Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reference Pure Review in MD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reference Pure Review in MD

    Modern Drummer's 'Product Close-Up' takes on the Reference Pure Series... read the full review in the October issue.
    Attached Files
    Derek Wolfford
    Marketing Department

  • #2
    Just got my copy in the mail today. Can't wait to read it!
    Pearl Reference Rhythm Blue
    8x8, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16, 22x18

    Gretsch Renown Maple
    8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 22x18

    Tama, Pearl, Ludwig, Remo, Mapex, & OCDP Snares

    Comment


    • #3
      Is it the kind of reviews that gives 4 out of 5 stars to almost every kits?
      My previous Ludwig kit; Pearl Sensitone Aluminum , Pork Pie, Black Panther and Crush snares.
      DW 5000, Pearl modded P-102, P-120P & P-2002B. IC Powerglide. Many cymbals from the big 3.
      Tiny pic of my old cymbal setup.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Its MD - So yes. As much as I like the magazine, their reviews are a joke. They seem to only praise kits. When they said how the new rogers kits (the yamaha student kits) were good, they lost all credibility.

        Comment


        • #5
          I find MD's product reviews to be pretty accurate. I understand that MD has an advertising relationship with many of the companies whose products they review. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. As for their review of the Ref Pure, I have to say that it appeared as though they were looking for something to find fault with. I have never seen or played a Ref Pure, but judging from what I have read on the PDF, they seem like extraordinary drums. I take exception to MD referring to the new STL as "bulbous and bulky." While they are a bit beefier than traditional tube lugs, the STL's incorporate a swivel feature not found in traditional tube lugs and yet that was not taken into consideration. Yes there are three screws on the inside of the shell, but they still take up a whole lot less shell space than most lugs and a whole lot more than a DW lug.
          Drumming since 1961.
          Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
          Many Paiste Cymbals

          Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
          Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

          Comment


          • #6
            i'd like to see a '''side by side''' review of both reference kit/line , to get a clear idea of what their respective sound caracteristics are from a tangible point of view.
            sigpicRUSH FOREVER RUSH
            tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
            sabian HHX's/AAX's



            WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rollracer View Post
              i'd like to see a '''side by side''' review of both reference kit/line , to get a clear idea of what their respective sound caracteristics are from a tangible point of view.

              We all would!
              Drumming since 1961.
              Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
              Many Paiste Cymbals

              Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
              Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree that the STL lugs are a breakthrough in lug technology. You get a modern, stylish appearance, but with the full functionality of the swivel lug. Tube lugs are beautiful, but you can run into trouble if they start to bind up (they are unforgiving).

                As for MD, I wouldn't lay too much importance on their reviews/opinions; they are just a small group of people in North Jersey, trying to put out an International publication. The magazine has suffered greatly since the passing of the creator of it, and one of it's great editors as well.

                Originally posted by quicksticks View Post
                I find MD's product reviews to be pretty accurate. I understand that MD has an advertising relationship with many of the companies whose products they review. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. As for their review of the Ref Pure, I have to say that it appeared as though they were looking for something to find fault with. I have never seen or played a Ref Pure, but judging from what I have read on the PDF, they seem like extraordinary drums. I take exception to MD referring to the new STL as "bulbous and bulky." While they are a bit beefier than traditional tube lugs, the STL's incorporate a swivel feature not found in traditional tube lugs and yet that was not taken into consideration. Yes there are three screws on the inside of the shell, but they still take up a whole lot less shell space than most lugs and a whole lot more than a DW lug.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Reference Pure series is the best.Mine willbe recieved in november,the works.Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    rockdrummer77 - congratulations on your reference pure series kit and welcome to the PDF!!!! What configuration did you get and finish? Post pics when you get them!
                    sigpic


                    Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rockdrummer77 View Post
                      The Reference Pure series is the best.Mine willbe recieved in november,the works.Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      which finish ?
                      sigpicRUSH FOREVER RUSH
                      tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
                      sabian HHX's/AAX's



                      WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Double bass Pearl 503c rack system midnight fade #154

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rockdrummer77 View Post
                          Double bass Pearl 503c rack system midnight fade #154
                          That kit is going to be killer!!! Can't wait to see it.
                          sigpic


                          Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by quicksticks View Post
                            I find MD's product reviews to be pretty accurate. I understand that MD has an advertising relationship with many of the companies whose products they review. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. As for their review of the Ref Pure, I have to say that it appeared as though they were looking for something to find fault with. I have never seen or played a Ref Pure, but judging from what I have read on the PDF, they seem like extraordinary drums. I take exception to MD referring to the new STL as "bulbous and bulky." While they are a bit beefier than traditional tube lugs, the STL's incorporate a swivel feature not found in traditional tube lugs and yet that was not taken into consideration. Yes there are three screws on the inside of the shell, but they still take up a whole lot less shell space than most lugs and a whole lot more than a DW lug.
                            Well said "Old Chap".
                            Steve
                            1976,Chrome Ludwigs w/gloss black inside shells,26x14(x2),13x9,14x10,16x16ft,18x16ft,6''ct, 8"ct,14x6.5 BB SS Snare,Pearl Icon Racks, 2000 series HW and D-2000BR Throne. Zildjians A's, 1960"s Vintage. Tama LE Bubinga/Ebony Exotic Snare, Pearl 14x6.5 MCX Snare,14x6.5 Pearl Free Floater.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rockdrummer77 View Post
                              Double bass Pearl 503c rack system midnight fade #154
                              Should be very HIP!!!!
                              Steve
                              1976,Chrome Ludwigs w/gloss black inside shells,26x14(x2),13x9,14x10,16x16ft,18x16ft,6''ct, 8"ct,14x6.5 BB SS Snare,Pearl Icon Racks, 2000 series HW and D-2000BR Throne. Zildjians A's, 1960"s Vintage. Tama LE Bubinga/Ebony Exotic Snare, Pearl 14x6.5 MCX Snare,14x6.5 Pearl Free Floater.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X