Yamaha Oak Custom versus Sessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Oak Custom versus Sessions

I went to the local drum store and tried both out and I actually liked the Yamaha's a little better, and they're of similar price. I'd like people's opinions on which one you think is a better buy. I'm playing almost every style of music imaginable (no death metal for me, though) if that helps any.

I was also looking at conaway drums, they're much cheaper and seem to be of good quality. Any opinions on those would be great too.

thanks
    Last edited by Ambion; 02-09-2003, 04:35 PM.
    Marriage is a human right, not a heterosexual privilege.

My bright yellow round things that make noise

I never heard any complaints about Conaway Drums. the forum I used to go to had quite a few Conaway owners and they really liked the drums. The only bad thing about Conaway is the low resale value. not many have heard of Conaway, so you might not get as much for your drums, but they'd be a custom set, soyou probably wouldnt want to get rid of them.(any time soon at least)

On the other hand, Pearl makes outstanding drums, and im sure the Sessions are no exception, and Yamaha's are great also.

If I was going to invest that kind of money, I would get some Conaways...good quality custom drums for cheap! But thats jut my 2 cents.
    My self-built bebop kit, natural finish.

I am trying to rid from my life all that I can do without, including drum gear.
    I am selling:
    Sabian 17" AA Metal-X Crash
    Sabian 18" AA Heavy Ride
    Sabian 14" B8Pro Medium Hihats
    Zildjian 18" Oriental China Trash

Please PM if interested.

Comment

Hey thanks, what forum was this? I'd like to get their opinions.

thanks

Comment

Well, I've never heard the Oak customs. I'd be curious to hear people's input, but I definitely don't like the way they look. Oak looks much better on my kitchen cabinets than on drums. I prefer the tighter grain patters of maple and birch. Also Oak is a very naturally orange wood, so colors don't look very good on them. I'm sure the quality is fine though.

Comment

The forum is at www.harmony-central.com

Here is a link for some threads about Conaway drums.

They wont let you register if you've got hotmail. I used to have Earthlink, and I registered a name using that e-mail, but then we got rid of Earthlink, and I lost my password, so I joined this wonderful forum!!

Good luck.
          My self-built bebop kit, natural finish.

I am trying to rid from my life all that I can do without, including drum gear.
          I am selling:
          Sabian 17" AA Metal-X Crash
          Sabian 18" AA Heavy Ride
          Sabian 14" B8Pro Medium Hihats
          Zildjian 18" Oriental China Trash

Please PM if interested.

Comment

thanks. That forum seemed pretty against conaways for the most part. I'm really leaning towards the Oak's, its just too bad they're about 1000 dollars more than the conaways. I'll do some more research

Comment

Drum! magazine recently ran a pretty favourable review of the Oak Customs so it might be worth checking that one out. Not sure which issue it is, living in Australia we tend to get US Drum magazines whenever the last issue has sold off the shelves... and that can be at least a month later. Maybe check their website (www.drummagazine.com) to see if they've got the review posted up there. I have seen one set in store with what appeared to be a natural oak finish, quite nice but not really my thing. I really don't know how they'd go with a stain or finish applied, I agree with Tabla_man, the wood is a little too orange.
              Musician, Australian Army
              Pearl MLX 22 12/13/16F
              Pearl SRX 20 10/12/14F/16F

Comment

oak's

again, Yamaha make's great sounding drums!!! But until they develop a better isolation system for the toms than the useless YESS mounts, you can probally get more bang for the buck w/ a Pearl, DW, Tama, Sonar kit. Besides, so what if a kit is really LOUD? If your in that type of situation, you'll be micing your kit anyways! Plus, I really doubt your bandmates really want the drummer to be more louder than you already are.
                Good luck shopping for a new kit. I currently love my DW collectors in maplen and my Pearl Masters in birch is probally the best soung kit out there for the money!!!!!!!!!!
                dutchboy

Comment

thanks. the volume isn't why I'm buying it, the price is. Plus I loved how it sounded, and I think it sounded better than the recording custom that I also tried out. Thanks for the opinions.

Comment

u say u play pretty much every type of music there is, so im thinking a maple drums would prob do u best. whether its a session, starclassic, or whatever, thatll prob be the best decision.
                    End of post...scroll up and re-read.

Comment

well....

The yamaha Y.E.S.S. mounts are far from useless. What people don't understand is that it is more important for the mount to not bother the rim, than it is for it to not bother the shell. Plus, the yamaha system is very useful as it allows the drum to resonate well because it is much more of a suspension system.

I do not like anything but the Y.E.S.S. system, the RIMS system (because they distribute pressure around the entire rim, so it is like there is none at all), and the system DW uses. I don't really like any of pearl's suspension systems (sorry guys). Maybe the optimount, but I don't like the I.S.S. at all, because it puts way too much pressure on only a tiny part of the rim, meaning that part of the rim is going to loosen up much more. I am still look into the tama suspension system, but it looks like it might be okay since it distributes the weight.

well, I am obviously babbling on about my personally preferance. To tell the truth, I don't mind drums with no suspension system, but the I.S.S. system is almost just making it worse.

Mark and the Lucky Numbers
                      If you've ever pushed on a door that said pull, copy this into your signature

Comment

thanks. I'm actually also looking at some yamaha birch absolute kits but I'd have to make my kit smaller to accomodate the higher price. Who knows. Thanks for the help all

Comment

i played a yamaha oak in guitar center a while ago and i didnt really like it. too bright and ringy for my taste but with some damping it would sound great. i would personaly go with maple or birch.

Comment

Working...
                          X