Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’ve been interested in a used Reference kit at a local music store.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would keep the MMX, and at least get the 16 FT fitted for legs. At one time I loved hanging floor toms now I despise them....but hey that's just me.
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16 22X18
    PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks

Comment

Originally posted by killerkick View Post
      I would keep the MMX, and at least get the 16 FT fitted for legs. At one time I loved hanging floor toms now I despise them....but hey that's just me.
      What is it that makes you 'despise' them? I used to despise floor toms. lol But, hey, I am not stubborn, I can be swayed. That's why I'm asking.?

Comment

Also, for the OP, what are the depths of your toms?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogleheimer View Post
          What is it that makes you 'despise' them? I used to despise floor toms. lol But, hey, I am not stubborn, I can be swayed. That's why I'm asking.?
          Maybe despise is a strong word...LOL...I just got soured on them when I bought a used 2010 Gretsch Renown kit that had a 14" and 16" hanging toms, just more unstable, rocky....in a bad way. Now 20 years ago when I had a hanging tom with my MMX kit, it bothered me not!...so there you go
          Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
          8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16 22X18
          PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks

Comment

Maybe one idea for Skeld would be to keep the rack mounts and just add one leg to each of the 2 larger toms?

Comment

Originally posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
              Thx guys for your input. I have decided to just keep what I have for now . Yeah right
              I think you’re making the right decision. It’s not like you’re playing an entry level kit. Your MMX drums are some of the best sounding drums ever produced by any company and you already have them tweaked to your liking. I think I know you well enough to know that if you bought the Reference, you would be looking for a matching snare, which would raise the cost of getting the Reference kit. Then there’s the process of selling your drums. Do you really want to deal with all the CL buyers who want something for nothing. (Rhetorical question)
              Drumming since 1961.
              Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
              Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
              Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

Comment

I'd keep the MMX mainly because I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell my current kit.

Ebay: Great way to sell stuff and fairly safe BUT..... Shipping a kit is cost-prohibitive.

Craigslist: Too many weirdos, crazies and time-wasters.

I wouldn't want to go through all this fuss just to exchange one pro-level kit for another pro-level kit. There's really no huge difference between kits. Not worth the pain.

Comment

no way!
                  K3ith R

Pearl MCX/280 - 8x7,10x8,12x9, 13x9, 14x14,16x16,18x22
                  Zildjian As, Ks, / Vic Firth 5A, Vater Mike Johnston model

Comment

Found this example on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by 2 basses4life View Post
                      seriosly, if you really need floor tom legs look into ludwigs atlas mounts ..no drilling required and if you dont like em ..take em back off , no harm , no foul
                      Can you please Show how exactly those mounts applies on the hanging tom in order to convert it to a floor tom

Thanks

Comment

paul...if ever you get the chance to own a reference kit,don't roll over it. they're in my opinion the best sounding drums pearl has to offer sound wise. they have a very special -dark voice,and they project a ton of volume. you often play un'mick'ed with your different bands,then, i'm convinced that you'd appreciate the power available from those drums.

myself was on the hunt for a full reference kit on the used market when i fell on my starclassic BB kit. while i'm very,very happy with my starclassics BB's, i still keep an eye open for a reference full kit ; since used reference kits aren't commonly seen in the local ads ,chances i could find what i'm looking for are close to zero .
                        sigpicRUSH FOREVER RUSH
                        tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
                        sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

Comment

Isn’t the reference a higher end set

Comment

Reference Ultra Blue Fade at local GC

This Ref kit and matching snare are at GC Brookfield WI. Just passing this on to members, my wife would make funeral arrangements for me if I had any plans of buying this.
                            Last edited by skeld-the-wicked; 11-21-2020, 07:54 AM.
                            Wiscaansin!

Comment

Originally posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
                              This Ref kit and matching snare are at GC Brookfield WI. Just passing this on to members, my wife would make funeral arrangements for me if I had any plans of buying this.
                              Too funny...but sure is a beautiful looking kit!

Comment

Did he ever purchase the kit?

Comment

Working...
                                X