Snare Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare Wires

Just recently while playing my 14x5.5 Pearl Forum snare the wires seem to be loosening themselves.
    To clarify I mean if I were to tighten it to maximum tightness then start playing for ten minutes then check again it would be extremely loose.
    I tightened the mechanism that holds the plastic tab but to be sure is there anything else I can do?
    Thanks for your help PDF!

Originally posted by brandonsdrums View Post
    Just recently while playing my 14x5.5 Pearl Forum snare the wires seem to be loosening themselves.
    To clarify I mean if I were to tighten it to maximum tightness then start playing for ten minutes then check again it would be extremely loose.
    I tightened the mechanism that holds the plastic tab but to be sure is there anything else I can do?
    Thanks for your help PDF!
    Is the tension adjustment knob backing off? or are the snare wire tabs actually sliding out of the clamp?

It sounds like you are saying the tension is backing off. It is actually not that uncommon with many brands and models of snares. The simplest fix is a rubber band. Wrap it around the knob a few times and then use a second rubber band to keep it tight against the throwoffs body. You can also use duct tape.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

Comment

Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1 View Post
      Is the tension adjustment knob backing off? or are the snare wire tabs actually sliding out of the clamp?

It sounds like you are saying the tension is backing off. It is actually not that uncommon with many brands and models of snares. The simplest fix is a rubber band. Wrap it around the knob a few times and then use a second rubber band to keep it tight against the throwoffs body. You can also use duct tape.
      I'm pretty sure that's is what happened. Your method worked perfectly! thanks for your help!

Comment

If you have a newer Forum snare drum, it should have an Allen screw holding the tension knob...please see the attached and please check.
        Attached Files

Comment

If you do, you can adjust the tension knob to increase friction to keep it from loosening as easily.

Please see the attached. Though the strainer in the photo is different than yours, the principle is the same.

Loosen the Allen screw and hold the hex part with a wrench to keep it from turning. Turn the tension knob clockwise to tighten it...just a little. Retighten the Allen screw and turn the tension knob and check how easily/difficult it turns. You want it to turn but not as easily as before.

Also, you might want to consider switching from plastic straps to snare cord. Our SNC-40/6 snare cord (pack of 6) is specially designed to resist stretching. You can wrap them around the screws on the throwoff and butt plate to make them more difficult to slip.

Also, snare wires stretch. If you're a heavy player, you might need a new set of snares.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X