Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Reference to my incredibly gorgeous new kit :D

See what I did there? I'm so clever.
    Mainly though I'm just thrilled with my brand spanking new Reference Pure kit in my ideal sizes (10, 12, 16, 22) and finish (matte walnut).
    Got it today, can't wait to play it, I've almost arrived at my ideal set up now
    More and better photos to follow (this just as a taster, and to prove it really happened), along with first impressions.

Haven't decided on heads and damping options yet - any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm tending towards Pinstripes or possibly EC2's, and then see if I feel like I need any damping. I'm using Aquarian Performance II on my other kit, and they're nice, but I'm not entirely convinced they'd be great on the new one...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150607_223110.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	5291198
    HHX hats, K crashes, Bosphorus traditional & Paiste sound creation dark rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / SonorLite (Scandinavian birch)

Matt walnut -- so classy.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented
    Tama Star walnut and maple kits (indigo sen/emerald curly maple)
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
    Tama Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
    Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

Comment

Pinstripes and dampening? Why buy such an expensive kit then?
      sigpicTOOL

"There’s a strong correlation between this band’s name and the type of people who listen to their MC Escher butt rock. Hopefully it will be 10,000 more days before they release another album."

Comment

Congrats, one of my favorite stock finishes.

I like G2 but do use EC2 when a situation calls for a more controlled sound, which is more often than not when playing away from home.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
        8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
        Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, View Post
          Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
          I like G2 but do use EC2 when a situation calls for a more controlled sound, which is more often than not when playing away from home.
          Yeah, I just like the way Pinstripes and EC2's sound, I don't think they take away from a drum's resonance, they just do something different... I think I'm gonna go with EC2's, and see how that works...

I used to play without any kind of damping, but it's not always practical, live or in the studio. If I was always guaranteed an amazing sound engineer, fair enough, but unfortunately that's not the case. I think I'm going to wait and see how these sound and then make up my mind...
          Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505

Comment

Pinstripes???

Whatever floats your boat.

Nice kit.
            Check out my incomplete snare drum collection thread. I like it and think it is quite charming. :)

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...e-drum-per-day

Comment

Knowing how these drums sound, I'd suggest clear amb on tops and bottoms. Check out some of my videos in my MW thread, they sound incredible with that conbo
              Jeff Wald – Masterworks Artisan: Red Bubinga Burstwith Gold Hardwaresigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Wald View Post
                Knowing how these drums sound, I'd suggest clear amb on tops and bottoms. Check out some of my videos in my MW thread, they sound incredible with that conbo
                +1

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, View Post
                  To each his own of course but using pinstripes on those seems to take away the construction advantages of the Pures (thinner, more resonant shells than the regular Refs and hoops that open up the sound, as opposed to the diecasts on the regular refs). Nothing wrong with a more dampened/muted sound but why not just go with the regular References them?
                  Guru Tour padauk segmented
                  Tama Star walnut and maple kits (indigo sen/emerald curly maple)
                  Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
                  Tama Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
                  Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

Comment

Originally posted by steadypocket View Post
                    Nothing wrong with a more dampened/muted sound but why not just go with the regular References them?
                    Weight difference is enough reason for some.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
                    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
                    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                      Weight difference is enough reason for some.
                      Yup. The Pures are heavy enough as it is...

Am gonna try EC2's and see how I like them, can always switch if it does sound too dull.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Wald View Post

Nice one, will check it out.

Comment

I'm a big fan of coated ambassadors/G1s on my reference standard. I would definitely definitely experiential with non dampened heads at first to give you a better feel for the natural drum sound and how to best tune the
                          up.

Comment

I love the Matte Walnut finish; so timeless and classy. As for heads, go for whatever sounds good to you, but I prefer to start with unmuffled heads such as Ambassadors or G2s and then add Moongel or studio rings as needed. You can always add muffling, but you can't cet back to "pure" if the head has rings built in. What sort of environment do you think you'll mostly be playing in with these?
                            Love everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbeard View Post
                              What sort of environment do you think you'll mostly be playing in with these?
                              All sorts - that's part of my dilemma - small stages (unmic'd), big stages (mic'd), studio. And since I'm waaaay too lazy to go changing heads all the time, I want something very controlled that's gonna work well in all of those situations...

Comment

Working...
                              X