Sessions: Select vs. Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sessions: Select vs. Custom

I'm bored. Someone post something. I have Selects, which are maple AND mahogany. What's your pref?

peas n greas.
    "I'm not even supposed to be here today..."

Yeah, I have that same wood type. '99 Prestige Session Select. I've heard some of the newer all-maple sessions, but they seemed kinda cold compared to mine. Not as much character, but definitely still a kick *** set!

Comment

Select here as well. 99 or 00 in wine red 6 peice 10/12/14/16/22.

Coincidently, does anyone know if there were 8" toms made in this series? I'd be interested in getting one if so.
      Racine

Comment

mine are teal, not sure what they called the color. i think mine are 00's, may be 99's. i think i can look them up by the serial number.

i BELIEVE they made all sizes of them, but i'm not sure. my kit came standard with the 10 as a power tom (10x10), with standard 12 and 14.... while i believe some selects came with 10x8 instead. i remember them making the full line in the same wood, but i have CRS so i may be wrong....

Comment

Session Select here, in wine red. (16 x 22, 12, 13, & 16 toms) I think it may be a '00, but, would like to know if anyone can tell by the serial numbers what year the drums were made.

Comment

ditto... i'm not sure the year of my srx's either

Comment

'97 SRX Maple-Mahogany-Maple Wine Red
              7 ply 7.5mm 10/12/14/16/22 - love 'em
              I haven't heard them side by side but
              I think I'm getting a little more warmth
              and depth vs. the all maple sessions.
              One thing I noticed right off when the
              all maple SRX came out was that the
              BD had 8 lugs vs. 10 on the older kits.
              I wondered why, cost or resonance?
              Peace is very much more
              than the absence of war.

Comment

i remember playing this guys select kit a few years ago... the kick drum was deep and punchy as hell, i believe it was a 16" x 22". anyway they are both good kits, but i prefer a kit made of one wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Skinner
                  Session Select here, in wine red. (16 x 22, 12, 13, & 16 toms) I think it may be a '00, but, would like to know if anyone can tell by the serial numbers what year the drums were made.
                  Good question for Hook or Gene?? dunno
                  I play, therefore I am a Percussionist :cool:

Comment

Am I the only one who uses that 6-Ply maple shell?
                    http://209.25.203.234/attachment.php?s=&postid=360342

Comment

Originally posted by fred

Good question for Hook or Gene?? dunno
                      I got same setup as Richard Skinner but mine is a Prestige..got in '97 maple/mahogany mix. You would think that they can tell models by serial#'s? Like to get someone at Pearl to answer?
                      I play, therefore I am a Percussionist :cool:

Comment

I gotta say, even though Pearl was supposedly using Luan mahogany and maple on the Selects, those drums had some secret ingredient that I am not aware of. I was always astounded when I played on those kits, even compared to the all maple.

Comment

Lauan is actually a nice bassy sounding wood when constructed in a good shell like the older SRX's.

I have played those drums a few times and can attest to their "magical" tone.

Comment

Better late than never

When I accumulated my wine red sessions via Ebay, piece by piece, I ended up with a mix. I got a 10x12 in maple/mahogany/maple, a couple months later got a 16x22 bass & 8x10 tom in the earlier mahogany with outer layer of birch. A week later I picked up a matching 12 (or 11) x14 from the same guy. The 12 matched the rest VERY well. Finally got a 14x16 maple/mahogany/maple a year later but the wine red is much darker, VERY noticable when stacked BUT luckily when rack mounted just looks like it's in the shade. All the toms came with ISS which I swapped out with Optimounts.

Granted they are different sizes but with the same heads, they tune up well together. I couldn't say this is maple, this is birch mix IF I didn't know beforehand. Bottom line, IMHO the mahogany dominates the sound of the wood.

weps
                            Pearl Masters piano black: MRX 8x8, 10x8, 12x8, MMX 15x14, 18x16, MRX 20x16 bass
                            Snares: 14x5 Blacrolite w/S-hoop, 14x5 SX jazz special pimped w/Mastercast.
                            Cymbals: ALL PAISTE: 3000 heavy hats, Signature 16", 18" fast crash, 17" mellow crash, 20" heavy dry ride, 18" thin China

Comment

I have a set of Prestige Session Select in Emerald Mist. Mine are 1999s and I wouldn't trade them for the new ones if you paid me. The original set was 10, 12, 14 toms with a 20 bass. Since then I've added an 8 tom and a 16 floor tom. You can still get add ons if you look around. Matching the color is the hardest part because some of them have been discontinued. I got the floor tom brand new about a month ago but it took them awhile to find the color. I also replaced the ISS mounts with OptiMounts and this weekend I'm replacing the Super Hoops with MasterCasts.
                              My wife and I were happy for 20 years, then we met.

Comment

Working...
                              X