18x16
    16x16
    14x14
    13x9

$$550
    pm if u want

Comment

Heh, you were close!

Anyway, I took off the Emperor X and put on an old dented up coated PS3. The drum no longer resonates as much as it used to and the snare sensitivity is back. Is my Emperor X defective or does it need to wear in more? I have the Emperor X off the drum in it's original box now.

Comment

The Evans Power Center is just one-ply with a dot, whereas the Emperor X is 2-ply with a dot. I think it's a terrible head, and you'd be happier just getting another Evans Power Center. 2-ply heads need more tension to get the same pitch as a 1-ply head.

Comment

you should try to put Evans HD dry on your drum. They go GREAT with steel snares.

Comment

Today I went and exchanged the head for an Evans Coated Reverse Dot Power Center. The drum sounds great now! That's leading me to think more that the Emperor X is defective, like I originally thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph11
              Today I went and exchanged the head for an Evans Coated Reverse Dot Power Center. The drum sounds great now! That's leading me to think more that the Emperor X is defective, like I originally thought.
              I haven't read this whole thread, but the "X" is a really dead sounding head. Especially compared to the single ply Evans you replaced it with.
              www.showtimesoundllc.com

Want a Ludwig Acrolite ? PM me.

Comment

That's why I wanted it. It was actually ringing out more than my old Evans Power Center.

Comment

hmm.... i had a simalar problem with my snare. I took it to my local drum shop. My old snare heads were really good had the perfect sound to me. But then i went to my shop and he changed the drum heads (batter and resonant) me not knowing it sound just like yours dull no pop sound. So i tried to tune it the way i liked it, that didn't work. So i undid both heads and tryed to put it too the sound i like and it still! didn't work. So i guessed it had to be the heads because the heads that i had before hand that were really good worked for me. But the guy gave me new heads and they sounded ugly. Thats my advice and opinion lol cya
                  Pearl Reference Purple Craze

22x18|10x8|12x9|14x11F|

Pearl Reference Cast steel snare drum 14 x 6.5

Pearl Drums|Pearl Hardware|Zildjian Cymbals

Comment

Before I even read the entire post I immediately thought that it was an issue with changing the bottom head and not being able to get the tension on the snare correct. Then I read you changed the strainer and I'm almost completely convinced that this is what caused your "problem".

Have you ever changed a bottom head on a snare before, or is this your first time? I only ask, because I remember having problems getting the snares to sound right when I first did this same thing. Seems I was not loosening up the strainer when putting the snares back on. This did not allow me to tighten the snares after I was "done" installing them. Could this be your issue also?
                    Mapex Saturn: 8 , 10 , 12, 14, 16, 22 B 14 & 13 S
                    Mapex Saturn V: 10, 12, 16, 22 B
                    Drumcraft Series 8 Maple: 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 20, B, & 14, 13, 12, & 10 S
                    Drumcraft Series 7 Birch: 8, 10, 12, 14,16, (2) 22 B, & 14 S
                    Yamaha Stage Custom: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22 B

Comment

in my experience though a lot of people swear by the emperor x. The only drum I've gotten a good sound with the emperor x is the mike bordin snare. The lugs on that one seem to be the only one that can support the tension needed for the emperor x to sound really good. Though I have found some maple snares to actually sound pretty good with them. Also part of your problem may be the 42 strand wires. More tension is needed from the throwoff to make it sound less throaty which could be why your strainer broke. I personally prefer cheap 20 strand wires on all my drums because you dont need that much tension on them. It's also easier to loosen them up.

Comment

the excessive thickness of the emperor x batter was probably the main issue...its two thick plies AND coated WITH a dot ...........think about it, why would the bottom head resonate more? because the top heads thickness gives it natural muffling properties compounded by the muffling and the center dot.
                        the other issue is probably the fact you probably didn't seat the head. not only is important to crack the excess glue in the ring, but you also need to allow the head to comform the the shape of the drum. NO drum no matter how perfect, or from any company is absolutely perfectly round. your old head sounded better because it was seated . after time, it l stretched to the exact shape of the drum .

.thats my theory anyway

Comment

the remo emp x head is a VERY THICK HEAD. possibly the thickest snare drumhead out the market today. You NEED to crank it to get a good sound out of it. it will sound awful at lower to medium tunings. my advice would be to get something similar to the original head or get the same head. if you want something thicker try a remo emperor or a evans g2 coated. its a thicker head but can handle better tunings. Im not sure about the tight as it will go thing, you should never be tuning your drums as tight as it will go, your going to strip and damage your lugs for sure.

should also mention, make sure all the lugs are tuned evenly. uneven lug tuning will cause tons of ring and overtones!
                          Tama Superstar Custom

Comment

Working...
                          X