Too Loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Loud

I play my Pearl Forums in a garage band with my friends often. They usually complain that I play way too loud for them. I have actually played as softly as I could (while still playing quickly enough) and found that they are still to loud. Is there any way for me to muffle them without hurting the sound quality? I have tried muffle pads, but I have found that they change the sound considerably and make the drums too quiet.

Have you tried these...

http://www.regaltip.com/products/531R.html

or similar type of rod-sticks?

Comment

That's a good idea, but I also need some suggestions on things I could change on the actual kit that I could change.

Comment

its really tough to kill volume without changing the sound. My guess is that the garage has a big echo effect and your drums' soundwaves bounce all over the place. I'll also bet that your friends are using pretty small amps. Tell them to get bigger amps!

Seriously though, look at your setup first. I'd change the way all the band members are positioned first. Try to get the drums positioned so that they don't sound as loud. When I played in an echo-y basement, I used to put a the amps in front of my kit so that the sound was blocked to an extent. Put an old speaker cab or small piece of furniture in front of the bass drum if you want. Don't mess with your drums unless you absolutely have to. Most likey, its the room, not your drums or drumming technique that is causing the problem.
        I need nothing but myself and the truth
        -- UTE

Comment

Try putting something infront of your drums that could deflect some of the sound back to you. (eg. large sheet of wood, acrylic)
          5 pc Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau in Matte Sienna
          8x10 Rack Tom
          9x12 Rack Tom
          16x16 Floor Tom
          5.5x14 Snare
          17x22 Bass
          Cymbals
          14" Sabian AA Rock Hats
          20" Sabian AA Rock Ride
          16" Sabian AA Rock Crash
          14" Sabian B8 Crash
          10" Sabian B8 Splash
          14" Zidjian ZXT Trashformer

Comment

Try getting a sheet and hanging it from the celing all around you...

I have always wanted to try that...but havent ever fond the time. My guess is that this would absorb a lot of the sound and a lot of the echo. Also, they mught want to ear ear plugs.
            My self-built bebop kit, natural finish.

I am trying to rid from my life all that I can do without, including drum gear.
            I am selling:
            Sabian 17" AA Metal-X Crash
            Sabian 18" AA Heavy Ride
            Sabian 14" B8Pro Medium Hihats
            Zildjian 18" Oriental China Trash

Please PM if interested.

Comment

yeah tell them to get ear plugs first unless they want to go def and the sheet idea does work carpet also works too

Comment

I've heard of plexiglass or some similar material being used as a sort of (sound shield). Does it work, and if so, how much does it cost?

Comment

I found that Remo Muffl's brought the level of my kit down a fair bit.
                  Religion does not excuse intolerance.

Comment

plexiglass shields are generally used for small professional venues and certain "live" recording situations. They're expensive and bulky. You could get some seriously nice cymbals or a new snare for the $$ you'd waste on a shield. Have you tried any of the no-cost solutions that everybody has been posting yet? spending several hundred dollars to improve sound in a garage is just not worth it!
                    I need nothing but myself and the truth
                    -- UTE

Comment

We practice with a mixer and Headphones.
                      The keys, bass and vocals are through the board and guitar and drums are live.
                      It works great. i can drum as loud as I want.
                      Ocean Sparkle Masters
                      Here she is:
                      http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...=ocean+sparkle

Band website:
                      http://www.alwaysfrantic.com/home.cfm

Comment

Working...
                      X