Ferrone vs. Ultracast Snare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrone vs. Ultracast Snare

I am a new drummer and have purchased a beginner set of drums. I want to upgrade the snare to either a Ferrone or an Ultracast. I am not sure which would be better for the sound I am looking for. I want a rock sound (I'm not sure how else to describe it). Can anyone help with a recommendation?

Two different beasts. The Ferrone is a super thin rolled brass shell, which is very common. It creates, from my experience, a full, throaty sound, with plenty of resonance. The ultracast is a cast 3mm thick aluminum shell, which will have a higher pitch, with an enormous amount of power, that will be more "in your face". Within a band context, the cast aluminum shell will cut through the mix alot more, in my experience.
    Listen to any recent Metallica recording. I know Lars uses a cast 3mm shelled Tama., even though the recording might be processed somewhat, that is the sound I hear when I have played one. Ditto with any Tool recording. That is an 8x14 cast aluminum (thick) shell. Make sure and crank the cd, and you should hear that snare bark.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think the Ferrone may be the sound I am looking for. A deeper, throatier sound rather that the higher, loud sound.

Comment

Danny Carey's snare is NOT a cast aluminum snare. Danny Carey's snare is a 14x8 Sonor Bronze snare with solid brass hardware. Just to clarify.
        Headhunters Sticks and Creations Artist

Comment

Working...
        X