where can i buy reference legs/brackets for my floor toms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where can i buy reference legs/brackets for my floor toms

I have 14x11 and 16x13 toms and I'm looking to make them floor toms with the legs and brackets.....where can I buy these from? Ive checked samash and musicians friend, but they don't offer the reference series legs/brackets.

any help would be great! thanks!

ryan
    Last edited by blueday; 03-19-2008, 09:26 AM.
    click here, pictures of my REFERENCE TWILIGHT FADE
    click here, pictures of my MASTERS STUDIO BLACK
    click here, pictures of my PAISTE TRADITIONALS/SIGNATURES

Check with massmusic.net or drumsonsale.com. I've had good luck with both of them in the past...and I know that they both have the Ref floor tom brackets (model LB-200 - about $20 per bracket) as I just checked on that myself. I'm sure they stock the legs as well. Good luck with it!

Comment

can you copy/paste the link for that? I just searched thier site and it only brought up thier reference set for sell, not the individual brackets/legs....the other site you gave doesn't have a search and I couldn't find anything either....

thanks for the quick reply!

ryan

Comment

Dude..just call them..it's toll free even. I promise they don't bite. =)

Comment

That's actually a really cool idea...making the 14x11 rack tom a floor tom with some legs...could be easier for me instead of lugging a snare stand around for the thing.
          Last edited by Renalen; 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM.
          Originally posted by HHXplorer
          I believe it has these measurements:
          Depth : Chuck Norris
          Diameter : John Petrucci

John Petrucci = Chuck Norris²
          Chuck Norris x John Petrucci = Chuck Norris x Chuck Norris² = Chuck Norris³

My YouTube

Comment

It's pretty tough to find those things listed online anywhere... picking up your phone is a sure bet though

keep in mind that if you are drilling those into existing drums, you'll be voiding the warranty on the shells
            Proud to be a Pearl Drums dealer once again!

sigpic

DC Portsmouth | Facebook | Twitter

Comment

I'd guess you'd have to be extra careful drilling Reference drums. They were engineered to not have those legs drilled. Be careful!
              Winner of "Best avatar" award 2008.

~My MCX~
              My own assembled snare (Better pics page 3)

sigpic

Comment

I'd guess you'd have to be extra careful drilling Reference drums. They were engineered to not have those legs drilled. Be careful!

not to sound like a *******, but then why do the deeper reference floor toms come with legs?

My 14" isn't too heavy but the 16" with the hardware is somewhat on the heavy side.....i'm not worried about it falling off the stand or anything, i just don't like the 16 bouncing up and down with playing on it ya know...just personal preference i guess....

thanks for the info guys...i called samash and they're taking care of me.....i just figured one could purchase these pretty easily.......atleast i get to sell the tom mounts and offset purchasing these.

ryan

Comment

Not sure. I guess the deeper toms could be slightly different.
                  Winner of "Best avatar" award 2008.

~My MCX~
                  My own assembled snare (Better pics page 3)

sigpic

Comment

Andy, keep eye out of for 6 of those bad boys headed to upstate Ny in the next few days....
                    sigpic

Pearl Reference:Purple Craze
                    20x16|8x7|10x8|12x9|14x14F|16x16F|13x6.5
                    DW Collectors Exotix
                    20x14|12x8|14x14F|14x5
                    stevestruss.com

Check out my band!

Comment

Because it hasn't been suggested yet and I would hate for anything to possibly go wrong with your project, I have to suggest the Gauger "dynamount" floor tom cradles. They're basically a RIMS mount for your floor toms so you can use floor tom legs w/o having to re-drill the shells (and for other acoustic reasons). You should be able to order them from just about any dealer or find them online, both at reasonable cost.

http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/dynamount.html
                      Pearl, Sabian, Evans, Ahead, Puresound, Humes & Berg, Porter & Davies Westone
                      http://www.cwilliamsdrums.com
                      Accept
                      Youtube
                      Facebook
                      Instagram
                      Twitter

Comment

dude i wouldnt be drilling shells myself...unless i was a skilled craftsman.

why dont you try and get a "cradle"...i forget who makes them and the details, but ive seen them before. the drum sits on the stands in this cradle like contraption...much better than legs.
                        Has not cleaned his cymbals since 2004

www.hailer.com.au
                        www.myspace.com/hailermusic

Comment

not to sound like a jerk, but I don't see what's so hard about marking off where the 3 brackets will be on each drum and then drilling two holes per bracket whatever distance apart? I don't see any reason why this should go wrong, it's kinda hard to screw up.

as for the sound of the drum, if the tom leg brackets have that much effect on the sound I guess we shouldn't even have the lugs on the drums that actually hold the head on...that's pretty much all it is, 3 more lugs added. Pearl put legs on the 14x14s etc....Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the sound won't change, I just think it'll be very, very minimal......I think the suspension mount actually does more to the sound than anything....the 14 & 16 or pretty heavy with the diff wood types and heavy hardware, and if i lift up on the opposite end that's being help by the sus. mount the whole sound of the drum changes....the sus. mounts put stress on the lugs and messes with the tunning of the heads.

the real question is will i like it....and yes, I will....for me, it'll make setup a little quicker and I don't have to position my cymbal stands completely different (or carry an extra stand) just to add the extra "floor tom." This setup just works best in my situations. Getting rid of the Sus. mounts will also clean up the appearance of the drums and show off the beautiful twilight fade color.

As for the RIMs mounts, they do look nice and would be a good alternative for someone who is up in the air about doing this.....

Comment

rushofblood2112:

have you gotten your brackets/legs in? Take some pics if you can!

I ended up ordering from massmusic.....samash took over 3 days to call me back on a price.....massmusic quoted me a price right away over the phone and ordered the same day. Should be in tomorrow (friday). Oh yeah, did i mention they were about $8 cheaper a piece than samash's price?

Later!

ryan

Comment

Measure thrice.
                              Use new, quality drill bits.
                              Use several sizes of drill bits.
                              Start small, allows for slight hole position corrections.
                              Drill from the outside mostly.
                              Use a rounded wood block as a backer to help prevent inside splintering.
                              Drill in slightly (chamfer) the holes on the inside on the last couple drillings to limit the splintering on the inside. It will likely splinter a little but this keeps it smaller than the washer covered area.

I used the original RIMS floor cradle on my one 15x13 tom. It truely sucked from a casing/uncasing point of view. A 15" tom barely fit in a 16" case with that mount and the same size case fit my 18" floor tom (snug). After I sold those toms and got my newest ones with a 15x14 MRX, I IMMEDIATELY ordered and installed Masters brackets and legs on it. And I am REALLY happy with my decision.

While your warranty will be affected, I'd think as long as any problems were NOT related to those bracket holes, Pearl should honor it.

weps
                              Pearl Masters piano black: MRX 8x8, 10x8, 12x8, MMX 15x14, 18x16, MRX 20x16 bass
                              Snares: 14x5 Blacrolite w/S-hoop, 14x5 SX jazz special pimped w/Mastercast.
                              Cymbals: ALL PAISTE: 3000 heavy hats, Signature 16", 18" fast crash, 17" mellow crash, 20" heavy dry ride, 18" thin China

Comment

Working...
                              X