No announcement yet.

SMX almost as nice sounding as Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got sent stainless steel tension rods with my SMX anyway, was a nice surprise. Tension rods are cheap as hell if you want to upgrade anyway. It still basically stands that you can buy a Session and upgrade all the hardware for less than you can buy a Masters. The only real difference is that point is the finish, and I couldn't really care less. My SMX in Marine Blue Fade looks amazing, and I prefer it over any Masters finish I've seen. (Can't say the same for Session finishes VS Masterworks finishes, naturally.)

Comment

^ To that point, it all comes down to personal preference. There's no bother arguing about that.
      Originally posted by ConnectiveTissue
      drumm55insane is for the most part, a tool
      Nailed it.

Comment

This debate will rage on and on. There is no question that a Sessions kit is worth every penny, and then some, compared to a Masters. I do believe however, that a Masters kit is worth every penny also. It all boils down to how many pennies you have, and if the extra MAGIC of a Masters kit is something you want. Now, if Pearl would just offer a Sessions kit in a Natural finish.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phips
          This debate will rage on and on. There is no question that a Sessions kit is worth every penny, and then some, compared to a Masters. I do believe however, that a Masters kit is worth every penny also. It all boils down to how many pennies you have, and if the extra MAGIC of a Masters kit is something you want. Now, if Pearl would just offer a Sessions kit in a Natural finish.
          Good post! I believe that Masters are worth every penny too - the reason I bought Sessions actually had to do with justification - I felt I could justfy spending around $1000 for a 4-piece shell pack and I couldn't do that with the Masters - I'm not a good enough player. Yet.
          Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

Comment

I just purchased an MRX in natural finish, and am stoked with it. I was absolutely considering a session, but got a second hand masters shell pack for a great price - a few hundred less than a session without the snare and h/w..

I've played the two side by side, and I prefer the Masters, and that's not just me being a w&*ker because I bought a masters. I was seriously tossing up between the two.

I do notice the diff in the tuning - it seems a lot smoother on the masters, even on a used kit (s/s rods and brass inserts), but maybe it's me. I'm not a super spec-head.

And don't forget the 10 lug B/D.

Natural maple finish..... MMMmmmmmm.... The finish is KILLER, without a mark on it. It has been a working kit too, which is a testament to the quality of the finish. I really like the session finishes (esp Marine Blue Fade, and Blue Burst on SBX), but the finish on the masters is superb.

And don't forget the matching b/d hoops.

Hoops is a preference thing. Mine sounds fine with the mastercasts... punchy and full, without too much overtone (which the sound men just gate off anyway...).

I'm glad I went with the MRX, but the sessions are still great value. I would say to anyone, if you can afford a new masters, or care to wait around a bit and get offered a good deal on a mint condition, used masters, go that way. Otherwise - Go Session...

But that's just me....

BTW - I'm a Tama convert, too.....

Comment

Curious - what was your prior TAMA kit and why did you convert?
              Radical 1

Comment

It was an old Rockstar DX kit (wrapped silver finish) from my days touring in a "hair metal' band. It was well battered about and the wrap is starting to lift etc. We were playing hard rock in clubs etc, and I used to trigger a bit, so the sweetness of the sound wasn't so much of a priority. I used (and still use) a pearl Custom Z (CZX maple snare), for the big snare sound. I hired kits to record in the past.

Zildjian cymbals.

Basically, it was time to upgrade. I was considering a starclassic maple, but they are WAY overpriced (in Australia at least) for what you get. I wanted a certain config (10,12,14,16,22) and that was impossible to find 2nd hand and would have cost me the earth new. There was no point buying the Tama S/C performer (birch), or I might as well have bought the pearl session SBX for a lot less $$$.

The MRX sounds SWEEEETTTTT!

I've got a rehearsal tonight, so photo's should be in the masters threads in the next day or 2.

Comment

nice posts rueben, can't wait to see your kit. I love Natural finishes.
                  sigpic

Comment

see my post in masters

pics are in Masters - "bought me an MRX"

Comment

the way my Session masters kit purchase went was like this:
                      I bought the session for $1259, I figured out that I wanted the 8x7 and 16x16 floor tom. Those two items would be about $550 extra. So the total price on the session would have been $1810.

The price for the BRX shell kit I ordered was $1799 plus my extra 2 toms(8x7 and 16x16) for $775. So the total for the BRX for me was only really $765 more than the Session with comparable sizes. IMO the Diamond burst finish is worth it.
                      Zildjian K, A custom
                      Masters BRX in Diamond Burst received 10-29. 2x22 then 8-10-12-14-16-18.
                      switching to Sabian HH and HHX on the masters :cool:

Comment

IMO, the only reason to get a Masters is to get a MHX kit. Just my opinion
                        Turbo Christian
                        Keepin it Chuch!
                        CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY

Comment

well the reason the Session series came around was because Pearl took the most popular Masterworks setup and made it into a line to bridge the gap between Export and Masters. i think it was a good decision, because you go from an $800 set to a $2000 set? but yes, Sessions are amazing, i have an SBX and i absolutely love it. i will never buy another drum set (unless i seriously gig)
                          "sammoth69 (2 hours ago)

Yeah Neil Peart Is awsome nd yeah buddy rich is a ledgend nd yeah mike portney is cool,

But this guy is an awsome drummer hes snare stuff is insane and his blink 182 nd +44 is just so hard to play perfect".
                          ANYONE LOOKING TO SELL CYMBALS, PM ME!

Comment

Working...
                          X