how are session shells made ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how are session shells made ??

i was just curios about exactly how the ssc shells are composed ..

im well aware they are birch/kapur shells and they are 6 ply ..., `but how are those those plies laid out ,,,are they mixed like: 1ply, birch..ply kapur ,over and over ..or is the outer shell birch , with a kapur core ? if anyone knows , lemme here from you ,

thanks

I'm guessing the outer plies are birch for finishing purposes (kapur is a pretty dark wood). The inside of the Session shells are light, so I'm pretty sure those are also birch plies. So it's probably 2 ply birch --- 2 ply kapur --- 2 ply birch making up the 6 ply 7.5 mm shell.
    Masterworks Finish Ideas Thread

Masterworks Finish Ideas Album

Comment

It is funny, I always thought Sessions were simply Masters drums that had a lesser grade Maple outer ply and not the highest end hardware.
      But I think those were the original Sessions. As the products evolved, I am sure as 2 basses has said, there is now a wood called Kapur in the mix.

Pardon me, but now I am curious now too about all the details of the Session lineup. Shell composition, hardware etc.

I am also seeing that it seems since 2basses mentioned Birch that the Sessions Studio is much like the old Masters Studios where that was the designation that denoted Birch drums.

BTW, As I am old school, I sure would love to pick up either a 6 ply Masters Studio kit or a 6 ply MRX kit to go with my emerald Fade kit.
      Last edited by chilipeppermaniac; 02-14-2017, 08:53 AM.
      Emerald Fade MMX kit: 22x18 10x8,12x9,14x11,14x12,16x16,6.5x14 snare or 6x14 Black Nickel Hammered Pearl Sensitone
      1964 Blue Glass glitter Rogers Cleveland Era Holiday drums
      8x12, 16x16, 14x20, 5x14 Powertone Snare

Comment

I have a single Pearl Session 14" tom. It sings like angels.

Comment

Nothing wrong with kapur wood.

Yamaha made a line strictly with Kapur called the club custom a few years back. It is DC'd now but they sounded incredible.

It has similar to properties to the mahogany family of woods if I remember correctly.

Comment

straight from Pearl Product page description of SSC

"The nucleus of the Session Studio Classic sound, warm resonant Kapur surrounded by the brightness of Birch finished with a perfect 45 Degree bearing edge."

In laymens terms it's Birch interior/exterior with a Kapur core
            Originally posted by 2 basses4life View Post
            i was just curios about exactly how the ssc shells are composed ..

im well aware they are birch/kapur shells and they are 6 ply ..., `but how are those those plies laid out ,,,are they mixed like: 1ply, birch..ply kapur ,over and over ..or is the outer shell birch , with a kapur core ? if anyone knows , lemme here from you ,

thanks
            Last edited by BadAstronaut; 02-15-2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

correct
              Originally posted by Silver View Post
              I'm guessing the outer plies are birch for finishing purposes (kapur is a pretty dark wood). The inside of the Session shells are light, so I'm pretty sure those are also birch plies. So it's probably 2 ply birch --- 2 ply kapur --- 2 ply birch making up the 6 ply 7.5 mm shell.

Comment

you're talking about the MAPLE Sessions (SRX/SMX) ... the SSC 's are a tribute to the original Sessions from early 90's that used luan Mahogany and Birch shells ... the SSC's replaced Phillipine mahogany with Kapur

From Pearl product page on SSC "The Session Studio Classic follows the original Session "recipe" with blended Birch and Kapur shells, recreating the classic "Session sound" of strong attack and projection with outstanding lows and punch that you can feel. The reinvented SSC are finished in the same gorgeous high-gloss "31 step" lacquer finishes that are featured on Masters, Reference and Masterworks. Choose from six dazzling stocking finishes including Piano Black, Sequoia Red, Sheer Blue, Antique Ivory, and Matte Amber Liquid.

The interior ply on Masters maple were used on exterior ply of Maple Sessions while the rest of shell was lesser grade Maple .. has nothing to do with quality just cosmetics of wood

Originally posted by chilipeppermaniac View Post
                It is funny, I always thought Sessions were simply Masters drums that had a lesser grade Maple outer ply and not the highest end hardware.
                But I think those were the original Sessions. As the products evolved, I am sure as 2 basses has said, there is now a wood called Kapur in the mix.

Pardon me, but now I am curious now too about all the details of the Session lineup. Shell composition, hardware etc.

I am also seeing that it seems since 2basses mentioned Birch that the Sessions Studio is much like the old Masters Studios where that was the designation that denoted Birch drums.

BTW, As I am old school, I sure would love to pick up either a 6 ply Masters Studio kit or a 6 ply MRX kit to go with my emerald Fade kit.
                Last edited by BadAstronaut; 02-15-2017, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I wish pearl could/would open the gate for some new finishes..... I would like to see some nice wraps as an option. .. as long as there applied to shell nicely
                  sigpic
                  When you drop a drum putting it into the case!!

Comment

If you look take the batter head off of the drum and look down at the ply configuration you should be able to tell the sequence of how they place the wood. Here is an example: This is a Pearl Masters Premium BRP ply config. Now, years ago I asked Gene Okamoto what birch woods were used in the older masters MBX series that I have and he said it was Scandanavian birch (lighter colored birch) and Hokkaido birch (darker colored birch) from northern japan. Not sure if that is still what is used today but you can tell there is a lighter birch and a darker birch in this photo. I thought maybe I read somewhere that the lighter birch that they use now is North American birch. Someone from Pearl would have to confirm.

Anyway, you can see from the picture that the inner ply is the lighter North American birch (0.9 mm thickness each), then there are two plies of darker Japanese birch (1.6 mm each), then 1 ply of North American birch, then 1 ply of Japanese birch and it's very hard to see but the outermost ply is north american birch. Altogether making up there 7.5 mm Legacy shells they have been building for years.

Kapur wood should be darker than the birch used in the SSC kit and I wouldn't be surprised if the ply layup was the same as the masters kit where the japanese birch is just replaced with Kapur on the SSC. Check it out.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    Pearl Masters Premium BRP UPDATED
                    Masters Studio MBX Make Over-Emerald Mist
                    The Masters Army

Comment

here's pic of an SSC tom .. Birch interior/exterior with Kapur core
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here are my 8" & 13" SSC toms
                        Attached Files
                        Pearl Sheer Blue SSCs

Pearl Chrome EX Exports

Comment

Originally posted by PDeGroff View Post
                          Here are my 8" & 13" SSC toms
                          Definitely looks different than the Masters layup thanks for sharing. You can see the Kapur is darker for sure.
                          sigpic
                          Pearl Masters Premium BRP UPDATED
                          Masters Studio MBX Make Over-Emerald Mist
                          The Masters Army

Comment

well that answers that ...

thanks pdegroff thats a lovely kit you got there..
                            okay, so ...heres another question ...do you think, if you had drum that was say .........birch /mahogany , like the old yamahas... that it would have similar characteristics in sound ?? there an old Yamaha at my local shop and ,i gotta say , they sound pretty awesome . and i am NOT a yamaha fan ..lol ..i guess im wondering if the kapur core , would sound similar to the mahogony core ....

Comment

I bet if you took an Session drum a Yamaha drum a Ludwig maple and a reference pure drum etc etc... headed them up nice and tuned them up correctly. There would not be a nickels with of difference... a good well built drum with high quality wood with nice edges will sound great. And you can change those depending on the vast head choices.
                              sigpic
                              When you drop a drum putting it into the case!!

Comment

Working...
                              X