Remo Vs Evans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1991ant1991
    if the evans combo your wanting to try out is g2 over g1's then stick with the references heads til they are no more because if they come with with remo emperors and ambassadors then remember this:
    remo emperor = evans g2
    remo ambassador = evans g1

hope that made sense and helped because im not the best at explaining things lol.
    yeh that made sense lol, but, apparantly although both heads are of similar constructions they both have equally different sounds.
    Play what you mean and mean what you play; there is always something to learn.

Comment

IMO clear G2's over G1's is the best all around Evans head for the Reference. The stock ambassadors gave out the best tone, but were not very durable. The EC1's..clear and coated..were just too muted unless playing alone. I'm very interested in a 12 mil head...so may give them a whirl when funds become available..what's another $65?? =-P

Comment

aha thanks philip yeh I think im gonna do the same as you, try out a few heads from different brands and try out some different combinations.

is there really alot that much difference between the g2 and the emperor then?

I really can't wait to play them!!!!!!

Comment

I've been messing around with the tuning of the Emperors on my Refs, and it's tricky. I don't know if someone experienced the same, but as you know, these are very sensitive drums when it comes to tuning. This meaning that the smallest turn on the rods makes a big change on the pitch, which is perfect for fine tuning. The problem I found with the Emperors was that to tune the toms to my ideal pitch, the heads star to ring like crazy. Of course you can get rid of this by tuning the reso heads way up, but then the drums become choked. You can even feel it on the batter head, because when you play sequencial notes on (for example) the floor tom, it feels very rigid, without the low end body.

I want my drums to ring, because that's what makes a great sound IMO, but when they ring at a point that you loose your main pitch, that's just not good.

I found them easier to tune with the stock coated ambassadors then with the emperors.

I was really wondering if any of you guys experienced the same.

PS: I created a thread in which we could post sounds of our Refs using different head combos, as it would be easier to let others listen to the differences rather then try to explain them.

I don't know if you think that's a good idea, but here's the link anyway:

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=210055
          My Kits / Reference update + recordings

Nuno Oliveira @ Myspace

Bass-Off @ Myspace

Comment

Heads and more heads

For what it's worth, here's been my experience with heads on my Masterworks kit (circa. 2003). Keep in mind though that what sounds good un-mic'd may not sound so great mic'd.

The toms came with coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors. Un-mic'd, they were very open and had a long sustain. I wanted to try out something different though so I tried a combination that worked well on my Exports, clear Evans G2's over G1's. A good bit deader than the ambassador combination without much sustain but sounded very good mic'd. I then went with coated G2's while keeping the clear G1's on the bottom. Just minutely deader than the clear G2's but not much difference other than that. Next up was smooth white emperors over clear ambassadors. To me, it seemed a little more open than the G2/G1 combo and sounded decent under mics. NEXT, I tried a combo that Carl Peterson used - Aquarian clear double-thins over Aquarian classic clears. This was a very nice combo that sounded more open than either of the two-ply heads I tried before.

After all that... there's another MW owner on here with a carbon-ply kit, Mike Meaner I think. He uses Pinstripes. Back then (a few years ago), I wrinkled my nose at using them on such a nice kit. Well, that's what I'm using now. I'm always playing through a PA so that's the sound I had to concentrate the most on. The pinstripes' controlled sound sounds great through the PA and gives the toms some amazing depth and punch.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive to use such dead heads on a "high-end" drum, but it's all about the sound at the end of the day and the pinstripes get the job done.

Oh, I mostly play rock and contemporary Christian type stuff - I wouldn't think that the lighter touch needed with jazz or for other more dynamic playing would lend itself very well to the pinstripe heads. YMMV.
            This is me not littering with an equipment inventory here. :rolleyes:

Comment

I would not get remo if you want a coated head, stick to evans their coating has lasted a year for me.
              My Old Kit...
              http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=201850

Sonor Force 3007 has arrived :)
              http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=206892

North High Drumline Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALlnmd-TGg

Comment

First, welcome to this forum and congrats on your new ref's.I hope you look past some of the behavior on this forum.Head selection can be tricky. I own a Pearl birch masters that came with remo ambasadors and they didnt do it for me. Next I tried Evans g2's and they sounded better. I now have ec2's on all 4 toms and a emad2 w/emad reso and pillow gate system. It sounds killer.
                Wiscaansin!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan_M
                  For what it's worth, here's been my experience with heads on my Masterworks kit (circa. 2003). Keep in mind though that what sounds good un-mic'd may not sound so great mic'd.

The toms came with coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors. Un-mic'd, they were very open and had a long sustain. I wanted to try out something different though so I tried a combination that worked well on my Exports, clear Evans G2's over G1's. A good bit deader than the ambassador combination without much sustain but sounded very good mic'd. I then went with coated G2's while keeping the clear G1's on the bottom. Just minutely deader than the clear G2's but not much difference other than that. Next up was smooth white emperors over clear ambassadors. To me, it seemed a little more open than the G2/G1 combo and sounded decent under mics. NEXT, I tried a combo that Carl Peterson used - Aquarian clear double-thins over Aquarian classic clears. This was a very nice combo that sounded more open than either of the two-ply heads I tried before.

After all that... there's another MW owner on here with a carbon-ply kit, Mike Meaner I think. He uses Pinstripes. Back then (a few years ago), I wrinkled my nose at using them on such a nice kit. Well, that's what I'm using now. I'm always playing through a PA so that's the sound I had to concentrate the most on. The pinstripes' controlled sound sounds great through the PA and gives the toms some amazing depth and punch.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive to use such dead heads on a "high-end" drum, but it's all about the sound at the end of the day and the pinstripes get the job done.

Oh, I mostly play rock and contemporary Christian type stuff - I wouldn't think that the lighter touch needed with jazz or for other more dynamic playing would lend itself very well to the pinstripe heads. YMMV.

i know quite a few people that use pinstripes live, they say it makes the drums deep and powerful, i must say some of them did sound good through the PA.
                  ive never really liked the feel of pinstripes, IMO it feels like im hitting bin lid lol, but to be fair, they were on someone elses kit which was pretty old and had never changed heads, so i guess they had passed their time.

id like to hear your kit, sounds nice

Comment

Originally posted by skeld-the-wicked
                    First, welcome to this forum and congrats on your new ref's.I hope you look past some of the behavior on this forum.Head selection can be tricky. I own a Pearl birch masters that came with remo ambasadors and they didnt do it for me. Next I tried Evans g2's and they sounded better. I now have ec2's on all 4 toms and a emad2 w/emad reso and pillow gate system. It sounds killer.
                    thankyou!

and yeh im only hear to get the best out of my kit, no arguments

I actually recently played a birch masters with ambassadors and felt the drums sounded somewhat - thin. They had good tone but just didnt have the power. They were crying out for some 2plys.

im definatly gonna try out 2ply over one ply. so im thining try out emperors over ambassadors and if not g2s over g1s. I dont think ill need any muffling cos IMO the overtones dont sound too bad.

thanks for your opinion

Comment

I have g2's (coated) over Resonant Glass (evans) heads on my toms. and they sound amazing.

Comment

I really don't like evans coating, I'v got a used snare with a missing piece of coating. That doesn't help the sound. This was a G1/ I now use an Ambassador coated
                        My selection would be:

Powerstroke 3 on bass both batter and reso -- clear / ebony
                        Emperors on toms and snare or ambassadors (whatever you like) coated of clear

there you go
                        We're really lucky to be a part of this wonderfull thing called music :p

My Tama Starclassic kit:)

My old Mapex kit:)

It's not about what you have. It's how you use it;)

“To play the unplayed… ” (Thomas Lang)

Comment

Originally posted by Batecas
                          I've been messing around with the tuning of the Emperors on my Refs, and it's tricky. I don't know if someone experienced the same, but as you know, these are very sensitive drums when it comes to tuning. This meaning that the smallest turn on the rods makes a big change on the pitch, which is perfect for fine tuning. The problem I found with the Emperors was that to tune the toms to my ideal pitch, the heads star to ring like crazy. Of course you can get rid of this by tuning the reso heads way up, but then the drums become choked. You can even feel it on the batter head, because when you play sequencial notes on (for example) the floor tom, it feels very rigid, without the low end body.

I want my drums to ring, because that's what makes a great sound IMO, but when they ring at a point that you loose your main pitch, that's just not good.

I found them easier to tune with the stock coated ambassadors then with the emperors.

I was really wondering if any of you guys experienced the same.

PS: I created a thread in which we could post sounds of our Refs using different head combos, as it would be easier to let others listen to the differences rather then try to explain them.

I don't know if you think that's a good idea, but here's the link anyway:

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=210055
                          high end drums seem to be easiers to tune with both single ply on top and bottoms while low-end kit seem to sound great with for example Pinstripes
                          High end kits have more hard wood in them, they resonate more. So with double ply's the sound has to go somewhere. That's the ring you might hear
                          We're really lucky to be a part of this wonderfull thing called music :p

My Tama Starclassic kit:)

My old Mapex kit:)

It's not about what you have. It's how you use it;)

“To play the unplayed… ” (Thomas Lang)

Comment

Working...
                          X