Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Pearl Free Floating in Brass + Maple: should I stay o should I go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Pearl Free Floating in Brass + Maple: should I stay o should I go?

I was hunting a 14"x3,5" FFS, and accidentally a shop in my country is selling this used snare for 199 €uros in "excellent" conditions; I'd like to hear from (present or past) owners of the old FFS series if it seems a good deal to them or not. Is the old series' snare throw-off a reliable one?

The deal includes:

PEARL Free Floating FB1435, obviously 14"x3,5"
    Brass Shell
    +
    Maple Shell in Black Mist
    +
    Rockbag soft case

Photos:

So, should I stay or should I go?
    Last edited by cesko; 02-21-2008, 02:46 AM.
    My Kit: TAMA Artstar ES●Zildjian/UFiP/Wuhan Cymbals●TAMA/Pearl Hardware●LP●Vater Sticks●Evans Heads
    My "new" FF snare!

I'm not sure how the currency system works in your country, so I'm not sure how good of a deal that is to be honest. But that snare looks quality. It appears it was pretty well taken care of.

And with the option of two shells like that, can't really go wrong.

I own a newer model 14x6.5 Maple FF and love it. But I've used the older models like that on occasion, and I never noticed any problems with the throwoff system or anything. I know people that still own them that haven't had any problems.

If you're into the sound of shallower snares like that, you'd probably love that snare. And with both the Maple and Brass shell inserts, can't really go wrong.

Good luck man.
    Originally posted by ttaM
    jamfelt is a way of life. it's its own culture.

Comment

It's hard to make a realistic comparison money-wise at the present time. In this exact moment 199 €uros are 292 Dollar$, which could be a lot in the USA. Consider that not many months ago €uros and Dollar$ were almost equivalent. A new 14"x3,5" brass FFS costs in Italy 350 €uros.
      My Kit: TAMA Artstar ES●Zildjian/UFiP/Wuhan Cymbals●TAMA/Pearl Hardware●LP●Vater Sticks●Evans Heads
      My "new" FF snare!

Comment

Hmm, if it's a good deal in comparison to other ones in your country, then I say go for it. However, the chrome looks a little "bubbly." What's with that?

Comment

I think the camera's flash is just exaggerating small chrome nicks.. nothing that you'll notice in real life.
          My "new" FF snare!

Comment

I almost bought it.. is anyone able to tell me when this snare was produced? I know that the hexagonal lugs date it back at the first half of the '90es.. but is there a way to know precisely when this little beauty was born? (maybe with the shells' serial numbers..)
            My "new" FF snare!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6jCI...eature=related

Comment

Yeah man you got it!
                My "new" FF snare!

Comment

So, I bought the snare! The seller threw in also a new coated Ambassador.. everything should arrive next Monday! I'm excited!
                  My "new" FF snare!

Comment

Here it is... I love it!!!

My "new" FF snare!

Comment

hey there,

I was wondering how the snare worked out for you.

I got the exact same snare drum but somehow the snare wire just won't touch the reso head. Have you had that problem?

Comment

Does everything fit snugly? Take it apart and see if the shell is out of round, or lay it on a flat surface and see if the shell is bent.
                        Pics would help alot.
                        Dear diary..... Jackpot
                        Originally posted by Hawk440
                        I'd rather play like no one but me. Why would you want to sound like someone else. You can only be a second rate someone else. You can always be a first rate YOU.
                        Originally posted by UpTheIrons
                        You are as funny as a plant in a room.

Comment

Nice, that is exactly the same piccolo I've used for at least 15 years now. I usually mount it off to the left as an accent snare.... its got a nice sharp crack. For some of the smaller venues/pubs we played it was a bit too ear-splitting as a main. The only problem I had was one of the lugs breaking on it...but that was easily fixed/replaced.

I dont have a second maple shell for it, but I have been keeping my eyes open for one... you will enjoy this drum. It sounds really cool with the snares disengaged as well... very latin sound to it. I've had best results using a coated ambassador on batter and diplomat on reso.
                          Yamaha Recording Custom
                          Pearl Signature Virgil Donati Snare
                          Pearl Piccolo - brass/freefloater
                          Sabian/Zildjian
                          Subaru WRX
                          Presonus Firepod Nuendo DAW
                          Fender guitars Marshall Amplifiers

www.myspace.com/cookiemanband

Comment

Working...
                          X