New just-discontinued SSC's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New just-discontinued SSC's!

After getting my Masters BCX glitter kit (12/13/16/22) and loving that, I felt like I should get a 20" bass drum for it so on a 2-up set-up, my rack toms wouldn't be so high to this 5' 00" drummer.

I did find a matching 20x16 BCX, but then thought with some of the blow-out prices I've been seeing for the now discontinued SSC kits, why not just get a whole 'other kit?

So I did! 10x7/12x8/14x14/16x16/20x16 and a matching 6.5" snare.

My playing has gotten much easier, so this kit will be my fusion-y recording/Vinnie/Gadd kit, and my Masters kit will be my 4-piece rock n roll kit. Best of both worlds. Problem solved!

I was at the NAMM show when the SSC debuted a few years ago and as a new Pearl artist then, was thinking about getting a set then, but I fell to the lure of the Reference Pure (mainly because I could). I love Pearl's high-end stuff, but for some reason having these and the discontinued Masters, I feel the bang for buck ratio is better. The fit and finish on both is outstanding and they sound great (although the SSC's got new Evans heads right out of the box - those Remo UT heads are just not up to snuff). And it was really nice I was able to get a 16x16 SSC floor tom rather than settle for the stock 16x14 - my head is tuned to the 16x16 more than anything else.
    Attached Files
    Matt 'Bo' Eder
    Pearl Artist - Pearl Masters BCX drums in golden bronze glitter

Nice kit Bo! Your last video was great, but I want to hear you play these! 20" kicks are great. Mine are 20x17, which works great with the shallow toms, very comfy for sure!

Click image for larger version

Name:	newvideoscreenshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	5210874

Comment

Originally posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
      Nice kit Bo! Your last video was great, but I want to hear you play these! 20" kicks are great. Mine are 20x17, which works great with the shallow toms, very comfy for sure!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]510578[/ATTACH]
      Thanks! I am digging the comfort after forcing myself to stretch and play things slightly out of reach. I'm working on a video soon. With these Evans heads, which I've never used before, these drums sound fantastic!

BTW - is that your wedding kit pictured?
      Matt 'Bo' Eder

Comment

Originally posted by bo eder View Post
        Thanks! I am digging the comfort after forcing myself to stretch and play things slightly out of reach. I'm working on a video soon. With these Evans heads, which I've never used before, these drums sound fantastic!

BTW - is that your wedding kit pictured?
        No, the wedding kit is larger. This is my Mardi Gras street kit

Seriously, give the Evans heads a chance. The Evans kick drum heads made my 20's sound 10 times better than Remo heads. They fit better, and automatically start off with a lower fundamental note, when tuning just past wrinkle.

Comment

Great looking kit Bo and that color really stands out very nicely!

Comment

Look forward to hearing you play your Tama's Matt! Any video's soon?

Comment

Originally posted by TMdrums View Post
              Look forward to hearing you play your Tama's Matt! Any video's soon?
              Yes, coming soon TM. If you go to my YouTube channel and subscribe, you'll get emails when I upload the videos. I have one video coming up with music, and a drums only (to hear the drums better).

Comment

Will do. Thanks!

Comment

Good move with getting the whole SSC kit. It's probably not that far off price wise from a single masters kick. 20" kicks have a unique voice. I think you're gonna love it.

I'm over 6' tall and have crazy long monkey arms, so I am perfectly at home playing the largest kick holding the largest rack tom. Guess what? I still gig with a smaller kit. It just makes life easier.

Comment

No, the wedding kit is larger. This is my Mardi Gras street kit

Seriously, give the Evans heads a chance. The Evans kick drum heads made my 20's sound 10 times better than Remo heads. They fit better, and automatically start off with a lower fundamental note, when tuning just past wrinkle.
                    Not too long ago I would have dismissed this as Evans rhetoric but a recent head change has made a believer out of me. I could not get my 14” floor tom to go as low as I wanted with a coated vintage emperor. I had some older clear G2s laying around, figured I’d give them a shot, and there was the deeper tone I was going for. The Evans 360 heads do seem to tune lower than remos on my drums; my 12-14-20 kit sounds bigger and fatter after the head swap.

Comment

Originally posted by gish View Post
                      Not too long ago I would have dismissed this as Evans rhetoric but a recent head change has made a believer out of me. I could not get my 14” floor tom to go as low as I wanted with a coated vintage emperor. I had some older clear G2s laying around, figured I’d give them a shot, and there was the deeper tone I was going for. The Evans 360 heads do seem to tune lower than remos on my drums; my 12-14-20 kit sounds bigger and fatter after the head swap.
                      Remo heads work fine, as long as they fit the drum they're being installed on. The problem is, sometimes the Remo head will be too small, and the Mylar won't sit flat on the bearing edge. That's when you know the drum will not sound as good as it could sound with a properly-fitting head.

Comment

Remo heads work fine, as long as they fit the drum they're being installed on. The problem is, sometimes the Remo head will be too small, and the Mylar won't sit flat on the bearing edge. That's when you know the drum will not sound as good as it could sound with a properly-fitting head.
                        I hear you. I’ve used both Remo and Evans for years, switching it up from time to time. I was happy with both, and would buy whatever was cheaper or on sale. Never bought into the Remo vs Evans argument. I switched to smaller drums several months back; was pleased with the kit except for the floor tom. I may yet get a 16” for this kit, but for now a $14 G2 has solved that issue. All I know is I could not get these smaller drums to sound this low and fat with the remo heads I had on previously . If you’re looking to maximize low end from a smaller sized kit I really feel that the Evans 360 heads are the best option.
                        Last edited by gish; 07-29-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gish View Post
                          I hear you. I’ve used both Remo and Evans for years, switching it up from time to time. I was happy with both, and would buy whatever was cheaper or on sale. Never bought into the Remo vs Evans argument. I switched to smaller drums several months back; was pleased with the kit except for the floor tom. I may yet get a 16” for this kit, but for now a $14” G2 has solved that issue. If you’re looking to maximize low end from a smaller sized kit I really feel that the Evans 360 heads are the best option.
                          I also never bought into the Remo v Evans argument, I will say I’m tempted to try Evans on my Masters BCX kit as well. I’ve just noted some quality control issues with Remo Emperors and may need to make the switch for consistencies sake. It’s expensive getting a bum head that you can’t return after you’ve tried to make it work.
                          Matt 'Bo' Eder

Comment

Working...
                          X