gene hoglans SRX kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gene hoglans SRX kit?

i saw today in an article with gene hoglan in modern drummer that he uses an SRX kit. im not all the familiar with the sessions kits, bu ti know that they used to be maple and mahogany mixed. where the SRX kits solid maple or mixed?

I believe that the SRX shells were solid maple.
    Pearl Session Series #118 Pacific Blue

Comment

I read that article too, and was thinking, "Doesn't he have enough money for a Masters?"

Tama Superstars
      22x18
      16x16
      12x9

Snares
      Ludwig Vistalite 14x5.5
      Ludwig Acrolite 14x5.5
      Pridaho custom maple 14x6

Cymbals
      14" Zildjian New Beat hats
      17" Saluda Mist X crash
      19" Saluda Ion V crash
      21" Zildjian Sweet Ride

Band: http://myspace.com/etceteraetcetera

Comment

Originally posted by oX_Rhythm_Xo
        I read that article too, and was thinking, "Doesn't he have enough money for a Masters?"
        same thing i was thinkin actually.....

Comment

Richard Christy used to use an SRX when he played in Death. I remember thinking the same thing about the master for him too. Maybe it's a sound thing? (although, I'd hope not.....for Pearl's sake)

Comment

SRX is the older version of the SMX,so it is really just 100% maple wood.I guess it may just make him feel better(?) to play the SRX.i mean why not,its a sessions

Comment

Gene Hoglan is far from rich I remember reading that he lost his house in the past year, and had roomate(s) move out, which helped cause him to lose the house. So if he's living with roomates and lost his house, Im gonna guess that he isn't in the best of financial states.
              Pearl MCX | Mapex Black Panther | Sabian | ICON | Eliminators |

Currently drumming for:
              Tristan McIntosh (Country: American Idol Finalist)

Comment

yeah man....Death and Strapping Young Lad have not been getting much air play lately

Comment

Heres the interview talking about it:
                  Metal-Rules.com: You wrote on the STRAPPING website that you and Devin [Townsend, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD mastermind] went through a lot of **** last year. What exactly happened?

Gene Hoglan: "Typical life ****, you know? Break-ups with girlfriends. Just all that sort of nonsense. Dev went through a lot of **** on his own — a lot of personal ****. If he wants to speak about it, cool, but I saw what happened to Dev last year and I have full respect for that man for coming through the way that he did. It was just a crappy year. Our buds, Byron [Stroud, bass] and Jed [Simon, guitar], were gone. There was a lot of work and **** was going on. For me, my roommate stiffed me on about three months of paying rent, so we lost our house. I paid the back rent for him and we still ended up losing the house that we were at. I lived on a couch in the middle of writing this record. I just didn't have time to look for another house. Nobody I knew was ready to have a roommate, everybody was pretty ensconced at where they were, so I was kinda bouncing around between different couches. I remember that I put this notice up for our fans on our website and suddenly it was on Blabbermouth: 'Gene's broke! No ****ing way!' Boy, did that get ****ing taken way out of context! It was a ****** year but it was a great inspiration. I'm ****ing glad my roommate did all that ****ing stupid **** because it inspired me to really ****ing lay it down heavy on this one. This album was such a mission to write, a mission to just be ****ing devastating. We want to write a good record, a killer record, but also show off our own noodling capacities, as well. Dev gets to do some wicked solos on this and he gets to do some shredding guitar work. Dev's one of the best shredders in the world but you'd never know it. A lot of people who don't listen to the Devin Townsend stuff or see Devin Townsend live don't know what a ****ing shredding guitarist he is. He has some wicked leads where we go, 'Jesus, what the hell was that thing?' We watched him write it. He was tracking, said 'Gimme a second,' sat down for like 20 minutes and pulled out these wicked licks and all of us were just standing around with jaws hitting the floor. 'Yeah, right, Dev, cool, good!' We were just really inspired, it sounds chaotic, it sounds hateful, it sounds aggressive, and that's the way we were feeling!"
                  Pearl MCX | Mapex Black Panther | Sabian | ICON | Eliminators |

Currently drumming for:
                  Tristan McIntosh (Country: American Idol Finalist)

Comment

maybe he plays a session because he likes having 2.3 mm hoops and saving some money?
                    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...-and-Zildjians

Comment

Originally posted by ****_grayson
                      Richard Christy used to use an SRX when he played in Death. I remember thinking the same thing about the master for him too. Maybe it's a sound thing? (although, I'd hope not.....for Pearl's sake)
                      No way... What kind of snare did he have!? I love his snare sound.
                      ------->My SMX in Marine Blue Fade <-------

Find me on this server as LMAOSUINE:

67.164.46.147:27015

Comment

Originally posted by MOUS
                        No way... What kind of snare did he have!? I love his snare sound.
                        yeah, his snare did sound killer, definately a big metal snare of some sort, at least thats what it sounded like to me. i have the live in la dvd, i rememeber his set bein a pearl kit, but i dont remember his snare, i need to watch it again cause now im curious.

Comment

That kit looks like the 2003 series SRX with the all Maple shells in Carbon Mist. The snare he uses is an old 8x14 Pearl Brass Free Floater. Killer sounding drum.

Comment

I remember before this kit, he used a late 80's Export kit for more than 10 years. Just proves you don't need a $5000 drumkit to sound good.
                            My Music

equipment list

If anyone has a 20" (any depth) Ocean Sparkle Masters kick and wants to trade for an 18x22 BRX, please PM me

Comment

Originally posted by ****_grayson
                              richard is awesome. didn't know he played pearl.

Comment

Working...
                              X