Free Floater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Floater

i'm from bray, so i'm somewhere in the middle,but not southside dublin (just gotta make that clear)
    I'm ahead, I'm a man
    I'm the first mammal to wear pants, yeah
    I'm at peace with my lust
    I can kill 'cause in God I trust, yeah
    It's evolution, baby

DIAMOND BURST ARMY

Originally posted by susswald
    not southside dublin (just gotta make that clear)

Ah you're not too far away so, I was thinking Cork or somewhere. They don't have as much stuff in stock as some of the Dublin shops but what they have is more varied. I'll pm you their number when I go home to Longford (not Longford town - just gotta make THAT clear!) for the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by killer kick
      8x14 Brass FF
      geeez i want one of those
      Aka. Kwon

Comment

i get my stuff from music maker, they have the best drum department ive seen in ireland, an entire wall plastered with cymbals, and masters,DW and Ayote drums all over the gaf.

thank god i'm not from cork! ha!
        I'm ahead, I'm a man
        I'm the first mammal to wear pants, yeah
        I'm at peace with my lust
        I can kill 'cause in God I trust, yeah
        It's evolution, baby

DIAMOND BURST ARMY

Comment

Dude, I tried to send you that number but your PM box is full...

Comment

Originally posted by killer kick
            8x14 Brass FF

If you keep showing that beautiful 8x14 brass FF, I could easily
            learn to hate you!

j/k

but I do love your FF! Its absolutely stunning! !!!!!
            sigpic

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

Comment

My druim teacher was telling me that with free floaters, you can change the shell? If this is true, couldn't i just buy a 13X3 brass piccolo, buy an extra 4.5 inches of shell, and attach it to make it a 6.5, and make them interchangeable? Because he seems to think that.
              My bands:

www.myspace.com/praetorian

www.myspace.com/myrainshadow

Comment

Originally posted by gotdrums?
                My druim teacher was telling me that with free floaters, you can change the shell? If this is true, couldn't i just buy a 13X3 brass piccolo, buy an extra 4.5 inches of shell, and attach it to make it a 6.5, and make them interchangeable? Because he seems to think that.
                Umm, not exactly. First of all, you couldn't buy "extra" shell, you'd have to buy a whole 6.5" free floater shell.

More importantly, if you look at the pic Monday posted on page one, you'll see the lugs span most of the thickness of the shell, so that the top head can be tensioned against the aluminium ring at the bottom which holds the lugs and strainer. The lugs are specifically sized for the shell that you got with the snare, so with a piccolo, they're only about an inch long, but on a 6.5" they're about 4.5-5 inches long. You'd have to get the lugs for a 6.5" - I don't know if they're available to buy separately (but if they are I'd be interested too!).

I suppose you COULD get really long tension rods... don't know how well that would work under tension and it would look kinda weird.

Comment

Your teacher was right, you can change the shell (material only according to the original depth of your drum) If you have a maple free floater 6.5 " , you can change the shell to say a copper 6.5 shell (with free floaters the depth of the shell is not the same as the drum depth) You can not change the shell from a 6.5 maple to a 3.5 maple or any other material, as pj818 said the hardware bolts etc. will be to long. If you are still wondering how it works, see Mondays pic. the shell sits in the second hoop down and the top head is pullled towards the middle hoop ( shell in between middle hoop and top hoop) the bottom head is pulled against the middle ring, thus no hardware is actually attached to the shell itself.
                  Hope this helps.......
                  Perfect tempo....it's a beautiful thing......

Comment

Originally posted by Monday317
                    Don't listen to Spike, he obviously doesn't know.

The top hoop and the bottom hoop assembly are metal, and the shell fits in between the two. The metal rims hold the head against the shell, but do not contact the shell in any other way. That allows the shell to fully resonate and also increases its volume. Here's a pic which should make things clear:
                    OMG that looks SOOOOO nice WOW
                    blah

Comment

do u know what its called? talking about the snare monday posted?
                      blah

Comment

hey never mind i found out what its called but does anyone know if it has a ringy sound to it?
                        blah

Comment

What's the snare that Monday posted called?

Hah nevermind, I find it immediately as well. Dang expensive though.

Insidious - RWH
                          Last edited by za105; 02-04-2004, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Ahhh man! Now im shattered! Just have to persuade and nag my parents to buy me both
                            My bands:

www.myspace.com/praetorian

www.myspace.com/myrainshadow

Comment

Working...
                            X