No announcement yet.

Sess or masters...THE OFFICIAL REVIEW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, if I were choosing, I would go with the Masters.
    None of the sessions finishes really jump out at me much, but even so, some would be better with different colored hardware.
    For me, purchasing drums is 50% what i'm looking for in sound, and 50% aestetic value.
    I would drop more coin for a masters, because I can get it in the finish that I love (Diamond Burst w/ Satin). Plus the hoops are an added bonus, because I prefer the focused sound than a long sustain which I would probably muffle anyways.

Still, different strokes for different folks.
    14"x6.5" PEARL BRASS F/F FOR SALE
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150433865236

PEARL ELIMINATORS - PM ME
    26" TAMA STARCLASSIC KICK - PM ME
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1182

Comment

Originally posted by dsg2003gt
      another thing, is the masters are available in more sizes. esp the kicks.
      I belive that's been mentioned as well.
      Studio engineer. Drum tech. Drummer.
      http://www.topfloorstudios.se
      http://www.facebook.com/topfloorstudios

Comment

This should maybe be stickied so it doesn't get lost? If I was torn between a Session and a Masters, that would be a really helpful read.
        Studio

Originally posted by Tay
        I can now officially say you have one of the best Sessions on the Forum...
        SMX

Comment

Originally posted by Hoff-Man_BMX
          None of the sessions finishes really jump out at me much, but even so, some would be better with different colored hardware.
          For me, purchasing drums is 50% what i'm looking for in sound, and 50% aestetic value.
          I would drop more coin for a masters, because I can get it in the finish that I love (Diamond Burst w/ Satin). Plus the hoops are an added bonus, because I prefer the focused sound than a long sustain which I would probably muffle anyways.

This is why my Session is being returned when my masters gets here. I like Birch better, but I dont care for the Birch finishes on the session. I went for the SMX, but I got a real good deal on the masters so I decided to go with that because the finishes really stand out and because once again...I like birch better.
          Zildjian K, A custom
          Masters BRX in Diamond Burst received 10-29. 2x22 then 8-10-12-14-16-18.
          switching to Sabian HH and HHX on the masters :cool:

Comment

^^yeah, the finishes on the masters series are so much prettier than those on the sessions. especially mine, platinum mist. man that's a gorgeous finish. and another thing: everybody is really villainizing the mastercast hoops but they make the toms so easy to tune, and there is already plenty of resonance with my brx and ambassadors, and this is coming out of birch, the wood with the "natural eq." think about around 15 years ago. drum companies were coming up with all these crazy contraptions to make the toms be able to resonate as much as possible, some of which still continue to be pursued. the thing is, too much resonance will just wind up either getting muted by the pinstripes you put on or it will go untouched and your drums will sound extremely muddy during your tom solos both live and in studio. resonance isn't all its cracked up to be, and neither are the superhoops
            7-Piece Double Bass BRX!
            The critics are raving: "Pure hotness. One of the nicest kits on here."-Fran, "F*ckin Beautiful"-NevDRUM, "Amazing!!! HOLY SHINIKES!"-rushofblood2112, "Gorgeous kit and setup"-DeadSkinMask, "Beautiful!"-drmrman, "absolutely awesome!"-AL PERCIVAL

Comment

The Masters finishes are beautiful, I totally agree on the Platinum Mist, I actually owned an MMX in that finish. But the Sessions are very priceworthy, and some actually prefer the sound of flanged hoops. So it all comes down to personal choice, and of course there are drummers preferring the Sessions in some situations.
              Studio engineer. Drum tech. Drummer.
              http://www.topfloorstudios.se
              http://www.facebook.com/topfloorstudios

Comment

Originally posted by Jake
                The lugs on Sessions and masters are the same nowadays.
                Almost, they are both bridge style. The Masters lugs have a brass threaded insert and a much smoother look to them. I prefer the look of the older Session lugs (which looked more similar to the Masters).
                My toys Yamaha Absolute Birch in Sea Blue

Comment

How much was the snare, I have only been able to find them in 14''?
                  Zildjian K, A custom
                  Masters BRX in Diamond Burst received 10-29. 2x22 then 8-10-12-14-16-18.
                  switching to Sabian HH and HHX on the masters :cool:

Comment

thanks man

Comment

Great review, except for the fact that he said that Sessions WEREN'T Pro drums. Sessions are freaking professional drums! **$
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by sketterman
                      I guess the Emo guys hit the cymbals real hard because they hate their dads or something.
                      MySpace

Facebook

Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Hoff-Man_BMX

ahahahaha the Session finishes are so much better than the Masters.

Comment

Working...
                        X