Reference drums wood shell specifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrpaiste
    . . . I'm sure this will prevent a lot of future questions.

Dude, I want what you're smokin'. Someone will ask about this in a week or so . . . look at how many times the question about "best heads for a reference" has been asked and answered.
    Speaking of heads, I posted this in Gene's thread but didn't get any response so far so I'll just ask here. (Not trying to hijack or anything, didn't feel like making another Head Thread) [Ctrl C + Ctrl V]

I know it's all just a matter of personal preferences but would Clear Emperors over Clear Ambassadors give me a deep and full sound?

I think I should be able to try a few heads at my local store but they are a bit more expensive than when I order them in Germany. What do you think, should I risk ordering without testing?

I have no idea for the bass yet. I've heard an EMAD does great things to the Reference bass. I want to get rid of the "basketball-effect" on the head but I don't want to cut a hole in the reso for cosmetic reasons... Help is highly appreciated!

Also worth to mention: I play lots of Tool, Opeth and Dream Theater inspired music.
    Kits:
    - 2007 Reference - OUTSIDE - First pics
    - 2007 Roland TD-6 KX
    - 2002 Forum

Snares:
    COLLECTION - Reference 14x6.5" - Masterworks Rosewood 14x5" - JEFF OCHELTREE Spirit Of 2oo2 14x6.5"

Comment

I now have clear amb over clear emps. I used to have clear amb top and reso, but IMO the emps sounds better. I have a PS3 on the bass head and the factory coated reso, but I did cut a hole in it. This sounds fine to me, but if you don't want to cut a hole in your reso then buy a normal PS3 without the Pearl logo and see how it sounds first compared to a drum without a hole
      My Reference Kit in Rootbeer Fade

David Gillespie Band
      Drumming with David Gillespie Band

This is me (no random adds please!)
      MySpace
      Facebook

Comment

sticky please.............

I have an 18 x 16 floor, actually, my only floor. It is my favorite drum next to the kick and the 12 and the 10.

sound .. warm, wet and inviting. deep very deep.

Tom Reyns! The Emps clears will not give you the sound you seek. EC2 might.

I have just posted a tuning thread and this will solve a hell of a lot of problems.

I am just about to record to give examples but what I can say for the meantime is tuning is the key......

My drums sound truly and utterly F###### amazing!!!!!!

most people tune way to high. the head of the drum if it is just on is close to the sound. RF anyway. other drums well....
        Last edited by givemethebeat; 05-14-2007, 11:08 AM.
        REFERENCE SF 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 18x16 22x18 Paiste Signature 10 12 14 17 19 20 Paiste Traditional Med Lite 14 Hts 16 Cr Avedis 15 14x6.5" REF Snare Regal Tip 5A 5b Remo & Evans

http://www.pas.org/About/HOF/stone.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by givemethebeat
          sticky please.............

I have an 18 x 16 floor, actually, my only floor. It is my favorite drum next to the kick and the 12 and the 10.

sound .. warm, wet and inviting. deep very deep.

Tom Reyns! The Emps clears will not give you the sound you seek. EC2 might.

I have just posted a tuning thread and this will solve a hell of a lot of problems.

I am just about to record to give examples but what I can say for the meantime is tuning is the key......

My drums sound truly and utterly F###### amazing!!!!!!

most people tune way to high. the head of the drum if it is just on is close to the sound. RF anyway. other drums well....
          Tom, check this out!!!!!!!

David Gillespie Band

MySpace
          Facebook

Comment

And now for the different depths… updated...
            (diameter x depth)

Toms
            08” - 8x7, 8x8
            10” - 10x7, 10x8, 10x9, 10x10
            12” - 12x8, 12x9, 12x10
            13” - 13x9, 13x10, 13x11
            14” - 14x10, 14x11, 14x12
            15” - 15x13, 15x14
            16” - 16x13, 16x14

Floor toms
            14” – 14x14
            16” – 16x16
            18” – 18x16

Bass drums
            18” – 18x14, 18x16
            20” – 20x14, 20x16, 20x18
            22” – 22x14, 22x16, 22x18, 22x20
            24” – 24x16, 24x18
            20” – 20x14 (gong bass)

Snares
            14” – 14x5, 14x6.5
            13” – 13x6.5

David Gillespie Band

MySpace
            Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Reyns
              Has anyone ever heard an 18x16" Floortom? I'm afraid it'll sound too gongy and uncontrolled.
              Not at all. The 18" Reference Floor Tom is a beast, and very clean sounding. I mentioned in another post last week that I got to hear my kit miced up for a major country act (They wanted to use my kit) and the floor toms were incredible. The 16 and 18 were truly thunderous, and there was a clear distinction between the two. The 18" is an amazing drum. I had the same thoughts as you when I was deciding what sizes to get, but a really nice guy at Pearl swore to me that the 18 would sound great, and he was right. Once I put the G2's on the floor toms.....perfection. They are without a doubt the best sounding floor toms I have ever experienced.
              Dan
              Pearl MW: Antique Sunburst
              Pearl MW: Bubinga Artisan
              DW Coll.: Exotic Twisted Olive
              DW Coll. Aztec Gold Sparkle
              Snares: Pearl Ref : 6.5x14" Steel, Pearl Eric Singer
              Carolina Drumworks 6x14" Bubinga Stave
              Balt. Drum 7x14 10/6 Maple.

Comment

Originally posted by Harleydan
                Not at all. The 18" Reference Floor Tom is a beast, and very clean sounding. I mentioned in another post last week that I got to hear my kit miced up for a major country act (They wanted to use my kit) and the floor toms were incredible. The 16 and 18 were truly thunderous, and there was a clear distinction between the two. The 18" is an amazing drum. I had the same thoughts as you when I was deciding what sizes to get, but a really nice guy at Pearl swore to me that the 18 would sound great, and he was right. Once I put the G2's on the floor toms.....perfection. They are without a doubt the best sounding floor toms I have ever experienced.
                [Pearl, please make check payable to Harleydan]
                2001 MRX Platinum Mist
                2002 BRX Wine Red
                2006 Ref Purple Craze

Comment

Working...
                X