Part of my rack broke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part of my rack broke!

Part of my rack broke the other night during load in for a gig and I was wondering if you could help. The clamp at the end of the bar broke: specifically the hinge. I bought a replacement clamp DC424A and thought I could replace it. There is a screw that looks like it is holding the part in, so I removed that, but pulled and pulled and it doesn't seem like it will come out. Also, the DC424A that I purchased doesn't have a hole in it to accept the screw if I ever got it in there. Do you know what I can do to fix it? I am now trying to find the AL-18A which is the bar with the two clamps as a full replacement! I don't think the clamp on its own is replaceable. I found one place and made the order but it might be out of stock or on back order. Can you help me at all? Let me know, thanks!

Originally posted by cureformax View Post
    Part of my rack broke the other night during load in for a gig and I was wondering if you could help. The clamp at the end of the bar broke: specifically the hinge. I bought a replacement clamp DC424A and thought I could replace it. There is a screw that looks like it is holding the part in, so I removed that, but pulled and pulled and it doesn't seem like it will come out. Also, the DC424A that I purchased doesn't have a hole in it to accept the screw if I ever got it in there. Do you know what I can do to fix it? I am now trying to find the AL-18A which is the bar with the two clamps as a full replacement! I don't think the clamp on its own is replaceable. I found one place and made the order but it might be out of stock or on back order. Can you help me at all? Let me know, thanks!
    From what you describe, it sounds like you'd have to do some work to make the new clamp work. First, get a deadblow hammer, and patiently tap the bad clamp out... a couple taps on one side, then the other, then repeat until the clamp falls out. Then you tap the new clamp in. Then you'd have to drill a new hole and tap it so you could replace the set screw. Tap sets are available at Home Depot, and they are cheap. Buying a whole new square pipe with ends attached is easier, but more expensive. The big box music stores will not sell that part to you by itself. You need to find a smaller Pearl dealer, or find the part on eBay. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
      From what you describe, it sounds like you'd have to do some work to make the new clamp work. First, get a deadblow hammer, and patiently tap the bad clamp out... a couple taps on one side, then the other, then repeat until the clamp falls out. Then you tap the new clamp in. Then you'd have to drill a new hole and tap it so you could replace the set screw. Tap sets are available at Home Depot, and they are cheap. Buying a whole new square pipe with ends attached is easier, but more expensive. The big box music stores will not sell that part to you by itself. You need to find a smaller Pearl dealer, or find the part on eBay. Good luck.
      So close!

A few corrections from my experiences...

Getting the old clamp out is much easier if you can use a piece of tubing in the clamp (just like the rack leg). You can get 1.5" diameter tubing (only need 30cm or so) from any hardware store. Or, if you're like me and have customized racks, you'll have off cuts of rack leg tubing. I understand yours hinge is faulty but if you can get tension on it enough to tighten around the tube this is a good way to do it. Then all you need to do is hit the tubing on each side of the clamp until it wiggles out. And to get it back in, just do the same. I'd avoid hitting the clamp directly. Using the tubing method also protects the clamp.

You definitely don't need to re-screw the clamp in. I have customized 6 ICON racks for customers and have never re-screwed the clamps; not because I'm lazy but because I know they wont budge. I've been playing mine for 2 years (hundreds of gigs) and have never had a clamp move. Not even a millimeter.

Comment

The big box music stores will not sell that part to you by itself. You need to find a smaller Pearl dealer, or find the part on eBay. Good luck.
        Not sure what big box stores you mean, but I have ordered small replacement parts through my local guitar center many times. My advice would be to know the exact part you want, don't rely on them to find the part for you.
        I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

Comment

Matt....any chance you would know the size and threads of the tap needed? I haven't used those tools since high school...I am very rusty on it all, but an upcoming Icon mod will require such work. I know I don't need to put the screw in, it will hold just fine without it, but my OCD wants to put it back in

Comment

Originally posted by LDdrummer View Post
            Matt....any chance you would know the size and threads of the tap needed? I haven't used those tools since high school...I am very rusty on it all, but an upcoming Icon mod will require such work. I know I don't need to put the screw in, it will hold just fine without it, but my OCD wants to put it back in
            I would definitely replace the screw. Others may have never experienced troubles by simply jamming the clamp back in, but there may be a case when the screw is important. After cutting and modifying about 20 of these pipes, I remember a handful of times where the clamp end simply fell out once I removed the screw. That is not typical, but it happened about 10% of the time for me. I don't remember the size thread. When you get to that project, you can just take the screw to Home Depot and you can measure it there. I remember it was a common size, and was easy to find the tap kit.

Originally posted by wsgnst View Post
            Not sure what big box stores you mean, but I have ordered small replacement parts through my local guitar center many times. My advice would be to know the exact part you want, don't rely on them to find the part for you.
            The Sam Ash and Guitar Center near me have both told me, point blank, they are not set up to place special orders. I know they could place special orders, but they were not willing to for me. So at the least, the big box stores are inconsistent in their policies. I know I could've persisted by speaking to managers, but better service and better prices are just a phone call away.

Comment

I would definitely replace the screw. Others may have never experienced troubles by simply jamming the clamp back in, but there may be a case when the screw is important. After cutting and modifying about 20 of these pipes, I remember a handful of times where the clamp end simply fell out once I removed the screw. That is not typical, but it happened about 10% of the time for me. I don't remember the size thread. When you get to that project, you can just take the screw to Home Depot and you can measure it there. I remember it was a common size, and was easy to find the tap kit.
              I plan to reuse the existing clamp...do you think I will be able to drill a new hole and use the existing threaded hole for the clamp? That would be the ideal solution, but I thought it may be extremely hard to get the hole to line up. I think I can pull it off....any other tips on it? I know you have done a lot of mods to your racks, I appreciate the input! Thanks!

Comment

Talking about screws... finding replacement screws for the HPP2 Hoop Protector is rivalling finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Any leads or ideas appreciated!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
                8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
                Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                  Talking about screws... finding replacement screws for the HPP2 Hoop Protector is rivalling finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Any leads or ideas appreciated!
                  It sure is! I have been looking to no avail! The hardware stores local used to have really small hardware, but no longer carry it. I thought I found one but it looks just a hair to big

Comment

Originally posted by LDdrummer View Post
                    I plan to reuse the existing clamp...do you think I will be able to drill a new hole and use the existing threaded hole for the clamp? That would be the ideal solution, but I thought it may be extremely hard to get the hole to line up. I think I can pull it off....any other tips on it? I know you have done a lot of mods to your racks, I appreciate the input! Thanks!
                    It is extremely hard to do what you're saying. For all of my mods, I was cutting part of the square pipe away... so there would be no hole anymore. We would drill a brand new hole, through the square pipe and clamp, countersink the hole, and tap all the way through. It looks exactly like a factory job once it's finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                      Talking about screws... finding replacement screws for the HPP2 Hoop Protector is rivalling finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Any leads or ideas appreciated!
                      Mike, I think I have a new hoop protector in the packaging. It might have the screws with it. E-mail me and we can see if I have what you need.

Comment

Working...
                      X