Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Crystal Rain

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for Crystal Rain

    I'm seeking a 16 x 13 Tom to complete my kit. I spoke to a Guitar Center Salesman who contacted Pearl and confirmed that the drum could be special ordered with the typical 4 - 6 month wait time and pay when the order is placed. I'm seriously giving it some thought. Would anyone recommend a different shell configuration rather than the standard Reference Maple / Mahogany recipe? Figure if i special order I may as well tweak and make it true custom. All Mahogany perhaps Birch and Mahogany, I wish Bubinga were an option.
    Old Skool Drumma' Hitting things with sticks since 1965

    sigpic

    Reference Series - Crystal Rain
    BLX - Sheer Blue
    Ludwig Vistalites - Clear

  • #2
    I just think you'd be best served by the "standard recipe." It is tried and true and designed to work with its sibling toms as a family. Resale is another consideration. If you want to get adventurous, do it with the snare.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented
    Tama Star walnut and maple kits (indigo sen/emerald curly maple)
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
    Tama Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
    Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

    Comment


    • #3
      Good advice, thanks Sir. I just can't help think they're holding back a little something that only "insiders" get But I like the resale line of thinking, hadn't considered that.

      Much appreciated!
      Old Skool Drumma' Hitting things with sticks since 1965

      sigpic

      Reference Series - Crystal Rain
      BLX - Sheer Blue
      Ludwig Vistalites - Clear

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by steadypocket View Post
        I just think you'd be best served by the "standard recipe." It is tried and true and designed to work with its sibling toms as a family. Resale is another consideration. If you want to get adventurous, do it with the snare.
        Agreed, and you'd be adding a MW tom to a Ref kit. Not saying that's a bad thing.

        Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
        8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

        Originally posted by Mike Foreman
        Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DunnDrum View Post
          I'm seeking a 16 x 13 Tom to complete my kit. I spoke to a Guitar Center Salesman who contacted Pearl and confirmed that the drum could be special ordered with the typical 4 - 6 month wait time and pay when the order is placed. I'm seriously giving it some thought. Would anyone recommend a different shell configuration rather than the standard Reference Maple / Mahogany recipe? Figure if i special order I may as well tweak and make it true custom. All Mahogany perhaps Birch and Mahogany, I wish Bubinga were an option.
          Obviously get the standard 16x13!! Why would you get 1 drum that wouldn't fit in to the rest of your kits sound?
          Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

          22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            I think matching the finish would be a concern.
            K3ith R

            Pearl MCX/280 - 8x7,10x8,12x9, 13x9, 14x14,16x16,18x22
            Zildjian As, Ks, / Vic Firth 5A, Vater Mike Johnston model

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm sorry, we have no Crystal Rain here.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nik12 View Post
                I'm sorry, we have no Crystal Rain here.

                Purple Rain???

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLmq_rM9F4
                Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

                22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by K3ith R View Post
                  I think matching the finish would be a concern.
                  I would hope a special order to get that color would get a perfect match. Although I have seen the differences in Shimmer of Oz. I wonder if providing my serial numbers would help insure a match.
                  Old Skool Drumma' Hitting things with sticks since 1965

                  sigpic

                  Reference Series - Crystal Rain
                  BLX - Sheer Blue
                  Ludwig Vistalites - Clear

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Stefan Ray View Post
                    Obviously get the standard 16x13!! Why would you get 1 drum that wouldn't fit in to the rest of your kits sound?
                    Just thinking outside the box, that's what I do. It's a job requirement.
                    Old Skool Drumma' Hitting things with sticks since 1965

                    sigpic

                    Reference Series - Crystal Rain
                    BLX - Sheer Blue
                    Ludwig Vistalites - Clear

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DunnDrum View Post
                      Just thinking outside the box, that's what I do. It's a job requirement.
                      Fair enough, but sometimes you need to think in the box as well. Keeps you balanced.
                      Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

                      22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Stefan Ray View Post
                        Fair enough, but sometimes you need to think in the box as well. Keeps you balanced.
                        I'm convinced, not going to risk the integrity of the whole kit with an experimental tom. Standard ref spec it will be.
                        Old Skool Drumma' Hitting things with sticks since 1965

                        sigpic

                        Reference Series - Crystal Rain
                        BLX - Sheer Blue
                        Ludwig Vistalites - Clear

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DunnDrum View Post
                          not going to risk the integrity of the whole kit with an experimental tom.
                          No need to be so dramatic about it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by nik12 View Post
                            No need to be so dramatic about it.
                            Drama begets drama
                            Old Skool Drumma' Hitting things with sticks since 1965

                            sigpic

                            Reference Series - Crystal Rain
                            BLX - Sheer Blue
                            Ludwig Vistalites - Clear

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by nik12 View Post
                              No need to be so dramatic about it.
                              Dramatic??
                              Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

                              22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X