New to me Shimmer of Oz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me Shimmer of Oz

Hey all, so I took the plunge and sold all of my Tama Starclassic B/Bs and bought a used Reference kit this weekend. The seller was awesome and held it for me until I sold my kit and agreed to meet me halfway near St. Louis.

First the specs:
    8x10" rt | 8x12" rt | 14x14" ft | 16x16" ft | 5x14" snare | 16x20" kick | 18x22 virgin kick

There are only a couple of issues, the 20" kick is WAY brighter and more clear and sparkly than the rest of the kit. It looks amazing and unfortunately makes the rest of the kit look a little dull. Also the 14" floor tom has some cracks in the finish. The seller swears he was unaware, it looks like someone dropped it at some point, but they're pretty hard to see and I'm not that disappointed. It still sounds awesome and I only play the 12 and 16 toms out at shows.

I got the chance to take them out already, and was VERY VERY impressed. I thought for sure I'd definitely want a 6.5x14" snare if I ever got one of these kits, but the 5x14" is really full and has amazing depth to it. The hardware on these is FAR superior to Tama's hardware. It might be the most impressive part of the kit that I'm blown away by. My old Tama Kicks were monstrous, but the 22" I used yesterday sounded brilliant. I need to work at tuning the toms a lot more and replace all the heads all the way around, but I am blown away. It's funny how much of a pleasure it is to play new gear.

Here are some initial pics, but I promise to update this thread with better pictures as I get them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PearlRef2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	5285741

Name:	PEarlRef3.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	5285742
    Last edited by bradland; 04-08-2014, 11:49 AM.
    Shadeland on Facebook | My Youtube Channel
    sigpic
    Red Sparkle Haloflake Masterworks - 10x7|12x8|16x14|22x16|14x7.5
    Pearl Masters MCX - 10x8|12x8|16x14|22x16|14x6.5 Pearl Tico Torres FF
    OLD - Pearl Reference Shimmer of Oz | Tama Starclassic B/B Lava Glass Glitter | Gretsch Renown

Shoot, man...that was sweet deal. The kit looks great! Congrats to you!

Comment

Great deal for sure. How are you liking them so far?

Comment

Fantastic!
        sigpicPEARL DRUMS
        MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
        My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

Comment

Very nice, congrats.
          sigpic
          Pearl Masterworks Kit - Tamo Tangerine fade to Natural with Satin
          (22x18(2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x16, 18x16, 14x6.5 20ply snare)

Pearl Masters Kit - Vintage Wine
          (20x16, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14)

Comment

Looks great, I'd have a lot of fun with those two kicks!

Comment

Hmmm. Great drums and finish! enjoy them mate. The finishes don't look too different in that photo?

Old kit: Gretsch New Classic

Comment

Originally posted by Artisan View Post
                Hmmm. Great drums and finish! enjoy them mate. The finishes don't look too different in that photo?
                It's so hard to tell without looking at them in person. It's not a huge deal at all, but I do wish the rest of the kit was as crystal-clear as the 20" kick. I'll see if I can get a better picture to compare.

Check this out, you can see there's a bit more contrast between the green and the brighter sparkles on the 20"

Name:	PearlRef1.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	5170142

Like I said though, I'm not complaining, they're all still amazing.
                sigpic
                OLD - Pearl Reference Shimmer of Oz | Tama Starclassic B/B Lava Glass Glitter | Gretsch Renown

Comment

That 20 inch may have been ordered recently, i know Pearl is using a different lacquer process for Purple Craze II and a few others. Idk if shimmer of oz is one of those or not.

Comment

How's the 20" sound and what batter is on it?
                    sigpic
                    Pearl Masterworks Kit - Tamo Tangerine fade to Natural with Satin
                    (22x18(2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x16, 18x16, 14x6.5 20ply snare)

Pearl Masters Kit - Vintage Wine
                    (20x16, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14)

Comment

awesome score!
                      Check out my band! : Chives
                      linktr.ee/chives.mp3

Comment

Awesome kit---yeah you can definitely tell a difference b/w finishes on the two kicks. I've always loved shimmer of oz. Great kit!!
                        sigpic
                        Pearl Masters Premium BRP UPDATED
                        Masters Studio MBX Make Over-Emerald Mist
                        The Masters Army

Comment

Originally posted by croomz View Post
                          That 20 inch may have been ordered recently, i know Pearl is using a different lacquer process for Purple Craze II and a few others. Idk if shimmer of oz is one of those or not.

Ahhh I knew they were doing it different for the Purple Craze but I didn't think about that with the Shimmer of Oz, perhaps.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie5150 View Post
                            How's the 20" sound and what batter is on it?

It sounds alright, I'm a huge fan of Evans and I'll be throwing a EMAD2 on there, for now it just has the stock head. It is really punchy though. Maybe once I get an EMAD on there I can take a decent video of it for you. I'm really looking forward to spending some time with these drums fine tuning them if life ever slows down.
                            sigpic

Comment

Great score man, welcome to Club Ref!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
                              8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
                              Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Working...
                              X