Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to acheive that " Studio " snare sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to acheive that " Studio " snare sound.

It seems like every time I hear a new single from a pop/rock/indie/punk (etc) band, they all have remotely the same snare tone. Fat, Deep, Open, yet still cuts through the mix and has a good pop to it. I know thats its all altered in the studio and whatnot, but the natural sound of the snare has to be at least close to the final product, correct? So. I'm wondering what shell materials, plies, hoops, heads, snares, blah blah will be closest to getting that sound.

If anyone doesn't know what kind of sound I'm talking about, I've got examples....
    Vanity of Vanities...................

............ALL is vanity.

Originally posted by Drummer7411
    but the natural sound of the snare has to be at least close to the final product, correct?
    Not at all. Hence why all those drummers, who all use different snare drums can all get the same sound.

Comment

I gotcha.

Well, TMF, I think you and I both generally like the same snare sound.
      Your Sonor sounds great, but its too high and ringy for me.

Comment

I gotcha.

Well, TMF, I think you and I both generally like the same snare sound.
        Your Sonor sounds great, but its too high and ringy for me.
        It can tune much lower, and I personally like some overtones to my snare, but slap a pre-muffled head on it, and voilĂ . I'll tune it down and muffle it, and record it. See how you like it. Give me a few minutes.

Comment

Thanks dude.

Comment

The natural sound of the snare has to be at least close to the final product, correct?
            Not necessarily. You will find that often engineers put loads of duct tape, tea towels, wallets, whatever to cut out a lot of resonance from the drum. All you really need from the snare drum is a solid attack with a bit of tone and a good preamp, EQ, compressor, reverb will be able to thicken out the body of the snare sound.

Mind you, it helps to have a great quality snare. The deeper the snare, the more body you are going to have. If you are after this sound on your snare, I'd recommend using a 2-ply snare batter or experiment using dampening methods. Mic up the snare top and bottom (the batter mic pointing more toward the centre of the drum to avoid overtones) and phase invert the snare side mic when you combine the two signals.

What snare are you using?
            My RCI Starlite acrylic drumkit

Comment

Before.

After 1/8 turn down on each lug, two cymbal felts on the edge of the head and tightening the wires a little.

Another 1/8 turn down on each lug.

Comment

Well, I've got a good deep fat snare sound right now ( 14x7 Maple snare ), but I'm just looking for a little bit more " Oomph " and body out of my snare. I use an Emperor X over Hazy 300 with Puresound Blasters, and I play this drum every week, its mic'ed both sides, its compressed, EQ'd and sampled a bit , and sounds AWESOME when all of that is done to it, but naturally it still sounds a more thin and cracky than I'ed like. I'm wondering if that Tama 14x8 Starclassic Bubinga would give me that extra body and solid attack that i need,

Comment

Well, I've got a good deep fat snare sound right now ( 14x7 Maple snare ), but I'm just looking for a little bit more " Oomph " and body out of my snare. I use an Emperor X over Hazy 300 with Puresound Blasters, and I play this drum every week, its mic'ed both sides, its compressed, EQ'd and sampled a bit , and sounds AWESOME when all of that is done to it, but naturally it still sounds a more thin and cracky than I'ed like. I'm wondering if that Tama 14x8 Starclassic Bubinga would give me that extra body and solid attack that i need,
                  Maybe something with more plies?
                  Winner of "Best avatar" award 2008.

~My MCX~
                  My own assembled snare (Better pics page 3)

sigpic

Comment

Well, a thicker shell makes the sound brighter, which I don't want.

Comment

Your drum is definitely "fat" enough to produce a huge sound. I'd experiment with tuning before going out and buying a new drum. Each drum has "sweet spots" where the tone of the drum really thickens out and resonates. I'd experiment with batter and resonant tuning combinations until you find the tuning point your drum starts to sing at.

Comment

Well, a thicker shell makes the sound brighter, which I don't want.
                        Ah k. I thought it could provide a bit more of the 'oomph' you were looking for.
                        Winner of "Best avatar" award 2008.

~My MCX~
                        My own assembled snare (Better pics page 3)

sigpic

Comment

I have dude.
                          I truly have.

Batter Higher than Reso
                          Reso Higher than Batter
                          Batter and Reso at the same not
                          All of it.

This drum sounds great, for sure. I just know that a higher end drum, thats deeper, will sound better than a stock 14x7 Mapex snare.

Comment

Well so much for that...

Comment

Oh, I thought you said Masters, not Mapex. I'd definately consider trying out different snares such as the Starclassic Bubinga to get the sound you're after. I use a custom Brady Jarrah 14x5.5 and get a solid sound out of that very easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X