Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MM's Pearl 13x5.5 Sensitone BRASS snare drum with Reference Pure HW upgrates! PICS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM's Pearl 13x5.5 Sensitone BRASS snare drum with Reference Pure HW upgrates! PICS!

Hi,

Here's a picture of my Pearl 13x5.5 Sensitone Custom Alloy brass power piccolo snare drum that has been customized with new hardware to match my Reference Pure kit. The second photo shows the matching Pearl 13x5.5 Sensitone steel snare drum that I customized a couple months ago.

SPECS: 13x5.5 beaded brass shell, Fat Tone hoops, STL-100 mini swivel lugs (Japan), SR-1000 Glide Lock strainer system, 42mm stainless steel tension rods, and Pure Sound snare wires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00626.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	5282238

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00522.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	5282239
    2021 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD, 10x12 FSD

2022 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

Wow, do want! How do you come across the custom hardware pieces? Ebay?
    DW Collector's Maple Broken Glass
    60's MIJ Kit
    Formerly-owned kits
    sigpic

Comment

Very nice again MM!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
      8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
      Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by joshvibert View Post
        Wow, do want! How do you come across the custom hardware pieces? Ebay?
        Hi Josh,

No, you can always order the custom parts through Pearl Corporation. The only unusual thing is the STL-100 lugs which are only listed in the Pearl Japan catalog.

MM

Comment

Sweet looking drums! You forgot to mention the 13"s are discontinued. I have a 13" brass as well I keeping it stock since it's only going to become more rare.

Comment

Hi Jook,

We'll, I don't know how much value it will have in the future (since Pearl has a couple other 13" metal snare drums now), but you can also upgrade it with the regular RF swivel lugs and die cast hoops (Gibraltar makes the matching 13" 8-lug bottom hoop). That's what I did before I upgraded to the Reference Pure hardware.

MM

Comment

Hello - The STL-100 lugs look great here! Can you please let me know the hole spacing on these lugs? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by charlietubs View Post
                Hello - The STL-100 lugs look great here! Can you please let me know the hole spacing on these lugs? Thanks.

Charlietubs,

The hole spacing is approximately 7/8". They are not compatible with any other Pearl lugs, so you have to drill new or additional holes to make them work with existing Pearl shells.

For the Pearl Sensitone steel and brass 5.5" depth shells I used, I only had to drill 2 new holes for each lug 7/8" above the existing holes from the CL-55 lugs.

However, when I converted the steel Firecracker 5" depth shells, I had to drill 2 new holes around each of the existing holes from the CL-55 lugs. Fortunately, the rubber (outside) and metal (insided) oval shaped washers completely cover up the original holes so it isn't necessary to repair the shells.

MM
                Last edited by MusicMan; 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Looks so good. I wouldn't mind doing this to my sensitone some time. I remember someone else doing this with the long style tube lugs on their sensitone.
                  sigpic
                  MASTERS ARMY

Comment

Originally posted by some_drummer View Post
                    Looks so good. I wouldn't mind doing this to my sensitone some time. I remember someone else doing this with the long style tube lugs on their sensitone.
                    Hi MM and SD. Al installed STL-65 lugs on his steel 14x6.5 Sensitone, but then sold it shortly after. It was a very nice snare! I also used MM's trick on my MRP1455S/B snare...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Some-drummer,

Thanks for the compliment. I also did this with both sizes of the Firecracker snare drums (and there are pictures posted here on the forum).

It's easy to insert the tubes into the lugs for that kind of look, but I wanted to use the STL-100 version of the lugs in order to show off more of the chrome and brass from the shells. I wanted all my snares to match my Reference Pure kits.

MM

Comment

That black Masters snare is the sex.
                        Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

Comment

Originally posted by MattKeaton View Post
                          That black Masters snare is the sex.
                          Thanks Matt... it sounds good too

Comment

Thanks for bringing this thread up in the mix. These upgrades are fantastic! They really enhance the drum. Great job guys!

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
                            6x7 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x16 | 18x14G | 20x14G | 20x16 | 22x18
                            Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
                            Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
                            Tama Octobans

Comment

Why did Pearl discontinue the 13" Sensitones? I want one so bad. These upgrades make it look even better!

Comment

Working...
                              X