head seating question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head seating question

If I take a drum head totally off, and put it back on the same drum do I have to seat it again?

what do you mean "seat it"..you will have to retighten it and tune it back up.
    I play with strings and sticks.

Comment

I mean seat it. Do I have to tighten it more than i need it, and push on the head to ensure good contact to the bearing edge?

Comment

Originally posted by hogtied
        I mean seat it. Do I have to tighten it more than i need it, and push on the head to ensure good contact to the bearing edge?
        just lay the head over the shell..then place the rim back on pushing down a little bit.just to make sure its snug..put the tension rods back on and tighten them by hand until all of them are on the shell.then start your tuning process from there.
        I play with strings and sticks.

Comment

If I take a drum head totally off, and put it back on the same drum do I have to seat it again?
          When you place the head back on make sure that it is placed exactly the same way as it was earlier. You can do this by looking at the position of the logo on the drum skin.

In any case, after fixing the head do apply pressure on the centre of the head with your palm. If your head is seated at the previous position, you'll hear the least amount of crackle when you press the drumhead.

Comment

I take my heads on and off all the time. I've had no problems on any of my drums. Typically, "seating" is done with new heads. The only issue might be if you drum has gone out of round. Then it would have to be oriented the same every time. Good quality heads shoud be consistantly round and even at the bearing edge point and should fit over the bearing edge the same all the way around the drum. When you put it back on, spin the head to make sure eveything is round, put the label back to where it was and tune away.
            Hope that helps.
            C.

Comment

It depends on what heads have on at the time....If it's a thinner head (like an Evans G2) I don't find that I need to seat it again...but when I take my Aquarian Preformance II's off I end up having to seat them up again...

Comment

Originally posted by ETdrummer318
                If it's a thinner head (like an Evans G2) I don't find that I need to seat it again.....

I always thought G2's were thick because they're 2 ply heads??

Comment

me too.. the numbers stand for the plies. the G1 is the one ply head.

when when seating it you crank it up then apply pressure with the palm, or tighten the tension rods hand tight, then apply pressure?!
                  -Sim
                  Pearl Image Vault --> http://www.pearldrum.com/2005imageva...ault-combo.htm

my mapex pro m: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...post1851675607

Comment

According to the DT Bible: YES! It will help alot.
                    Nils
                    Believe me, it is "BASSDRUM", not "BASEDRUM".
                    Nils' Website DER TROMMELSTIMMER
                    Main Kit

Comment

I just changed my previous reply just a bit - It got me to thinking that I did not have a real clear explanation in the DTB about this topic. So because of this thread, I have added the following to it on the Tuning & Seating page.

New Re-Seating: Upon reinstallation of a drumhead, do you need to seat it again? The safe answer is "yes" because it will not hurt. However, some logic and reasoning need to be applied here. Consider that your drum is a circle, as is the head. If your drum is such that the shell is slightly smaller than the head, it is possible that the head will not be in the exact same place once placed back upon the shell as it was the first time. Now twisting the heads position is not as important as is the location and relationship center of shell to center of head. Remember that the act of seating is to make sure you make contact all around the head and allow a bit of a break to develop in the collar of the head. So if you went through this process to begin with, or, the head(s) have been on the drum under tension for several days to weeks, then a natural forming will have occurred between the head and the bearing edge.

So … If your edges are not real even all around (and some are not), OR, there is some slop between the head laying on the shell (meaning some side to side movement), OR, the head has not been on very long, OR, you are moving the head to a different drum, then the need to put the head back under tension via a seating process is stronger than if the edges are real good and little slop exists. In the end you will know because when you try to bring the head back to pitch you achieve the desired result, then seating is not a factor. However, if you find you need to tune higher, or there is buzzing, or the tone is flat, then you need to just bring the head back up and let it sit for several hours. Then a natural reforming will occur, BUT, it may never be able to be tuned as low as before because it becomes more difficult to get the film to reform a second time than the first.
                      Last edited by Prof.Sound; 08-06-2005, 08:43 AM.
                      Prof.Sound is the Author of the Drum Tuning Bible available at no charge to forum readers here.

Version 3 PDF Download now available for download!

Comment

what would you know about tuning heads :P
                        -Sim

Comment

while your floating around, can you answer my question?! do you have to tighten it a bit then put pressure on, or just hand tighten then put pressure on?!
                          -Sim

Comment

Just downloaded the new and improved Drum Tuning Bible

Comment

Prof. Sound is a member here? Wow I never knew
                              Put this in your sig if you love AAXplosion crashes!!!!!!

My Kit

Support the artists.
                              Put this in your signature if you actually buy music

Comment

Working...
                              X