Reference Pure with BB3 Tom Mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference Pure with BB3 Tom Mount?

I’m a new member. I searched and have found nothing relating to my question.
    Are there any Ref Pure owners who use the BB3 bass drum tom mount to hold their toms?
    I have multiple kits, all with bass drum mounted tom mounts. I have a new Ref Pure set with a ‘virgin’ bass. To date, I have found that hanging my two small toms off of stands requires more hardware, which weighs more, takes more time to setup and “bounces” on many stages. I am seriously considering ‘drilling’ my 18x22 Ref Pure bass drum for a BB3 mount and was curious about the reaction and ‘guidance’ I might receive on this forum. Thanks for any/all input.
    SarasotaDrums
    Reference Pure; Masters MCX; Taye GoKit; LP Congas - Djembe - Bongos - Timbale
    Zildjian - Sabian - Meinl

Folks are going to whine, but it's your drum set and practicality trumps some fantasy ideal and interwebs forum bragging rights any day. Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by sarasotadrums View Post
      Are there any Ref Pure owners who use the BB3 bass drum tom mount to hold their toms?
      I have multiple kits, all with bass drum mounted tom mounts. I have a new Ref Pure set with a ‘virgin’ bass. To date, I have found that hanging my two small toms off of stands requires more hardware, which weighs more, takes more time to setup and “bounces” on many stages. I am seriously considering ‘drilling’ my 18x22 Ref Pure bass drum for a BB3 mount and was curious about the reaction and ‘guidance’ I might receive on this forum. Thanks for any/all input.
      I have often wanted a BB3 mount on my higher end kits. It makes setup so much quicker and compact. I use my Export bass drum with a BB3 mount with a MHX tom and floor tom when I gig live because I can mount the tom and a ride cymbal directly on the bass and it still sounds awesome for live gigging. I do not do that for studio use though. I'd say go ahead and drill that drum if it suits your purpose. But remember, you can't reverse it. And you will loose a bit of resonance in the overall tone. Not much, but some. Maybe find a bass drum from a different pearl line in the same finish with a BB3 mount and try that out before you make a lady out of that reference pure and devirginize her.
      sigpic
      DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

Comment

There's nothing wrong with customizing your kit to fit your needs but unless you feel 100% in the positioning/drilling of the BB3, get a pro to do it for you. Most drum shops will offer this service so check with your local dealers. http://pearldrum.com/dealers/
        Derek Wolfford
        Marketing Department

Comment

Personally I can't mount toms on a kick drum comfortably. Even when I use a 1 up set up. But if you can get them where you need them then go for it. I've never noticed a different sound between virgin/non kicks but some people swear by it. At the end of the day it's your kit; you paid for it.
          This Couch is Long and Full of Friendship
          Pearl Export ELX in Galaxy Blue 22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11,
          Pearl MCX Red Glass 14x6.5 with Superhoops
          Looking for a matching 16x16 floor tom w/ legs

Comment

To all who replied, thanks for your thoughts. You all basically confirmed the conclusions I had already come to. I installed the BB3 today and am glad I am beyond the "OMG, I'm drilling a virgin bass!" syndrome. I really was expecting to hear that I was crazy for even thinking about 'violating' the bass drum. I did the same thing with my MCX kit a couple of years ago and it's been great. Thanks again
            SarasotaDrums
            Reference Pure; Masters MCX; Taye GoKit; LP Congas - Djembe - Bongos - Timbale
            Zildjian - Sabian - Meinl

Comment

To all who replied, thanks for your thoughts. You all basically confirmed the conclusions I had already come to. I installed the BB3 today and am glad I am beyond the "OMG, I'm drilling a virgin bass!" syndrome. I really was expecting to hear that I was crazy for even thinking about 'violating' the bass drum. I did the same thing with my MCX kit a couple of years ago and it's been great. Thanks again
              The only thing left now is to post the pictures...
              Derek Wolfford
              Marketing Department

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Wolfford View Post
                The only thing left now is to post the pictures...
                +1
                This Couch is Long and Full of Friendship
                Pearl Export ELX in Galaxy Blue 22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11,
                Pearl MCX Red Glass 14x6.5 with Superhoops
                Looking for a matching 16x16 floor tom w/ legs

Comment

Hi Sarasota,

Here's a picture of my Reference Pure "Metro Gig Pro" custom kit which has a BT-3 mount in the bass drum. It is a lot easier to use and I haven't noticed any loss of sound quality with either the bass drum or the tom tom.

Of course, the main reason I did it with this custom kit is because it is a "street kit" and thus needed to have a minimal footprint (and it only requires one tom tom).

Specs are: 16x16 kick, 10x13 floor tom, 6x10 tom, 5x12 snare drum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RFP Metro Gig Pro.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	5191056
                  2021 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD, 10x12 FSD

2022 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

Comment

I agree, most stage setups at your average nightclub are not well suited to easy set up and stability. I don't know how skilled you are at woodwork, but there is no way I would trust myself enough to drill into my very expense reference kit, so a pro drum shop would is a must. I don't think it will make a big difference in the sound, but you also could look into getting a better mount/stand system. I use the optimount with tom arm into the base of a cymbal hardware stand for my 12 inch tom and I have never had any problems with stability

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	5191738

Comment

Working...
                    X