Shimmer Of Oz is gone for good. Disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimmer Of Oz is gone for good. Disappointed

Well, disappointed is an understatement. I've had a 10 inch add on for my Ref Pure on order for several months only to learn today that Pearl can no longer produce that color because they are getting their glitter from a new supplier and they can't replicate that color with the new glitter. Right now my kit is 24, 18, 16, 16, 13 plus matching snare. I was planning on adding the 10 and an 8, but I guess I'm stuck with what I've got. There are several SHimmer of Oz toms on eBay but none are Ref Pure and I've never seen an individual Ref Pure drums in that color.

So if you have that color and want to add on you are outta luck...at least new from factory.

If anyone has any leads let me know.

That's a bummer. I wonder if all of their flakes will be coming from different suppliers now, such as the micro flakes used in a lot of their finishes as well as the "halo" flakes used in finishes such as Star Shower and Comet Sparkle.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MWRushR40 View Post
      That's a bummer. I wonder if all of their flakes will be coming from different suppliers now, such as the micro flakes used in a lot of their finishes as well as the "halo" flakes used in finishes such as Star Shower and Comet Sparkle.
      Not sure. I would assume if it is a color that is still in the catalog it's not changing. Shimmer of oz has been out of catalog for over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumbum675 View Post
        Well, disappointed is an understatement. I've had a 10 inch add on for my Ref Pure on order for several months only to learn today that Pearl can no longer produce that color because they are getting their glitter from a new supplier and they can't replicate that color with the new glitter. Right now my kit is 24, 18, 16, 16, 13 plus matching snare. I was planning on adding the 10 and an 8, but I guess I'm stuck with what I've got. There are several SHimmer of Oz toms on eBay but none are Ref Pure and I've never seen an individual Ref Pure drums in that color.

So if you have that color and want to add on you are outta luck...at least new from factory.

If anyone has any leads let me know.
        I can empathize man. Years ago I had Purple Craze tom on order for 4 months until they said the finish was discontinued. Ended up getting one in Purple Craze II which at least is close. Took 9 months overall.

Good luck on the used market, but RFP will be rarer than RF unfortunately.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
        8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
        Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

After speaking with the great people at Pearl, I was told that the "new" Shimmer Of Oz would have different glitter and would not be a perfect match. I decided to go ahead and order a 10 inch tom anyway and hope for the best. Just happens that they had that exact drum in stock so there was no wait. When I received the drum, it was a perfect match to the rest of the kit. I'm planning on ordering an 8 inch as well. So, for the Shimmer Of Oz owners out there, there is still hope.....

Comment

After speaking with the great people at Pearl, I was told that the "new" Shimmer Of Oz would have different glitter and would not be a perfect match. I decided to go ahead and order a 10 inch tom anyway and hope for the best. Just happens that they had that exact drum in stock so there was no wait. When I received the drum, it was a perfect match to the rest of the kit. I'm planning on ordering an 8 inch as well. So, for the Shimmer Of Oz owners out there, there is still hope.....
            Great news, and the smaller the drum the less it's noticed even if the finish is slightly off. So I got an 8 and a 6!

Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Photos!?
              HHX hats, K crashes, Bosphorus traditional & Paiste sound creation dark rides
              Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
              Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / SonorLite (Scandinavian birch)

Comment

yeah, I have a pic, but im on work computer. I'll try and upload it tomorrow.

Comment

Just got caught up on your thread. That is good news! I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
                  6x7 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x16 | 18x14G | 20x14G | 20x16 | 22x18
                  Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
                  Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
                  Tama Octobans

Comment

Originally posted by Yodelling_Sheep View Post
                    Photos!?
                    Second pic (Kind of a dark), but you can see the sparkles are more vibrant.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by AL PERCIVAL; 08-03-2016, 08:12 AM. Reason: typo
                    sigpic

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

Comment

Al,
                      That is what I expected to get after talking with you and Cathy. However, what I received was a perfect match. According to Cathy the new drum was built after the switch, so I'm not sure what is going on. The top is the new 10inch and the bottom is my 13 inch which is about 5 years old. The lighting is not the best and makes them look a little different in this picture, but in real life, they match very well.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Al,
                          That is what I expected to get after talking with you and Cathy. However, what I received was a perfect match. According to Cathy the new drum was built after the switch, so I'm not sure what is going on. The top is the new 10inch and the bottom is my 13 inch which is about 5 years old. The lighting is not the best and makes them look a little different in this picture, but in real life, they match very well.

That's a pretty darn good match! Excellent!
                          sigpic

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

Comment

Buying drums 5 years apart, and expecting a match is a high hope, but Pearl really came through on that one! Congratulations! They are gorgeous!

Comment

This color is still being painted pretty consistent. Just received my 8 inch that I ordered a few months ago and it matches the other newer drums as well as the original kit that is several years old. I was pretty upset when they changed suppliers and said they could no longer match this color, glad that wasn't the case. Last drum I need to complete this kit is a 12 inch tom then the full kit will be: 24, 18, 16, 16, 14x6.5, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Comment

Working...
                              X