Should I be concerned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be concerned?

Fitting my preferred heads on my new MMP last night I encountered the following inside the 10" tom.

It looks to me like the inner-most ply slipped a touch in the mould.

The drum sounds great and tuned up fine, and I'm assuming if it was a problem the factory wouldn't have continued building this particular drum after it was removed from said mould.

I'm raising it here purely because I just don't know if this is a relatively common feature with these particular drums and something I need not concern myself with, or if this is a flaw that will cause issues further down the road.

Call me a perfectionist if you will but I obtained a lot of satisfaction from the internal finish of the rest of the kit and this one stood out as a result!
    Attached Files

I don't know the answer to your question, but generally speaking, if I purchase anything that is brand new and am in the least way dissatisfied with the quality, I'm going to contact the seller or manufacturer. Most manufacturers will stand by their product, especially if it's a higher-end model. If we were talking about a 1990's Pearl Export, I'd say "just live with it." But since you have a more expensive model, I'd at least ask the question. If they can show you that this is normal and within their quality standards, I guess I'd be OK with it, but just 95% OK; not quite 100%.

Years ago I bought a .357 revolver and I just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I thought it was me. Finally, I contacted the gun shop with the problem. They sent it back to the manufacturer at their expense, got it repaired and gave it back to me no questions asked. Both parties involved (seller and manufacturer) were completely helpful.

Comment

Hi
      Actually we use scarf joints for the construction of our shells. What you are seeing the a slight taper from where the ply was cut prior to the mold. It's normal - nothing to be alarmed about. There's no way the shell could slip as the plywood is cut to exact dimensions.
      Raymond Massey
      Pearl Drums USA

Comment

Yep, looks like normal scarf joint to me. All Masters drums I've own have had similar scarf joints.

Comment

What in the hell is wrong here? Seriously, I see nothing. Are talking about how it's slightly yellow near the rings? If so, you are a perfectionist and I honestly hope you put just as much scrutiny on the work you do as well. Wow.
          dalewmiller.com my kits: 1 2 3

GMS | Paiste|Evans|Kennedy Camden Auxiliary Percussion

Comment

Not at all: the rest of the kit has totally seamless joins and all other kits I've owned have been seamless too, particularly so on the Yamaha Beech Custom Absolute Nouveau that I sold to fund this one.

This is my first Pearl and to encounter just one join that stood out from the rest made me wonder.

The response on here has been great. I've had a really positive PM from Raymond from Pearl and I am no longer wondering 'what if?'.

That was the entire point of this thread, really. It's a great set of drums and my mind is now at rest.

Originally posted by dale w miller View Post
            What in the hell is wrong here? Seriously, I see nothing. Are talking about how it's slightly yellow near the rings? If so, you are a perfectionist and I honestly hope you put just as much scrutiny on the work you do as well. Wow.

Comment

U mad, bro?

Seriously, why are you so offended by the post? Did you hand-make this drum yourself or something?

I'm raising it here purely because I just don't know if this is a relatively common feature with these particular drums and something I need not concern myself with, or if this is a flaw that will cause issues further down the road.
              It was a perfectly reasonable question with no undertones of dissatisfaction, and now he has an answer that has satisfied his query. Did you really need to get so worked up about it?

Comment

Originally posted by malamikigo View Post
                U mad, bro? Seriously, why are you so offended by the post? Did you hand-make this drum yourself or something? It was a perfectly reasonable question with no undertones of dissatisfaction, and now he has an answer that has satisfied his query. Did you really need to get so worked up about it?
                No, I'm not mad. I just find some people's expectations unreasonable.

Comment

From what I've learnt since joining the PDF, I have found Dale to be mild mannered and courteous in his posts. His post did come off a bit standoff~ish but to his credit, it's rare. Glad to see Pearl's prompt response to the OP's question too.
                  Originally posted by dexplosion
                  Boom stands are for sissies.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakes&Arrows View Post
                    From what I've learnt since joining the PDF, I have found Dale to be mild mannered and courteous in his posts. His post did come off a bit standoff~ish but to his credit, it's rare. Glad to see Pearl's prompt response to the OP's question too.
                    Thank you. I think to my own discredit, I'm tired of the general nitpicking in this world. The standards people put on others are far less than what they put on themselves. As a business owner, I am blown away by how many people feel their dollar is worth more than other people's dollar.

The claim of the damage done by Gator Bags a few years ago was well worth noting and needed the exposure. Though I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for, even some of the drums that Epiarch allowed to leave his house were below the standard equal to what people paid. I just feel like some people you can never make happy.

I also can't believe how many people easily say, "That's a ripoff" when shopping around. It seems today everyone wants the best, yet doesn't want to pay for it. If you don't give it to them at their imaginary price, then you're a ripoff. Most people have no idea what it's like to run a business and the standards they put on these businesses, while using the Internet as a weapon, are downright unreasonable.

Comment

In my few months of lurking here before being granted posting access, I'd also found Dale's posts to be well thought out, which is why this particular one struck me as strange.

Dale, while I agree with your general points about people having higher standards for others than themselves, and not being willing to put their money where their mouth is, it seems in this circumstance that perhaps you were projecting some of your own frustrations onto a situation/thread that didn't really warrant it. The OP's tone was curiosity, not complaint.

For the record (if it matters), I also run a business, and one that is 100% contingent on customer service. So I do totally get where you're coming from.

Comment

Id just make sure your humidity level where the kit is doesn't go above 50% JIC
                        I don't think any arranger should ever write a drum part for a drummer because if a drummer can't create his own Interpretation of the chart and he plays everything that's written, he becomes mechanical; he has no freedom. Buddy Rich

Comment

No, I'm not mad. I just find some people's expectations unreasonable.
                          Dude I find his asking about the joint perfectly reasonable, I had a similar question on my Vision series ill post later today. suave choolo !

There is nothing worse than a questionable joint !
                          I like my joints perfect.
                          I don't think any arranger should ever write a drum part for a drummer because if a drummer can't create his own Interpretation of the chart and he plays everything that's written, he becomes mechanical; he has no freedom. Buddy Rich

Comment

Originally posted by malamikigo View Post
                            In my few months of lurking here before being granted posting access, I'd also found Dale's posts to be well thought out, which is why this particular one struck me as strange. Dale, while I agree with your general points about people having higher standards for others than themselves, and not being willing to put their money where their mouth is, it seems in this circumstance that perhaps you were projecting some of your own frustrations onto a situation/thread that didn't really warrant it. The OP's tone was curiosity, not complaint. For the record (if it matters), I also run a business, and one that is 100% contingent on customer service. So I do totally get where you're coming from.
                            I guess. If I had a general question, I'd simply contact the company. Let me take my negativity off the OP as it seems the answer he/she received has resolved his/her curiosity & ignorant negativity didn't run wild and continue this just for conversation's sake.

I simply find the internet, especially forums like this, a place where people can pile on anonymously with no consequence for their comments as a way people can "get even" with a company. I have seen people go on Yelp and complain about a company about policies that are clearly marked on their site and then give the company a negative review simply because they are not getting their way. Needless to say, after reading reviews such as these so many times, I've come to the conclusion to no longer use Yelp. No matter how much I know these post are ridiculous, they still sit in the back of my mind.

In my case, I own a swim school, complaining about towels being on the floor in the locker room or a client that day leaving trash at a table they were sitting at while their child was taking their class is people simply being unreasonable. What do they want, the teacher to get out of the water and inspect the entire pool area in between each class? Then they'd complain their class time was getting shorted. I guess I'm supposed to hire someone just to sit there in case of this as a client said in this review not knowing the added expense there is not possible. There is no way to respond to it either without looking cheap or uncaring. Let's say I do add this person to sit around in case something minor happens, the added expense would then obviously have to be passed on to the client. So now they want the quality of teaching my program offers, but then don't want to pay for it. I become a ripoff. In the long run, it is better for me to run the program the way I am as I can give high quality where it counts, the teaching itself, and still have a competitive price.

To be continued shortly in this thread.....

Comment

Drummer, master woodworker, bounty hunter, and leet account hacker? Spacejeff, you truly are a man of many talents.

I simply find the internet, especially forums like this, a place where people can pile on anonymously with no consequence for their comments as a way people can "get even" with a company.
                              Good thing you avoid all that awful anonymity by using your real name.

Comment

Working...
                              X