Reference Snare loose screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference Snare loose screws

While playing the other day, my snare went dead. When I turned it over I saw a snare wire was broken and the snares were hanging loose. I then noticed the snare plate was hanging at an angle. I removed the reso head and the snare plate and saw that one of the lugs on the snare plate was sheared off. I'll need to replace the snare wires and the snare plate. When I removed the snare plate I also noticed that the attach screws were loose. I checked the lug screws on the drum and they were all loose. This maybe due to the drying and shrinkage of the wood over the years. I re-tightened all of them, then realized the condition is probably the same for the other drums in the set. Glad I didn't sell my Rogers Dynasonic snare. It will do just fine until my Reference Snare is fixed.
    PEARL Reference Series in Red Glass: 24 x 18 Kicks (2) / 14 x 6.5 wood Snare / 12 x 9, 13 x 10, 14 x 11, 15 x 12 Rack Toms / 16 x 16 & 18 x 16 Floor Toms
    15 cymbals Zildjian and Sabian / Pearl and Tama hardware.

sigpic

Originally posted by johnbe View Post
    While playing the other day, my snare went dead. When I turned it over I saw a snare wire was broken and the snares were hanging loose. I then noticed the snare plate was hanging at an angle. I removed the reso head and the snare plate and saw that one of the lugs on the snare plate was sheared off. I'll need to replace the snare wires and the snare plate. When I removed the snare plate I also noticed that the attach screws were loose. I checked the lug screws on the drum and they were all loose. This maybe due to the drying and shrinkage of the wood over the years. I re-tightened all of them, then realized the condition is probably the same for the other drums in the set. Glad I didn't sell my Rogers Dynasonic snare. It will do just fine until my Reference Snare is fixed.

Think of how often you hit the snare and the viberations also.

I usualy check my snare every time the heads are off... I'll just say DON"T OVER TIGHTEN THEM!! lol. I have seen that before quite a bit too.. oh.. these screws are loose so lets crank em.

Comment

Any snare lugs broken? It has been a historical issue on some older Ref snares.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
      8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
      Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. The cause of the broken snare wire is due to failure of the snare plate. When the lug broke, the snare plate rotated around the remaining lug causing the wire to break because of uneven tension. I don't play with over-tight snares. I prefer the full-bodied sound to the snap and crack of tight snares. The snare wire broke because of a failure of the snare plate. I've been playing for 52 years and have had many snares. Never had a failure like this. As far as the loose screws, I won't crank them tight, just snug, and I'll check them again at the next head change as you suggest.
        PEARL Reference Series in Red Glass: 24 x 18 Kicks (2) / 14 x 6.5 wood Snare / 12 x 9, 13 x 10, 14 x 11, 15 x 12 Rack Toms / 16 x 16 & 18 x 16 Floor Toms

sigpic

Comment

So far just the one lug on the dc-685 snare plate.

sigpic

Comment

Of course, I contacted Pearl to order the parts and was told that any Pearl dealer can order them for me. The Pearl site lists Mills Music as an authorized dealer. The Mills Music stores in my area have been bought out by Music & Arts. I went to the local Music & Arts store and was told that they were not an authorized dealer and couldn't order what I need. Back to square one. Glad I still have my Rogers Dyna-Sonic snare. I've been playing it since 1984 and have never had a problem with it.

sigpic

Comment

Of course, I contacted Pearl to order the parts and was told that any Pearl dealer can order them for me. The Pearl site lists Mills Music as an authorized dealer. The Mills Music stores in my area have been bought out by Music & Arts. I went to the local Music & Arts store and was told that they were not an authorized dealer and couldn't order what I need. Back to square one. Glad I still have my Rogers Dyna-Sonic snare. I've been playing it since 1984 and have never had a problem with it.
              I grew up in Renton. Go to Guitar Center in Southcenter. They can order it.
              I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I live near Lake Desire so it's a short hop down there for me. Going there tomorrow!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I live near Lake Desire so it's a short hop down there for me. Going there tomorrow!
                  I went to a school that was near Lake Desire...MVCS. Drove down Lk Desire Rd daily in my youth. Hope it works out ok for you.
                  I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

Comment

I contacted Pearl about this. They asked for pictures. A few days after I sent them, they sent me an email telling me they were going to send me the replacement parts. Cool!

sigpic

Comment

I love Pearl drums - their customer service is top notch.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
                      6x7 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x16 | 18x14G | 20x14G | 20x16 | 22x18
                      Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
                      Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
                      Tama Octobans

Comment

Happy ending: Pearl stood by their warranty and sent me a new set of snare wires and a new set of strainer parts, both sides. I replaced the broken parts and my Reference Series snare is as good as new again.

sigpic

Comment

happy ending: Pearl stood by their warranty and sent me a new set of snare wires and a new set of strainer parts, both sides. I replaced the broken parts and my reference series snare is as good as new again.
                          !!!!
                          sigpic

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

Comment

I'm a bit late here but happy you are sorted out..

I had an issue with multiple lugs actually snapping on my Reference snare.

Pearl sorted me out and got me new lugs. Sounds like a bad batch were cast a while ago.

The wood shrinking makes sense. I usually check my screws on all my drums when the heads are replaced, just very lightly touch em with a screw driver and if they don't turn don't force em.. It's a good time to run a hand over bearing edges, wipe em down etc.

Pearl is top notch for their service, specifically AL.

Thanks again. It's very rare in this day and age to feel this good about a company and know I am going to be treated right.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                              Any snare lugs broken? It has been a historical issue on some older Ref snares.
                              Nothing broken aside from the lug on the strainer and the snare wire. All back together now like it never happened. Just glad I had another good snare to stand in while the Ref was being fixed. Pearl stood behind their warranty and local music stores couldn't help me. All's good now.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X