Prices???....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prices???....

once I get a job (I actually find out today if I got a job teaching drums or not), I would like to invest in a small kit to just play jazz on, and I figured an SMX would do well for this. I was thinking either 14"x18" or 16"x18" bass (probably 14"), 9"x12" or 8"x12" mounted tom (do they offer a tom that shallow? I haven't really looked into it), and a 14"x14" floor tom. I'm not sure on the other options (like virgin bass and colors), so I'm not sure if it would be a special order kit, but I was just wondering what I might expect to pay for these pieces at my local guitar center.

So if anyone could steer me in the right direction, that would be great.
    If you've ever pushed on a door that said pull, copy this into your signature

Probably around $1000
    Ocean Sparkle Masters
    Here she is:
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...=ocean+sparkle

Band website:
    http://www.alwaysfrantic.com/home.cfm

Comment

how about the catalina club kit?

18x16
      12x8
      14x14
      I play with strings and sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadSkinMask

18x16
        12x8
        14x14

thats the way to do it.
        Pearl Drums
        Paiste cymbals
        Remo Heads
        Vater Sticks
        shure Mics

She seemed dressed in all of me ,Stretched across my shame, All the torment and the pain, Leaked through and covered me

Comment

18x16
          12x8
          14x14

I was thinking about that, but there are a few things I don't like about it. I like to get drum equipment that is made with parts that would be easily replaced if broken. The Catalina club kit uses very long tension rods, which are easily bent, and you can really only find replacements directly from gretsch. Plus, the 12" tom only has 5 lugs. Since the standard for 12" toms is 6 lugs, it would be hard to find a new rim if I needed one, which is entirely possible since that kit also has thin rims, and I like to use the occassional rim shot on the toms.

I'll have to take a look at them and play on them first-hand before i ruled them out, but I would rather have something that's going to be more durable (aka: I won't have to worry about stuff like tension rods bending, like if I bumped it on something), and more easy to fix if I do accidently hurt it (something with fairly universal parts). Thanks for the idea though. I'll have to give guitar center a call or something and have them give me an estimate on the session kit. It's three drums, and none of them are all that big, so I don't think it should cost much, plus I always do the drum-off at guitar center, so I always have that little 10% off card....and I usually get deals there anyways. I'm sure if I didn't think the price they were giving me was fair, I could get it lowered a little.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

becides......its a Gretch kit! lol

jk

But yeah...around 1000-1200 bucks..
            sigpic

Pearl Reference:Purple Craze
            20x16|8x7|10x8|12x9|14x14F|16x16F|13x6.5
            DW Collectors Exotix
            20x14|12x8|14x14F|14x5
            stevestruss.com

Check out my band!

Comment

i have seen a few smaller sessions and even masters kits on ebay for pretty cheap..try looking there too man.

Comment

i have seen a few smaller sessions and even masters kits on ebay for pretty cheap..try looking there too man.
                good idea! I was almost thinking to cut down on costs I could get the same sizes in ELX (they make 18" bass drums, right?), but I figure if I'm going to get a strict jazz kit, I want full maple shells, to get the tone I want, instead of just the sizes I want...know what I mean? I figure if I can get the small session kit, those maple shells will sound awesome for jazz, and I would keep my yamaha stage custom advantages for rock, fusion, funk, etc. etc. for a while.

Comment

what about going with a small custom company..i know a few people here make kits and all..maybe see if someone will make you a nice maple jazz kit.im sure you could definitely get one for under 800 bucks.

Comment

what about going with a small custom company..i know a few people here make kits and all..maybe see if someone will make you a nice maple jazz kit.im sure you could definitely get one for under 800 bucks.
                    Good idea. Maybe I'll actually take the initiative to do it myself....but I doubt that will happen. I would probably end up getting all the stuff and never having time to do it. I should check with conaway drums. I love their stuff, and the prices are good. I know a while back I had had the guy there price me out a similar setup (20" bass drum, 12" tom, 14" floor tom), and that was, I believe, around $850? But don't quote me on that, I really can't remember. Maybe the slightly smaller bass drum of the setup I want now will get it down lower. I'll email them and check on that. The downside to that though, is that I would have to pay for it in full. If I bought something from guitar center (like sessions), I could pay for it a little at a time...and if I managed to pay it off within a year there would be no interest.

Comment

Working...
                    X