open
    0%
    muffled
    0%
    no bottom head
    0%

The poll is expired.

Muffled... a little

I like to use an Aquarian Studio Ring when needed for drums too ringy. It seem to get rid of annoying overtones without killing the drum, and I personally find MoonGel to be a hassle. Also rings are not expensive.

Just a thought.
    cogito ergo Bebop a Lula

Comment

for me...

It really depends on the venue and the mic'ing situation. My fibes kit is super resonant and this can be an issue when close in mic'ing - especially the rack toms. I use (of all things) bandage tape and gauze 2x2's to quiet the ringing when full mic'ing is done. If I am using just a kick, snare, overhead mic' or no mic's at all I don't generally muffle at all. Heads are Aquarian satin finish batters on my rack toms, a vented Evans coated batter on my go to snare and Evans e-mad set up for the bass drum. Reso heads are all Aquarian single ply clear except the front of the BD.

Good drumming, drummers!
      Jimmy Fenno
      Austin, Texas

Comment

experiment with each till you get the sound you like, there is no right or wrong, it's what gets the sound you like. I slightly dampen both heads, mic from the bottom (this takes the sharp stick sound out) and I don't feel there is any "micless" venue. the drums, in my oppinion should always be "in the mix". I'm not a "power" drummer, so this method works well for me.

Comment

I honestly depends on the situation. But I like my drums wide open with Coated Ambassadors.

Comment

muffled

on the reso heads of my toms i have a fleece blanket cut to fit the tom over the head... that kills the sound if you want a deep deep deep sound and definately no resonance... great for hard core music/ punk... equivelent of a concert tom sound... ~mikeym
            VINTAGE BLUE SPARKLE DRUMSET FOR SALE - $100.00

EBAY AUCTION STARTS NOW: 5/27/07

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290122410088

Comment

Working...
            X