Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’ve been interested in a used Reference kit at a local music store.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve been interested in a used Reference kit at a local music store.

It’s a 5 pc Scarlet Fade 10,12 Rack toms, 14,16 Floor toms and 22 x 18 Kick.
    The situation is I would have to sell my Masters MMX 6 pc .
    My question to to you Ref owners is this worth doing ?
    I have hanging floor toms with my Masters and I have never been a fan of them. The price of the Ref (gulp) is $1,500.00 which to me is unbelievable. The problem is all the scamming lowballers on C/L . It’s on Madison Wi and Chicago C/L. Maybe I’m just dreaming to expect the price I’m asking.
    Attached Files
    Wiscaansin!

I paid $2,000 for my six piece Reference in Piano Black used last year. 8-10-12-14-16-22. I felt I got a decent deal.

Comment

Paul, have you seen pictures? I know you’d rather have toms with legs. You’ve mentioned it in the past, so I know it’s important to you. I know there are deals out there, but too often if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. How far of a drive is it for you to see the kit?
      Drumming since 1961.
      Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
      Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
      Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

Comment

I own a Ref kit. My brother in law has an MMX kit. Both are great Pearl kits indeed but I would never sell an MMX for a Ref. The MMX just has that great maple tone and are revered as some of the best sounding drums of that era. Refs do sound amazing and Pearl still makes them. Tough decision. Have you had a chance to play some Refs in a practice or gig setting?
        "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
        Press briefing. Korea 1950

Comment

It’s 15 miles away . It probably won’t happen anyway due to used kit values. It’s only worth what someone is willing to pay . I would probably regret selling it . I have always wanted a Ref but maybe the timing isn’t right.
          Wiscaansin!

Comment

seriosly, if you really need floor tom legs look into ludwigs atlas mounts ..no drilling required and if you dont like em ..take em back off , no harm , no foul

Comment

The lugs on the drums in the photo do not look like Reference lugs, You probably should investigate further.
              Drum Workshop 6 Piece Collectors Series in Ruby Glass
              Various Snares
              Trick Pro 1V Double Pedal Black Widow Edition
              Motion Pro Throne

Roland TD 50 KV
              Trick Pro 1V Double Pedal Black Widow Edition
              Ahead Spinal Glide Throne

Comment

Originally posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
                It’s 15 miles away . It probably won’t happen anyway due to used kit values. It’s only worth what someone is willing to pay . I would probably regret selling it . I have always wanted a Ref but maybe the timing isn’t right.
                You could always low ball the guy and see how badly he wants to sell the drums. Selling your drums would be a pita and as you know, they are really nice drums.

Originally posted by 2 basses4life View Post
                seriosly, if you really need floor tom legs look into ludwigs atlas mounts ..no drilling required and if you dont like em ..take em back off , no harm , no foul
                The Atlas hardware is very cool and no holes to drill. I’m not a fan of the basket type holders.

Originally posted by Up2Speed View Post
                The lugs on the drums in the photo do not look like Reference lugs, You probably should investigate further.
                That’s because they aren’t. Those are Skeld’s MMX’s. Look closer. The toms have BB3 holders and no legs. They aren’t a fade and definitely not scarlet.
                Drumming since 1961.
                Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
                Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
                Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

Comment

Since you gig quite a bit the Regular Reference are heavy drums to haul. I would want a Reference pure kit to gig
                  Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available
                  session Custom Maple Toms 12x9 Tab Fade
                  Session Custom Maple Tom 13x10

Comment

It’s a 5 pc Scarlet Fade 10,12 Rack toms, 14,16 Floor toms and 22 x 18 Kick.
                    The situation is I would have to sell my Masters MMX 6 pc .
                    My question to to you Ref owners is this worth doing ?
                    I have hanging floor toms with my Masters and I have never been a fan of them. The price of the Ref (gulp) is $1,500.00 which to me is unbelievable. The problem is all the scamming lowballers on C/L . It’s on Madison Wi and Chicago C/L. Maybe I’m just dreaming to expect the price I’m asking.
                    Other than the hanging floor toms, do you like your Masters Paul? If that's the only issue, I can help you get the parts you need for converting the hanging floor toms to traditional floor toms. As 2 basses and Marv said, it won't hurt your drums to convert over, but it will cost a little. I just priced it out... it would cost somewhere between $200 and $350, depending on what floor tom legs you choose, and how well we shop around

Comment

Ref or not?

Thx guys for your input. I have decided to just keep what I have for now . Yeah right
                      Wiscaansin!

Comment

Thx guys for your input. I have decided to just keep what I have for now . Yeah right
                        For what it's worth, a MMX kit is one of the few sets that I would consider selling my Reference kit for. They are just hard drums to beat. (in addition to being hard to find.)

Comment

Yeah, that's one hell of a price for that Reference kit. When something seems too good to be true, it normally is.

Also, I PREFER hanging toms myself. lol Didn't realize I was such a weirdo.

Comment

Thx HPD , that’s reassuring. I know we all have our preferences and that’s fine . I have worked hard to get the gear I have and with the way the used market is I wouldn’t get anywhere near what I put into the MMX kit.
                            Attached Files
                            Wiscaansin!

Comment

Very nice looking kit. What exactly do you not like about hanging toms? Not as stable? Anyway, that doesn't bug me. I'll be ordering a Reference kit with same setup as yours, except, with 14" tom instead of 16". All in Natural Maple #102.

Comment

Working...
                              X