What snare do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What snare do I have?

I bought a second hand Export kit and I suspect that the snare is not the original one that came with the kit. I'm hoping someone here can help and has some info. I did try a search but could only find info on the brass gripper series?

On the badge it has "Super Gripper System Maple Shell". It has 10 lugs and 2.3mm hoops.

I will get some pics up when I re-connect my computer.

Thanks

Super Gripper refers to the type of lugs it has, they are quick release lugs similar to the Yamaha Nouveau design, however the majority of the lug remains on the shell. They were introduced in 1985

To quote Gene Okamoto;

"The Super Gripper lugs were discontinued because...

1) They were expensive relative to other Pearl lugs
    2) They were difficult to handle at the factory (time consuming for parts assembling)
    3) They were heavier than conventional lug (perhaps less resonance of the shell?)
    4) If the drum was tuned low, the lugs could rattle
    5) Only 6.5" depth was available for snare drum. "

Comment

It means that the snare you have is a top of the range job of it's time and should be very nice indeed! It'll be a GLX drum from the time when these were top of the line. You don't see many maple ones about either, mostly the brass ones.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for your help!! Is there anybody in particular that I could e-mail the serial number to to get a birth date?

It's a little old and rusted here and there, but it sounds good none the less.

Comment

Pics as soon as possible, or your mother smells like a fish.

Comment

Originally posted by shanmag
            Cool. Thanks for your help!! Is there anybody in particular that I could e-mail the serial number to to get a birth date?

It's a little old and rusted here and there, but it sounds good none the less.
            No. The serial number is only there for insurance purposes, it doesn't work for dating pearl snares.

Comment

Working...
            X