

As an off topic comment, one of my pet hates is what Australian's call 'tall poppy syndrome'. Why the remo-bashing? This marking of the coating happens with all the brands, and remo is as good as any of the others in the top tier. I think the remo-bashing phenomenon is perhaps due to fashion? More trendy to support the less well-known eclectic brand rather than the market leader? ... Then pretty soon that new eclectic brand becomes mainstream and then it joins the ranks of the tall poppies that need to be cut down?
                          My snares: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...are-collection

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheblues
                            Pretty normal in my experience and nothing to worry about until it gets the point where the whole head is too smooth for brush work if you use brushes (which is probably unlikely to be your main game if you are using a CS). I agree it is annoying when it happens so soon after a head change; could be a factor of how hard you hit, whether you have a doggy-paddle technique as apposed to the stick hitting straight down and up, how smooth your stick tips are and whether wood or nylon, how angled the snare is positioned, etc.
                            yea i dont use brushes at all and i do hit quite hard so it might be that. im pretty sure my technique could be improved but its not something i have major stresses about as long as im enjoying my drumming and not destroying the drums then im happy. my snare is titled slightly towards me and i use fairly heavy wooden sticks with wooden tops but they are a bit chipped here and there which i spose wouldnt help lol
                            Vision VLX clear birch
                            20 x 18
                            10 x 8
                            12 x 9
                            14 x 14
                            14 x 5.5

Comment

Working...
                            X