SRX/Remo Pinstripes+Emperors??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRX/Remo Pinstripes+Emperors??

Hello Drum Friends, Im expecting my SRX kit to arrive in about a month.....being new to SRX drums i have a question or 2 about head selection. On SRX drums, What do the pin stripes and emperors sound like.....what differences are between the 2? which do you use , or which would you use? and why would you use them? Thanks for your help!! Drum On!!!
    Pearl Masters MMX--Midnight Fade

Sabian Cymbals--

You might actually be surprised at how good the stock heads sound. They are about equal weight to a pinstripe or emperor. I switched the heads to pinstripes right away because I thought the stock heads would suck, but I was pretty impressed.

The problem with the pinstripes is that once the heads become a little worn, they sound flat and are hard to tune. Its the felt or whatever that stuff is at the edge of the head. I switched to emperors since they don't have that stuff on the edge and I love it. The toms sound awesome.

Comment

Hey JMaxey79,

PinStripe and Emperor are both double ply heads. They are more durable than the single ply standard heads.
      The difference is that the PinStripe has an internal muffling ring on the outer diameter. Therefor they sound less open and have less ring.
      I've got PinStripes right now, but I'm looking to change them to Emperors one of these days.

Greetings.
      And now for something completely different.

Comment

I use pinstripes on all of my drums execept snare which i have emperor coated and bass which i have my old skin that came with the set, it sounds good though.

Comment

The ProTone heads that come stock are worth trying they’re kind of between a Pinstripe and a Emperor I used them on my MRX kit and they sounded great tuned around mid range in pitch. The sound of the SRX is very close to MRX however because the SRX has triple flanged hoops it’s more open with sustain. The great thing about pinstripes is if you like to tune low they’re very forgiving and won’t buzz if it’s not dialed in 100%.

Heck I’m sure there are lots of hit records out there that were recorded with them. Check out some single ply coated too – they tune easy and have a little more sustain.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks everybody for the informative answers. They were really helpful. I will try the protone heads on the drums....who knows....those might give the best sound for these drums.

Sabian Cymbals--

Comment

Quote from Raymond Massey.Below.
              "The sound of the SRX is very close to MRX however because the SRX has triple flanged hoops it’s more open with sustain." What is triple flanged hoops?

Sabian Cymbals--

Comment

Hoops

Triple flanged is one of about three kinds of hoops. Pearl makes die-cast, Super Hoop and triple flanged. Triple flange is like taking a few sheets of metal and smashing them together and pressing them with a machine press to form the hoop. Super Hoop is very similar to that except that, the hoop is a little more substantial than triple flange. Die-Cast hoops are made by taking the liquid metal and pouring them into dies to form the hoop.
                I've taken a listen to the differences between these on a snare that my drum teacher showed to me. The Die-Cast is a brighter sound and is generally a tighter sound. I would compare it as three pieces of metal bolted together to three pieces of metal welded together. The weld seems a bit more sturdy and it acts like one piece, more so than the three that are bolted. The super hoops is somewhere in between that. It was a tighter sound but was also a bit more open than the Die-Cast. This was especially aparent on the snare where my drum teacher was playing rim shots with both of them. A much wider tone range with the die-cast.
                As a previous poster said they, triple flange are a bit more open. All masters drums come with Die-Cast and SRX don't. Obviously you can buy Die-Cast rims and put them on your SRX after you purchase them but I suppose that's a bit off the subjuct. Difference in rims is nice to know for you drumming repitoire, listen to them to find out even more.

Mike
                Dead Air

Let me if you hear of Thursday coming within 200 miles of Cleveland

Comment

Triple Flange refers to the number on bends in the hoop; it is the same as the SuperHoop or our SuperHoopII. The first bend is on the top, second is where it holds the head and third is where the tension rod goes.

Our SuperHoop II is made from a single piece of steel that is bent and as MMBosstonesDA stated die-cast is cast from an alloy in molds.

I think he was referring to the single flange hoops that are more like a round steel band that you have to use claws with the tension rods to grip to hoop in order to apply tension.

Comment

Also, the regular triple-flanged hoops like on the export and below are 1.6 mm in thickness. The Superhoop is 2 mm (I think), and Superhoop II is 2.3mm in thickness. Not sure what die-cast are, but they're pretty thick.

Comment

What about Aquarian heads such as Response 2 or Studio X, how do they sound on Session Custom, or Evans G2?

Comment

I ordered Pinstripes whit my kit because I thought the factory heads would suck. But I was very suprised at how well the ProTone heads sounded. Right now I use pinstripes, but I need a brighter sound with more attack, so I'm going to use an Emporer/Ambassador (clear) combo next. The Pinstripes are the same thing as the Emporers except the Pinstripes hae 'Muffiling Agent' in them to cut resonance. Therefore, pinstripes have a little less resonance, ringing, and are a bit lower-pitched.
                        http://209.25.203.234/attachment.php?s=&postid=360342

Comment

i use the pro tones they r amazing. but on the snare i use a remo ambassedor. the pro tone on the snare is crap, but the rest rule.
                          I Am Canadian

Comment

Working...
                          X