12x10, the spawn of satan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12x10, the spawn of satan

I have a 12x10 rack tom, and it is by far the biggest pain in the *** to get in tune out of any drum i've ever tuned. Does anyone else who has this size drum have any techniques or head options that might mke it a little easier?
    Check out my band, Digital Summer
    I endorse Pearl Drums and Vic Firth Sticks.

Pearl Reference White Marine w/Black Chrome HW:
    8x7, 10x9, 14x14, 16x16, 22x20 kick,
    13x6.5 snare Piano Black w/Black Chrome.

Deeper toms are generally more difficult to tune. I've never tried one(12x10) though.
    Last edited by kayaun; 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM.
    KayAun

Originally posted by EXHUMED
    Good thing you guys are just America's hat.
    Originally posted by space_jeff
    incorrect, America is Canada's arse :D

Comment

I use a coated Emeperor on my 10x12. My bottm head is fairly tight and the batter side is about medium. Mine sounds amazing.
      Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kayaun
        Deeper toms are generally more difficult to tune. I've never tried one though.
        i have a 16x16 floor tom, and it sounds amazing...almost like a 808. i tune my toms pretty deep

Comment

If you are trying to tune both heads at an equal tension you are going to have to be really patient with the drum. That's like trying to tune 2 bass drums exactly the same. It's very hard.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MW_drummer
            If you are trying to tune both heads at an equal tension you are going to have to be really patient with the drum. That's like trying to tune 2 bass drums exactly the same. It's very hard.
            I tend to tune just by finger tightening all the tension rods first, then on the resonant head give each rod about 4/10th's of a full turn, then on the batter head finger tighten plus about 7/10th's of a turn. so the resonant head is actually a good bit lower

Comment

Originally posted by cicatriz_esp
              I tend to tune just by finger tightening all the tension rods first, then on the resonant head give each rod about 4/10th's of a full turn, then on the batter head finger tighten plus about 7/10th's of a turn. so the resonant head is actually a good bit lower
              That can be a real problem on tom heads. Especially a 12 and 13. To get the best sound, you should always have the reso slightly tighter than the batter.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MW_drummer
                That can be a real problem on tom heads. Especially a 12 and 13. To get the best sound, you should always have the reso slightly tighter than the batter.
                ill give that a try, i have the reso lower on my floor tom and it sounds unnnnnbelieveable. i guess it varies. thanks for your help!

Comment

ill give that a try, i have the reso lower on my floor tom and it sounds unnnnnbelieveable. i guess it varies. thanks for your help!
                  Your Welcome!

Yeah, you can get away with that on big square sized toms. I promise you will like the sound of your 12 better doing my way.

sigpic

Comment

12x11 birch Granstar = no trouble tuning

Yeah, reso slightly higher. If you try to go the other way you can easily end up with a lot of really blah grossness. Yes, "blah grossness" is a technical drum term and it's generally not a good thing.

Clear Emp over Amb

Comment

Wow, really? That must barely resonate at all. 00**

Comment

Originally posted by devildrums555
                        Wow, really? That must barely resonate at all. 00**
                        actually it resonates fine, my floor tom sounds great...but the rack tom resonates bad tones haha. i don't have to turn the tensions rods much anyways cause on ref's they are pretty sensitive, and i tune low

Comment

Try tight reso and medium batterhead. Works for me (dw 4ply maple).

The 12" toms are not that easy to tune properly. The shorter the tom the more difficult it gets to my ears and feelings. I think it's because the batterhead is so close to the resonant head, and you have quicker response. Not sure ... but it's kind off hard ...

Good luck!

uncle Sam

HOMEMADE KIT
                          DW Drums Tama Craviotto Ludwig Zildjian

Rehearsal Studio
                          Drum build

Comment

See the "sticky" near the top of Reference section: "Head Options And Tuning Techniques by Gene Okamoto"
                            Looking to sell 22X18 Diamond Burst Masters Studio (BRX) bass drum. PM if interested.

Comment

I've always had trouble tuning 13" toms. ANY brand. 13" toms are like an unlucky tom for me tuning-wise, though I like those over 10s (old school me).

Floor toms are always going to be bigger sounding than toms. I mean, look at the size.

I don't expect my toms to sound like my floor tom, nor vice versa. They're two different animals, which is why drummers like yourself prefer hanging toms all the way through. A little more tuning control, methinks.

It will never be 100%, but it will be close enough. It's one thing if they don't sound in consort, but for the most part the 12 should be an extension of the floor tom, like on a piano.
                              Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
                              Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
                              Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
                              Rogers: 13-16-22
                              Yamaha, Tama, snares
                              Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

Comment

Working...
                              X