metal for jazz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal for jazz?

Hi i made a new post cause i figured i may get more feedback. in the search for a new snare alot of you recommended a copper ff or tico torres snare now i have been playing drums for 7 years and i must confess i dont think i ever played a copper or aluminum snare how do these snares mearsure up for jazz? j/w

Copper and aluminum have a darker/mellower tone that steel. They are closer to wood in terms of warmth. They would work well for any genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Synth
      Copper and aluminum have a darker/mellower tone that steel. They are closer to wood in terms of warmth. They would work well for any genre.
      I actually used a brass pacific (4.5x14) for a small jazz group. It was nice because it had a brighter tone, which made it great for the acoustic setting I was playing in.

Comment

I use the Copper FF. I have a 14x3.5 size, though. It's a dark sounding snare. Copper gives a very dark tone.I have a Superhoop on top, instead of the Mastercast, to open it up a bit. I have mine tuned for pop music, very cracky instead of full sounding. It can be used for anything, however. I use it for some jazzy stuff sometimes.
        Pearl, the BEST reason to play drums

PDF PRESS

PHOTOGRAPHY - TWITTER - RUBBERDUCKY

Comment

Originally posted by Qball319
          I actually used a brass pacific (4.5x14) for a small jazz group. It was nice because it had a brighter tone, which made it great for the acoustic setting I was playing in.
          I'd like a 4x13" FF brass, and a 14x5.5 brass. I think it's the closest metal to steel, without the harsh overring. Brass is brighter and livelier than my acrolite.

Comment

For jazz I would use a maple snare, 14x5, or a metal but a ludwig (supraphonic or acrolite if possible).

Comment

Originally posted by Musashi
              For jazz I would use a maple snare, 14x5, or a metal but a ludwig (supraphonic or acrolite if possible).
              QUE????? COMO????

You mean you don't use a 13x6.5" Musashi oak for jazz??? j/k.

I am waiting for a 14x5.5 Yamaha oak custom (honey amber) that I have wood hoops ready for... oak stained and glossy.

Comment

Originally posted by Synth
                QUE????? COMO????
                You mean you don't use a 13x6.5" Musashi oak for jazz??? j/k.
                yeah, sometimes I can get free from the musashi maniac inside me

but only sometimes...

It's the only snare I have for now. but I have plans for a 14x5 ultracast, and as I talked with Al, a MW

but for now I can't play jazz (learning though) so It's not really worring me.

Comment

Copper and steel are great for jazz. Check out the Tony Williams stuff with the Miles Davis Quintet... He used a steel drum (heads and snares cranked, and it sounds great), I believe Roy Haynes used one for Now He Sings, Now He Sobs with Chick Corea.

Roy Haynes uses a copper snare now, as does the head of percussion at the college I go to now, and they sound fantastic in a jazz setting. Very crackly tuned high, yet mellow.
                  "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X